Cycle Route Between Middlesbrough & Guisborough

/ #40

2013-11-03 13:42

Along with three friends I have just completed a 4 day tour cycling from Peterborough back to Teesside. Along the route there were several places where we crossed main railway lines via gated crossings on minor roads perfectly safely and legally. I accept that the Nunthorpe crossing is more complex and, technically, in order to cross and have access to the Guisborough cycle way, you have to cycle along railway property on the trackside. I think that thissituation leads to Network Rails strenuous efforts to stop cyclists and walkers from crossing at this place. I cannot believe, however, that with a little cooperation, a solution cannot be found. For instance, if the path on the north side of the crossing leading to the Guisborough cycle way was securely fenced off this would avoid the trespass and danger on the track side. This would avoid the increasing scope and cost of preventative measures Network Rail are using. CCTV etc. Alternatively, but more expensively, access to the cycleway could be provided from North of the legal rail crossing on Morton Carr Lane.
Where is Sustrans in this?