NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education.

2016-09-27 06:38

Thank you. I'm just a normal employee working for a salary with 2 kids at NMMU studying with bank loans. They need and want to study.

2016-09-27 06:42

Because we must give the students who really want to study a chance!

2016-09-27 06:52

Because i am sick and tired of the nmmu siding with a minority group and ignoring the legitimate plight and constitutional rights of other students who as a group are by far the majority.

2016-09-27 06:53

Because my son is being denied his right to continue & complete his degree this year by a minority of disgruntled students who must take up their cause with the Government not the University!

2016-09-27 06:55

My daughter is a final year student and has to do internship from January 2017. Therefore she can not go to class next year as she has to work. If she still has to study next year, we will have to pay extra for further accommodation as she will not be receiving a salary.

2016-09-27 06:58

Because I believe I have paid my fees and my son has the right to finish this year. Also basic education should be free and Higher education should be paid for unless you cannot afford it and you have filled in forms to apply for free Higher Education at the Varsity where you intend to get your degree and all your information is deemed to be found true and not fraudulent then you may go free or given a discount.
Roozo

#32 Fees should be paid!!!

2016-09-27 06:59

Because I believe I have paid my fees and my son has the right to finish this year. Also basic education should be free and Higher education should be paid for unless you cannot afford it and you have filled in forms to apply for free Higher Education at the Varsity where you intend to get your degree and all your information is deemed to be found true and not fraudulent then you may go free or given a discount.

2016-09-27 07:03

So i can finish my diploma

2016-09-27 07:10

NMMU is an educational entity and cannot just be closed without reasonable motivation. Studies have been paid for and students must have the right to complete their studies.

2016-09-27 07:17

Very good. We can also have a chance to speak up for our children that want to get a digree in time. This is unfair to them. Many of these children already linded up interviews and signed contracts for work next year.

2016-09-27 07:17

Although I understand that the strike is for in fact a good cause, it is however preventing others from studying which is unfair.

2016-09-27 07:18

I want to study and i will pay for it because i choose to work not expect everything on a silver platter.

2016-09-27 07:20

So that the students who want to learn will be allowed to do so and not be dictated to by the mindless few.
No name

#39 International Student Plight

2016-09-27 07:20

I must confess, this protest has been messing with my feelings. As an international student i paid a lot to get this education but im been deprived of it....the university must do something about the students willing to study and not allow some unwilling student disturb the peace of the society , im really disappointed with the fact that a university student will be wanting free higher education how low can their thinking be because .it can never be possible because even Advanced european countries dont even have free higher education and moreover  and for the fact that higher education is an option.....

After getting the mail that Nmmu sent and they are saying till further notice it affected my psychological thinking because all i can think off is just write my exams and go to my country.....OUR VOICES MUST BE HEARD WE DONT SUPPORT THE CLOSING DOWN OF THE UNIVERSITY ...WE WANT TO GO BACK TO CLASS AND STUDY ...I WANT TO GO BACK TO MY COUNTRT 

2016-09-27 07:23

Students have the right to education, especially if they pay for their studies. They also have the right to complete their studies in time. They have worked hard in school to be accepted at university. They have worked even harder to make a success of their studies. It is unacceptable that they, especially the final year students, be held back by a few hundred people.

2016-09-27 07:26

I signed this petition because I am a final year student and I am so close to finishing my degree that I have worked so hard for over the past few years. I have one exam that I need to write which was scheduled for the 27th October 2016. I have gone ahead making plans to secure a job, a dream job which I might add and planned to start the 1st of November since I would be done with university. Very few employers will actually grant you a job so soon after finishing varsity with no experience but to have this happen, and on top of it follow my dream is something that made me so happy. I am however now so confused, angry and frustrated that a small minority are holding me back from this dream. I just with negotiations could take place on the side so we can go back to class and writing tests. I am also not from PE and have a contract with my landlord, I will be forced to find other accommodation should the protests continue into the new academic year as rumour has it. This will be very costly to my family. These protesters are holding me back from my dreams.

2016-09-27 07:28

Because my child's future is being toyed with. I am working hard to pay his tuition fees and now he cant even prepare for his finals

2016-09-27 07:46

I am currently a final year B. Pharm (Pharmacy) student at NMMU. I have to do my internship next year (2017) and many of my fellow students already signed contracts with pharmacies to do theirs. Bursary givers also expect students to start working back their years of study, starting next year, as we claimed that we will be completing our studies in 2016. I am in receipt of a bursary myself, a bursary that will not provide me with any more funds again next year as this is, as mentioned, my final year. I am not from PE and thus I have to rent a flat during the course of my studies. If I have to stay in PE next year to complete my studies, I will not have the bursary to cover me anymore and I will not be earning a salary from my internship as I was supposed to, as I cannot do my internship without my degree. That means that my parents have to pay my rent as well as provide me with money for essentials, which they don't have the money to do, hence my initial need for the bursary I received. Most of my course theory is also completed. I have about half a month's worth of lectures left (if that many), the rest are all tests. Meaning that I am basically done with everything I have to learn to receive my degree, yet I am prevented from writing my test to get it finalised. So close, yet now, so far. I cannot waste 6 months for a month's worth of work. The reason why I came to university is because I have ambitions and a future planned, none of which are achieved by sitting and doing nothing. It is not only 6 months of studies, it is 6 months of my whole life. I worled EXTREMELY hard during the past four years, not to wait for my degree due to a handful of people taking away my human right to education, but to be a working pharmacist beginning of 2017. I understand that educational costs are a huge problem, but you cannot put a person's life on hold indefinitely...

2016-09-27 07:49

While I support the notion that there is not being done to aid higher education for the poor, the responsibility lies with the government to provide solutions. The university has been allowing a minority of destructive elements to prevent the rest of us from receiving the educational services we payed for. They have not placed any importantce on the futures of the students who want nothing more than to study and instead continue to entertain the behaviours of criminals and the like. This needs to end, the university needs to stand up for it's students and uphold it's responsibility towards them.

2016-09-27 07:49

Students have no reason why they are striking. Those leading the strike most of them are NSFAS students and are not affected by this fee increment, why are they striking then? Are they striking on behalf of the privileged who have accepted the ministers decision? . Free education is impossible at the moment in South Africa every student is aware of that, it will take number of years for free education to be implemented in universities.

2016-09-27 08:01

My daughter is being deprived of her right to study, attend classes safely and write her tests and exams on schedule.

2016-09-27 08:10

The protesters violate our children's right to fair education! There are other civilized ways of protest. Education is expensive and our children cannot afford to miss classes or postponing exams to a following year. Please allow those who want to attend classes to do so!!!

2016-09-27 08:15

As a first year student I wanted to study at this university. At this very moment it feels like I made a mistake since I don't know if i will complete my first year in the time frame. How does students that need to make that same decision for next year feel about this situation i'm thinking that they are going to think twice before they are coming to a university were they can't even complete their studies.

2016-09-27 08:16

If you paid your fee you have the right to education. Away with the few who are causing problems.

2016-09-27 08:18

Because I have 2 sons at uni who wishes to complete their studies on time on not on the demands from people who is mot really interested in education.