Cycle Route Between Middlesbrough & Guisborough

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Cycle Route Between Middlesbrough & Guisborough.

2013-10-24 20:21

Why don't they contruct a bridge over the tracks that walkers and cyclists could use ?

2013-10-24 20:50

To block off the Nunthorpe pinchinthorpe cycle/walkway route at the rail crossing is a completely backward step. From my point of view as a railway signal tech this is a completely unnecessary safety step. There are dozens of user worked crossing all over the u.k. And many of them carry far more risk than Morton carr lane.

2013-10-24 21:53

Cycling should be encouraged and made accessible now more than ever, instead of making it more hassle than it's worth.

2013-10-24 22:38

this closure has stopped not only my friends and i but also we used to encourage the kids from age 6 to 16 to get on their bikes . they loved it because not only was it a safe scenic route but the kids could stop off at the forest and learn at the center, then we all had a cuppa and snack before going further on to roseberry topping, high cliff ,guisborough and many other routes that all started from that SAFE crossing. its unfair

2013-10-25 01:30

Where are our green routes if this access is closed? Travel by cycle is becoming more important, not only for the individual needs to save on travel costs, but also for the countries needs to cut down on fuel consumption.... and also the global need for this cut down. I think Teeside of all counties, should have this as a priority.

2013-10-25 06:34

many people have used this crossing to access guiborough woods via the disused railway. We request an official crossing to enable access

2013-10-25 11:05

it is the natural way to open between mbro and guisborough for the public cyclist and walkers alike,keeping the people of the main roads safely,
and encourage people to go out and have a healthy life style

why should they block the rail crossing which is in place between two perfect public walkways madness

jub

2013-10-25 18:51

bikes forever

2013-10-26 14:36

I use this path when I vist my grandmar. the main road is too dangerous especially at night and in winter when the days are getting shorter.

2013-10-27 15:02

That's shocking you idiots

2013-10-28 00:10

2013-10-28 08:41

I cycle all over Cleveland & North Yorkshire & one part I have to avoid is cycling from Guisborough to Middlesbrough as there is no bike path.

2013-10-30 19:18

Short sighted closure by authorities.

2013-10-30 21:57

we need safe family friendly cycle routes

2013-11-03 13:42

Along with three friends I have just completed a 4 day tour cycling from Peterborough back to Teesside. Along the route there were several places where we crossed main railway lines via gated crossings on minor roads perfectly safely and legally. I accept that the Nunthorpe crossing is more complex and, technically, in order to cross and have access to the Guisborough cycle way, you have to cycle along railway property on the trackside. I think that thissituation leads to Network Rails strenuous efforts to stop cyclists and walkers from crossing at this place. I cannot believe, however, that with a little cooperation, a solution cannot be found. For instance, if the path on the north side of the crossing leading to the Guisborough cycle way was securely fenced off this would avoid the trespass and danger on the track side. This would avoid the increasing scope and cost of preventative measures Network Rail are using. CCTV etc. Alternatively, but more expensively, access to the cycleway could be provided from North of the legal rail crossing on Morton Carr Lane.
Where is Sustrans in this?

2013-11-07 19:19

I fully support this petition, as a keen cyclist some friends & myself used to ride from Nunthorpe to Guiborough along the old railway line to Pinchinthorpe, earlier this year the crossing over the tracks at the Nunthorpe end was closed off meaning if we wanted to get over onto the old track we have to take a detour through 3 fields & over 4 stys making it very difficult for people who are unable to lift their bikes over the fences into the fields!! The descision to close off that particular crossing point was ludicrous as the point of crossing now is further down the track & on a dangerous bend!! Isn`t the point to get more people out on their bikes & not to put obstacles in their way.

#42 Cycle route between Middlesbrough and Guisborough

2013-11-17 22:28

Well i cycled there this morning from Nunthorpe and sure enough just passed the dip as the path joins the Pinchinthorpe route there is a newly erected fence which has already been partly pulled down. There will soon be a serious accident such as someone ripping their leg on the barbed wire, someone twisting their ankle whilst crossing the line or worse case someone being killed on the horrid Guisborough Road. This has just increased the risk of injury so Network Rail you should be ashamed of yourself along with the farmers too. I for one will not be cycling along the roadway and i will take on any of the farmers who try and stop me.

