Petition for the August 1st Calendar

/ #677 Keep the original plan

2011-03-05 13:46

What are parents suppose to do when we've made expensive, once in a lifetime plans for these breaks we were told we would have? We were told this is your schedule for the next 3 years, and we made plans accordingly. And what about the local businesses that changed their business models to accommodate our school schedules? It's not easy to go back and change plans for some. I know the Scouts plan week long trips over these breaks because it's easier to get into places. My older kids are in ROTC, and these breaks afford them the opportunity to go on trips without missing school. They also afford them extra practice time right before their Championship Meets. Some of us actually read the schedule and plan our lives accordingly. Obviously, these school board members don't. My kids hardly ever miss school. I plan all appointments around their school schedule. This Fall, they will miss 5 school days because I cannot cancel our trip without a major financial penalty. Now my kids will be penalized because these people spent time and more of my money on something that was already settled.