SAVE HEIDI'S LIFE

/ #39 This quest by the village seems very extreme

2015-03-05 22:29

All,

Not knowing all of the details or background of Heidi but based upon the petition and comments within, I will state that I am appalled by the village's insistence to put Heidi down.  I urge the village to give Heidi back to her family or, worst case if Heidi does pose a "nipping" risk to the public, make the family pay for training and allow Heidi to be given to a good, pet loving family outside of the neighborhood.

I also assume there is more to the story than what is listed in the petition and from comments it seems as if Heidi may have nipped at other folks before this event but only on her own property.  If this is the worst that has happened then how can anyone reason that this is just cause to put a dog to death? 

Yes, I also view the $28k spent on prosecution as a tremendous waste of our village's tax dollars and the village board should be held accountable for validity of this expenditure.  However, my main reason for concern is Heidi's life.  Life and death is too precious to be judged by folks unqualified to make such decisions.

I'll further suggest that the local news channels be contacted in the context of judgement of Heidi's life and potential misuse of tax dollars.  While a bit far reaching, perhaps Cesar Milan (the dog whisperer) should also be contacted.  He had a very nice show on the virtues of pit bulls and why this breed gets an undeserving bad reputation.

In full disclosure, my family owns a dog and I have grown up with dogs my entire life.  Each one has/had it's own personality and traits - most good, a few bad - just like all of us but I do not see anyone in the village calling for the death of their human neighbor because of small mistakes or misunderstandings. 

Let us all move this planet towrads a more kind and compassionate place to live.