Petition for the August 1st Calendar

Diane Krause

/ #66 Balanced Calendar

2011-02-19 16:50

While the new board members were voted in on the traditional calendar, I find it disturbing that they didn't give the balanced calendar at least a year or two of the committed three and look at the actual Cobb County data before reversing all of the hard work, reasoning, data, debate, effort and time that was put into the original decision. There were good reasons for the decision in the first place....so much so that two board members actually went against their election promises and voted for the balanced calendar! Of course, public opinion has completely supported the balanced calendar as well! So....go ahead and listen to Cobb Needs Summers...probably partnering with businesses like Six Flags....instead of looking at actual data and listening to the teachers and parents that bothered to show up at the meeting! It is very disappointing to know that our elected officials are spending so much time and effort on reversing well founded decisions. Meanwhile....the families of Cobb County, who have adjusted and made plans....and embraced the balanced calendar....are having to readjust and reverse plans. In my case.....my son has greatly benefitted from the breaks and we have taken the opportunity to enrich our son's education and life experiences during these breaks.