Support CT National Dragway

/ #279

2014-11-06 21:35

I strongly support the Connecticut National Dragway.
In a world where virtual reality is at epidemic proportion this facility would provide an opportunity for professional competitors, "home-grown" automotive enthusiasts and tomorrow's competitors (as well as would-be engineers and technicians) to participate in a truly unique "hands-on" activity. Beyond the obvious business and financial benefits (it would be THE facility for RI, CT and most of Mass) the planned facility would encourage interest in a highly technical activity which cannot be safely (or lawfully) engaged in otherwise.
The unlawful behavior of car enthusiasts is an obvious problem reduced historically by the availability of a drag strip for "testing and tuning". I believe that the number of these potential "street racers" that would embrace a local drag strip is alone very significant- perhaps huge.
As an engineering instructor I am constantly using automotive references, particularly race car features, to illustrate concepts to mechanical engineering students. Since virtually all non-stock cars seen at a drag-racing facility are highly engineered, built and inspected by people who must be knowledgeable the implication to encouraging technical education is obvious. The social component is also significant: mentor-student relationships are a big aspect of drag racing and can be key to educating and influencing young people.
Please note that a significant difference between drag racing and other auto racing (such as sports car) is cost: drag racing is far more accessible to the average citizen- classes include even the stock (or mildly modified) "family grocery-getter"- with the technical principles the same regardless of performance level. Many local businesses will be created and grow by also filling the technical needs of the market created by highly competitive participants.
The overall concept also focuses upon family fun with an emphasis upon participation- I can't imagine any other venue that more enables family members to run a car on an official race track at such low risk and cost. A visit to a track such as Lebanon Valley Dragway clearly demonstrates both the family aspect and how average people can build and race a car at relatively low cost. Most people are there (on non-event days) not as spectators but are actually running a car- regardless of how fast/slow, new/old, expensive/cheap, etc. and it always seems crowded with cars and drivers.
Lastly, the success of this facility sends the message that Connecticut, in areas such as this, is proactively looking forward outside "the box"- a very refreshing stance with much wider business implications.
I am certain that the Connecticut National Dragway will be highly successful and I am looking forward to the opening of its doors. -Paul Mileski