FLINTSHIRE COUNCIL ATTACKS WELSH-MEDIUM TEACHING.

/ #26

2011-07-12 18:44

I would like to take a moment and express my heartfelt thanks, for firstly caring passionately about the Welsh language and for secondly, starting a petition in order to save the 5 Welsh schools, within Flintshire.

My Daughter attends Ysgol Gymraeg Mornant, and even though this does not directly affect us at the moment, if things carry on the way they are, who knows what the situation shall be in the near future? My father is originally from North Wales, but my wife & I are originally from South Africa. After looking at the schools on offer in Flintshire, we felt that Ysgol Gymraeg Mornant offered so much more than the English schools in the area. Not only does a second language (The third, for our daughter, as she is learning Afrikaans as well) Offer the children another perspective on things, but broadens their thinking and social skills as well. It is a sad state of affairs that these 5 Welsh schools are under threat. After all they are situated in Wales. As foreigners ourselves, we are firm believers that if you choose to live anywhere other than your place of birth. It is only right to learn the customs and ways of the people whom you have chosen to amalgamate with.
The main drawback in the council’s decision is the fact that the children from non- welsh speaking families, who have chosen to reside in North Wales, will sadly be at a disadvantage. As the level of instruction would obviously be diminished somewhat, in regards to the everyday language the children hear.
The idea to build a “Super school” is absurd, as a parent of a 5yr old and a 3 yr. old, I would be shocked if they had to attended school and be influenced by teenagers, they already have to grow up so quickly and it’s a disgrace that this idea even came about in the first place. I understand that the council feels that the attendance is becoming less in Welsh schools, but surely a Welsh council would be more concerned about this and rather than thinking that joining the schools together was a good idea spend the time and effort to rather promote the Welsh language to the people living within the boundaries of North Wales. What is needed is for all the parents to stick together on this issue, for who knows what major changes are on the horizon, with the state of affairs the way they are now.