Concerns:The Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Concerns:The Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act.

2015-06-21 01:07

I feel too many times we make changes in the wrong direction because of the misleading language used to persuade, not educate, that cause more negative and long lasting damage effects in the future. I feel this decision should be based only on scientific research and/or study and interpreted by qualified professionals. Do some research on prison populations in regards to mental illness or impairment. More than half of our jails and/or prisons are populated by mentally ill or impaired prisoners and/or inmates. These persons have not had adequate or much needed ongoing treatment and therefore many are not just for the first or second time. I am sure you could operate at significantly reduced cost in hospitalization with what you are presenting ,but don't you already operate with significant reduced cost being that if studied you would find that most of our mentally ill and/or impaired already being in jail or prison? I guess, "out of sight, out of mind". Check solitary confinement and I would be willing to bet that about 90% of those being housed in solitary confinement are and have been mentally and/or impaired. I am so glad there are qualified professionals that can see through your persuasive language.

2015-06-21 05:01

I understand people and I understand psychology; this bill is not designed in a way that is in the best interest of people with any kind of mental illness.

2015-06-22 14:16

My own lived experiences cause me to disagree with the conclusions and remedies offered in this bill. We must look more closely and more impartially at the actual unbiased results of the current practices and medications. There is mounting evidence that the medications are in fact doing more harm than good.

2015-06-22 16:19

I signed because so much of this bill denies basic civil and human rights to individuals with disabilities. We cannot pick and choose which gpu had rights and which ones we deny rights to.

2015-06-22 20:01

Because it is more than obvious that these "so called representatives of the "People" are in fact only interested in lining their pockets of the pharmaceutical companies and "blaming mental illness," for the atrocities that are brought on thanks to the greed and corruption of the corporations and the NRA, not to mention the "privatized prisons" that have become even more profitable. Even the Title, "Concerns: the helping families in mental Health Crisis Act is misrepresentative and just another example of shifting the blame in the name of greed and corruption. These Republicans, in particular, will return us to the the "Dark Ages," where people were imprisoned, especially women, for having a different opinion. STOP these MAD MEN because what they are trying to do is truly MAD.

2015-06-22 20:14

I signed this petition because I believe it is unconstitutional in nature, in that it seeks to deprive a class of people from their constitutional rights without proper due process rights. By medicalizing this issue it hides what it is truly about and that is both social control and enhancing control and financial profit for both the psychiatric and pharmaceutical industries. These goals fly in the face of the Recovery Movement that has allegedly been adopted by this county's efforts to address both mental health and substance abuse problems. It also violates Supreme Court decisions such as Olmstead and ignores a majority of scholarship that demonstrates that community placement with adequate social support is the key to best outcomes. It also blatantly ignored vital aspects of the Recovery Model such as Self Determination and Trauma Informed Care which the Murphy Bill doesn't address at all, except in the negative. Listen to the real experts on mental health: the consumers! We know more about what we need to do well than anyone else, more than our families, more than our doctors, exceedingly more than the CEOs of pharmaceutical industries and more than our legislators. There are many more things we could use to make things better, but this bill with its draconian features is not it! Scrap this bill and begin again except this time let top notch consumers and their selected advocates be the principle authors of the bill. Stop Murphy's Folly!

2015-06-22 20:27

My Children and I were forcibly drugged by the State of Wisconsin for over a decade. It ruined our lives and we are lucky to be alive today. My oldest Daughter Tabitha was not so lucky she died at age 27.

2015-06-22 21:52

The mental health system is in crisis but mandating forced treatment is Not the answer. Problems in our society which are being blamed on mental illness are the result of an unrepentant sense of entitlement, racism and bigotry towards a number of marginalized groups of people not mental illness.

2015-06-23 00:15

This bill is an appalling backward step for the American people

2015-06-23 01:46

Forced treatment does not work. It only serves to re-traumatize suffering people and make money for the drug companies.
Michael

2015-06-23 12:29

The Murphy Bill (HR2646) further propels the notion that American citizens can legally be found to present a possible risk to the public, and thus be quasi-incarcerated by forced hospitalization. This is in violation of the US constitiution, in that such forced incarcerations bypass the civil rights of citizens who may be considered problematic and thus removed from the community without the application of criminal charges nor a trial by jury as are the rights of all American citizens.

The notion of "Pre-Crime" and the possiblity of forcibly dealing with the potential for causing harm is obvious in this bill, as it feeds upon the fears of the American people. I recall the Nixon/Agnew years when discussions of "preventitive detention" laws were considered in regard to those whose views could be "problematic" in a political sense.

Our nation was founded on the concept of individual liberty, and a concensus reality founded on both fear and outrage destroys our liberty. Finally, HR 2646 is in violation of several articles contained in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of the United Nations; of which Eleanor Roosevelt was chair of the drafting committee. Her husband, Franklin, is well known for the statement: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself". Legislations such as the Murphy Bill play upon fear and seek to establish order under the guise of "helping", thus our trajectory is order, not liberty and opportunity.

The concept of the "individual" itself is eroded, wherein every person must either self-identify with some larger group of affiiation, or must be forced into one for their own good. The corporate groups that will benefit from this bill are the pharmaceutical companies, and the large mental health provider agencies who already are the de-facto owners of thousands of individuals forced into a herd that provide insurance company billings.

We criminalize the poor, the "different", the eccentric, the one's left behind by fate or fury... There is a bronze plaque at the statue of liberty that poetically describes what America represents; why persons continue to seek liberty here. It is well worth reading.

-Michael Saunders,  Chatham NY

2015-06-23 13:07

This is a horrible bill!

2015-06-24 18:34

This bill will halt many year of slow progress and return us to a history of rights violations and treatments of stabilization rather than advocating for the opportunity to recover.

2015-06-25 17:31

I disagree with the bill, it's the wrong move to solve the problem.

2015-06-26 06:15

Because I have been trying to get help for years with a family members mental health and i feel failed by our systems.

2015-06-27 17:30

Decisions regarding mental health care need to be made by us.

2015-06-27 20:15

My son has lived experience and is thriving as a result of being free to choose alternatives to the medical model. Instead of being locked up and drugged, costing taxpayers millions of dollars, he is a hard-working tax-payer, devoted husband and father and a joy to all who know him.

A bill like Senator Murphy's can only pass in a climate of ignorance and greed. It helps only those of the lowest character whose main goal in life appears to be financial gain at any cost. They will even go so far as to lie and tell you it is scientific fact. What a travesty. When our elected "representatives" look upon us as pawns to be used and thrown away as best serves their financial goals, I think it is safe to say that this country has lost its way.

2015-07-03 16:27

we cant let this bring us backwards. I want to move forward!

2015-07-08 13:23

The death, disease, disability and addiction caused by the psych/drug industry is out of control. In the Public Interest; the public must take a stand to safeguard itself from the tyranny of organized abuse. That's what this social control is.
joe

2015-10-02 12:49

All laws repugnant to the U.S. Constitution are null and void. Marbury vs Madison 1803

In NYS it is nothing more than a medicade scam, has nothing to do with helping anyone!