Saving CYTO

Nicholas Kavanagh

/ #62 Save CYTO

2011-03-15 00:32

I am completely shocked to hear that CYTO is in danger of being shut down. The people in charge of making this decision need to look closely at how integral CYTO is to the lives of the thousands that have passed through its doors over its many years. A place where; personality, friendship, talent and creativity are allowed to flourish. It would be a very sad day if we let such an important organisation slip through our hands. CYTO has represented not just its Borough but England itself while it has toured ground breaking shows to festivals and performance spaces such as the 'Tate'. I had the great pleasure of collaborating with CYTO on two seperate occasions, when both our youth theatres performed a co-production in 2007 and 2008. It was an incredible experience for the young people on both sides, a time when life-long friendships were made. I ask the powers that be not to shut CYTO down but instead to put more money into it and allow it to grow and prosper. Think not of the money but of the lives of the young people that CYTO has and will continue to nurture and enhance through; theatre, dance, film and friendship.
Nicholas Kavanagh
WATERFORD YOUTH ARTS (Ireland)