2013-11-20 08:42

Well in the last few weeks in London there has been 6 fatal accidents involving large vehicles and cyclists along with 2 local which is extremely sad. This is due to the cyclists having to content with vehicles on main roads yet the government are encouraging us to use cycles. Now with the crossing becoming unusable it will force the cyclists onto the busy Guisborough Road which involves dual carriageways and horrendous speeds. So thank you very much for this closure as you have now sealed the fate of a cyclist on that road as an accident will occur. Why not put signs up at the crossing with a telephone so the cyclist can call the signal box at Nunthorpe Station for permission to cross. If a train was due the signalman would simply say wait a few minutes. Network Rail along with the farmers have a duty of care on that crossing yet to date there has never been any reports of near misses etc. To enforce that duty of care for the cyclists why not have the cyclist contact the signal box and everyone is happy. There is surely a common denominator which is missing here from Network Rail and the farmers which is common sense

2013-11-27 12:42

I cycle to Guisborough a lot but feel there is no safe route. The main road into Guisborough is not safe for bikes

2013-12-05 18:10

Shame on you Network Rail for doing this. Somebody will be seriously hurt due to being forced into using the dual carriageway where as no one has ever been hurt nor has there ever been any close calls on the crossing.

2013-12-11 22:36

A cycle route should be established as a matter of it urgency!
The only route joining these towns is fast and dangerous. There are options for this route which can readily be sanctioned- do it before we have yet more cycling death statistics. Help us to take sustainable options when travelling!!
GJH

2014-03-12 23:00

unfortunately since the closure myself and cycle friends along with our kids have basically stopped going to Guisborough forest on the bikes. Its just a really stupid decision considering to get to the crossing I already had to cross the line twice. What makes it worse you have a great bridleway feet away from the crossing and you cannot get to it!! The sad thing is it will take a serious accident on the road before anybody considers a safe cycle route...
Denny

#48 morton carr level crossing

2014-04-11 17:39

I believe it is a given that care needs to be exercised when using unmanned crossings. However, if you use the main road between Swans Corner and Guisborough the safety of cyclists is largely out of their hands being overtaken from behind by vehicles often doing seventy mph plus and are virtually inches away. Cyclists or pedestrian using this particular crossing normally have good vision of the track in both directions and the train usual sounds its horn some distance off. Thus anyone using this crossing in a sensible manner is the master of their own safety.
Not so happy Farmer

#49 Re: morton carr level crossing

2014-05-07 19:46

#48: Denny - morton carr level crossing

Network Rail seek to close over 700 field crossings "in the interests of safety" It is a numbers exercise to improve safey by closing crossings, regardless of whether there is a genuine safety issue! There have been several very near misses over the years at Morton Carr light controlled level crossing  when the "infallible" lights fail to work. The last one occured  today 7th March when a diesel train crossed against the lights and stopped at the other side. The previous time, about a month ago, the steam locomotive Sir Nigel Greslely stopped short of the crossing until permission was obtained to proceed with caution.The line of sight towards Nunthorpe is non existent for anyone in a motor vehicle and that will be raised with the area crossings manager tomorrow, together with other concerns including the cattle grid (which was provided to make  the original crossing gates and crossing keeper redundant) and which is not fit for purpose now and is covered with noisy steel plates to stop it collapsing. They have plans to upgrade the crossing to automatic half barriers and being the adjacent landowner I can guarantee that, if we don't get any sense out of them, they will have to access the crossing via their own railway line and not via Morton Carr Lane. For the record, we do not obstruct or object to cyclists in any way and we do work very closely with the Redcar & Cleveland rights of way officer.

#50 Re: Re: morton carr level crossing

2014-06-01 19:41

#49: Not so happy Farmer - Re: morton carr level crossing

So what happened during the last meeting thenwith the Redcar & Cleveland rights of way officer? I seem to remember a farmer last month told me that Network Rail were paying the farmers 20,000 pounds as a one off payment to allow closure of such crossings. I have now seen that metal fencing has been put up which now makes it impossible for cyclists unless they use the sty's or Guisboro Rd. So Mr Not so happy Farmer thanks very much, obviously a cyclist life is worth less than the 20,000 pounds.