To the Texas State Senate, Texas State Legislature Body and Driver Responsibility Program

Hannah

/ #7 The vicious cycle that is the driver responsibility program

2015-05-14 14:53

I am a single working mother who has spent thousands of dollars stuck in this surcharge trap since 2010 that all began with a "driving without financial responsibility" ticket while pregnant the prior year. I never even knew what a surcharge was when I paid the ticket off shortly after receiving it, until a year later when I get pulled over and asked the officer confused why he was pulling me over what the issue was since I thought I was obeying all traffic laws at the time. He said he was sitting behind me at the light and ran my plates, and saw my license was suspended, which I had no idea it even was at the time! I call Austin and that's when I learned about this whole scheme of the driver responsibilty program, but not without having received a ticket at that stop for driving with a suspended license, which in itself is an ADDITIONAL surcharge on top of the one I didn't know I had from driving uninsured the year before. Since then it turned into a vicious cycle that I struggled, WHILE finishing school AND as a single mom of 2, to get out of. Finally, 5 years, thousands of dollars, a couple arrests for driving with a suspended license ALONE, car towed 3 times, having lost my job for not being able to get to work, and sitting out tickets FOR the driving while license suspended tickets since I couldn't always pay them, I'm OH SO GLAD to have this demon off my back. I just received my degree in Business, work overtime every week, and in NO way consider myself a loser who "deserved this for breaking the law." This program hurts more than it helps! Lawmakers, listen to the people youi're supposed to serve!