Say no to stalybridge mosque

/ #477 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

2013-11-06 00:04

#472: - Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:  Totalitarianism means no free speech and the banning of ideas etc by means of absolute state control to impose an official ideology. Criminalisation/demonisation by deliberate state backed over reaction to the use of a word during an argument for example, such as arresting someone for using specific racially based insults and massively disproportionately punishing them, is an attempt to assert state control. Calling someone nigger or redneck should carry the same punishment, i.e none other than perhaps a minor telling off, as calling someone fat or ugly. The police however are now under official instruction to heavily prioritise ANYTHING to do with cultural/racial overtones, however minor the actual nature of the offence might be. This is for example why many people say, 'the'n' word' when they mean nigger. In other words, the word itself is potentially unpleasant but no more than many other insulting words and should be used freely whenever appropriate. If it's used as an offhand insult it's simply bad manners and nothing to do with the state. I would only 'presume to be judged negatively for using it' by some if I used it an the wrong context, not for just using it. You have admitted you were wrong to say 'an entire generation finding a word offensive'. Presumably people of all generations have the ability, or lack of it, to discriminate whether a word is offensive and that that depends very heavily on the context. You have no idea if I'm in the minority in my views and something being 'outdated', i.e if it's modern it's right, has absolutely nothing to do with whether it's correct or not. I DO use the word very occasionally in discussion of the subject. Attempting to prohibit and censor it even when used in a normal context, by deliberate state over reaction and criminalisation is fascistic and overbearing state intimidation.