Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services

Chauck

/ #6

2014-10-17 00:32

My son has autism as well and now resides in Toronto. While he is capable of riding the bus on his own, he needs to be directed when to get on and when to get off. Toronto and GO Transit drivers have been very accommodating. He and his house mates occasionally use Handi-Transit and never have any issues. My son, 47, is quite capable of very physical outbursts and at 185 Lbs can be destructive. Thankfully this hasn't been an issue with the buses as he enjoys riding. Drivers make certain he is seated when boarding and that he leaves at the proper location. Unfortunately the focus with this syndrome spectrum has been on the early years and little has been done to respond for adults. Community and Social Services Ministry could put a stop to this easily - simply inform Transit the funding will stop until there is a change. A disability is a disability - years ago we only heard of the physically disabled. I thought we were past that and had become properly inclusive. What a sad statement about those  responsible for this situation affecting so many of our vunerable citizens!Here's hoping those setting this stage never need these services.