Does The Organist Entertains on Radio 2 do more harm than good?

steve edwards

/ #73 the organist entertains!

2014-01-30 20:49

I have been playing the organ professionaly for nearly forty years,incuding theatre pipe/Hammond organs, and various electronics. My first love is the theatre/cinema pipe organ, but i think that the show needs to look back at its roots. in the begining when it was hosted if i remmember correctly by robin richmond,it was mostly theatre and hammond, with the odd lowery/conn/farfisa etc thrown in.but it was moving forward with the times even then. as the show progressed into the 70s and early 80s it encompassed all makes and types of organs, keyboards and the up and coming players of the day. from the likes of technics/yamaha/kawai etc and i really enjoyed listening to the various instruments and players,and was a way of keeping up to date with new developments. not so now.! the show has been reduced in length to 30 mins. this in itself is far too short for such a show.(i think the concert diary slot has been removed as well) i think nigel was,and still is a fine and very knowledgeable presenter,and superb musician. but his hands are tied. I believe the bbc needs to take a look at the organ scene and get the show back to what it was originally, i.e an informative and entertaining show aimed at organists and others who simply enjoy listening to the instruments. a quick search of you tube would open the bbc's eyes as to the amount of insruments, both pipe and digital electronic, and some very fine players from all around the world. I hope the collective input of this petition will help to save a show which used to be the best....