Keep Original NISD Proposed Boundaries for Ellison Elementary

/ #9 I agree with S. Myers comments

2013-12-12 17:45

Beautifully articulated, S. Myers! I feel guilty for being silent about these border changes. When they were asking for petition signatures to change the original decision and sending emails, I expressed that I would not sign or participate in their argument. Unfortunately, it didn't come to my attention that the boundary committee needed our vocal support at the meeting until it was too late. We are the silent majority. Change is scary. I'm sure there are families in Steeplebrook and Stonewall Ranch that are nostalgic and somewhat frightened to leave LSE as much as the Dominion residents are to lose them. When faced with the long-term goals and planning from the committee, however, it is my expectation that most will see that sometimes change is necessary for the greater good. Unfortunately, LSE will lose a lot at first. To think that they will fail to thrive and find no gains, is unreasonable. Dr. Dodge-Clay is a fantastic leader and I have faith that she will keep LSE strong and capable. What we need now, is to evaluate the foresight used by the committee that looked at feeder patterns, community, and expected future growth patterns. Those things matter more than fear of change. Creating a new, exciting, successful school is just as important as our nostalgia for LSE. Allowing a few families to emotionally hijack the board is disheartening. We trusted you to do the right thing. I don't think that is what you accomplished at all.