Chatham County Northeast High School

Quoted post

Scott Mathias

#4 Northwood Is Fine...Today.

2011-01-11 21:36

I don't think we necessarily need a shiny new building in order to provide quality education for our children, and I am currently satisfied with my experience with Northwood HS. My concern is capacity, which when exceeded does do a disservice to our children and the teaching staff (as seen at North Chatham). One of the principal reasons given in the planning documents for delaying a new high school is that Northwood, which is only at 80% capacity today, is not expected to exceed capacity anytime soon - at least through 2020. In fact, the projection never exceeds 92% capacity. I don't know what information and method was used to develop the Northwood projection, but I am very skeptical. The projection that is presented is a point estimate, and does not include a range based on plausible alternative assumptions. I know that I do not make important personal decisions without some sense of the range of possible outcomes. I hope our civic leaders are basing decisions on good information.

Replies

#12 Re: Northwood Is Fine...Today.

2011-01-12 18:11:12

#4: Scott Mathias - Northwood Is Fine...Today. 

Scott, I think that you bring up a great point, and I'd like to hear more about it from you and others: Will signing this petition take money away from improving Northwood High School? If Northwood isn't going to reach capacity in the foreseeable future, why build a new school? I'm completely willing to sign the petition, but I want to make sure that I (and everyone else) signs the petition as knowledgeably as possible.