Operation Keep The London Toy Fair Alive!

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Operation Keep The London Toy Fair Alive!.

2015-06-15 10:36

I signed the petition because living in Guernsey Channel Islands, not many Suppliers actually come to Guernsey so without attending the Toyfair it would be very hard to see everything that is available so for us the Toyfair is ESSENTIAL!!

2015-06-15 10:39

London Toy Fair is essential to the running of our Toy Business. If suppliers don't show then it will be that much harder for me to order their ranges with any confidence.

2015-06-15 10:47

As a bricks and mortar retailer of toys I often walk away from these events stunned at the attitude towards independents, even though we are the ones that stand by the brands, we don't erode or devalue the brand and we will carry on stocking long after the latest movie/ tv show/ game has passed. This has to stop and if those brands are actually interested in a future of retail, please start taking it seriously, listen to those that ACTUALLY want to help you and employ those who are actually interested in a career in the toy industry, not two years on a CV and moving elsewhere. Some companies do get it right, others are so bad, it makes you wonder what their long term objective is?

2015-06-16 10:28

Hasbro with no stand at toy fair is a bad decision for them and the for London toy fair. This will alienate them from even more retailers!!
Realistic Indy

2015-06-16 11:23

I'm actually not bothered about suppliers pulling out because I find Toy Fair of little use to my business. I stopped attending some years ago. I couldn't get onto stands for businesses/brands I was most interested in, or they were behind closed doors, accessible only to the select few; yet most of these brands could be readily viewed online just weeks later, after New York. Add in the fact that many suppliers can be visited at Spring Fair and there's really no justification for my time and expense involved in visiting Toy Fair. I look forward to attending The Independent Toy and Gift Show for the first time next year. Toy Fair and its exhibitors need to do a lot to entice me back and until they do, I don't feel it's worth signing this petition.

David Middleton
The author of this petition

#6 Re:

2015-06-16 16:07

#5: Realistic Indy -  

If we all took the ''Realistic indy'' Approach we would all be running very dull businesses. Surely the aim of the game is to be the best that we can be in everything that we do. If the London Toy Fair isnt working for you because you cant get onto stands... Make yourself get onto stands dont just except the fact, let yourself be heard.

This petition is in many ways simular to your problem, to get the big boys to pay attension to the back bone of the toy industry and the people who support and do not devalue their products. The independents

Spring Fair is not even in the same league as London Toy Fair

What else can exhibitors do other than turn up? Its down to you yourself to make sure you see who you want to see and make the show work best for you. Size of business is irelivant, its whoever shouts the loudest.

Dont except things for what they are... change them.

Realistic Indy

#7 Re: Re: t

2015-06-16 16:57

#6: David Middleton - Re:  

That's just it. The industry is changing, because the world is changing. The Internet is a virtual toy fair. One can not only visit London, New York, Nuremburg, Hong Kong, etc from their office, but also take much longer poring over and considering the plethora of good-quality images available online - and without a salesperson pitching at you while doing so. Alongside that, there's instant and invaluable consumer reaction months before products become available and, moreover, long before the retailer has to pay out or allocate highly limited funds.

To say Spring Fair isn't in the same league as Toy Fair, well frankly, that's what will lead to dull businesses, as it's closing down the business to many exciting, complementary products and opportunities. 

Choosing not to visit Toy Fair is not a defeatist attitude. Far from it, it's taking the initiative by embracing more modern alternatives. Don't get me wrong, I applaud your efforts to attempt change in the industry, but Toy Fair is not the be-all and end-all.

2015-06-17 10:27

London Toy Fair is the most important date on the calender for the UK toy industry that is a fact. Looking at images on the internet is second rate to actually attending a show. Plus half the companies are not covered online due to NDA's and other factors. Where online can you find images of Star Wars Episode 7 product??

Images online are not a true representation of a brand.

Spring Fair is the championship to Toy Fair being the Premiership... Do Lego, Hasbro, playmobil, Epoc, Bandai, Vivid, Spinmaster, character options, Vtech and the list goes on...stand at spring fair? NO

Spring Fair is good for complementary products yes 100% agree.. But Toy Fair is primary products. Do we want a shop full of complementary items when we havent got the lines that people want... What exactly are these items complementary to?

A Toy Retailer no choosing to attend Toy Fair is beyond me, images online have been avaialable since the late 90's, this is not a modern approach.. More a lazy one.

Toy Fair is no the be-all and end-all no... But the toy industry would be alot sader place without it

2015-06-18 14:01

We need the london toy fair to keep going to view new product .