Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Jennifer

/ #54

2011-02-19 15:42

I sure hope there is a next step to this, such as making them give us back the calendar we prefer. I am not clear on how the 4 who voted against this calendar can justify themselves. Was is pressure from the 6 Flags corp? Chamber of Commerce? Was it really the Utilities? Something else entirely? They need to fess up.

If it was big business, could we please see the studies and how those two weeks really effect our county. If it's the utilities, could we just keep this calendar but push it back two weeks so we start on the 15th but don't get out until June 15? Does it really save millions? Where can I see this on paper?

Honestly, what I care about is really what I witness in my school and home. I have been working in the schools about 8 years and this is the first time I am not seeing the glazed look of stress and defeat which usually starts to settle on the teachers faces this time of year. My children are happier- thus happier to learn. My staff at the school seems to know that breaks are right around the corner and attendance is better than ever. I am happier.

People say- "Well it's not about that, it's about the students education and you are only worried about yourself, your vacation, you!".
No. Not. True. I do not think ANY calendar will make that much of a difference in testing scores. I think they make a heck of a lot of difference in students and staff attitudes though. Is the Aug 1st start date somehow lacking in education? School is still in session the same amount of days.
What's the next step here?