SAVE HEIDI'S LIFE

Jean Bacardi
The author of this petition

/ #34 Re: I Expect there is More Going on Here

2015-03-05 16:31

#33: - I Expect there is More Going on Here 

Hello, please call me or e-mail me if you'd like more information. Or call the mayor or board members directly if they will speak to you.  They won't speak to us, so we have not been told why the village board has rejected our settlement offer to re-home Heidi in order to keep her alive.  

Refer to the Illinois Animal Control Act:  the State of Illinois does not legislate the killing of dogs-- even in the most extreme circumstances the dangerous/viscious dog is allowed to remain with its owner under strict confinement rules.  Only in the case of the  owners not complying with those rules can the State order killing the dog.  Heidi has only nipped on her own property-- another stipulation of the Animal Control Act-- a dog cannot be considered dangerous  or viscious if the bite occurs on its own property.  Furthermore, the State requires a licensed veterinarian or other animal behavior professional to make a determination of dangerous or viscious. Not a small village police chief who never met the dog and cannot even identify her. 

Hawthorn Woods has ignored the State Laws-- the village claims they can make their own rules, even when they conflict with the State's, and adjudicate them in their little court in the barn with an administrative law judge paid by them.  The attorney, the mayor and possibly the Board want to punish us, the humans, and the viscious way they are pursuing this is through killing our beloved family pet. We know that many if not all of the board members are sympathetic to our case, but we suspect there is a culture of silence and not speaking out against the powers-that-be in Hawthorn Woods-- lest retribution will occur.