FLINTSHIRE COUNCIL ATTACKS WELSH-MEDIUM TEACHING.

Welsh Dragon

/ #37

2011-07-19 17:16

There is ONLY ONE Welsh medium secondary school within the county of Flintshire. Surely this is fed by the current, and only, FIVE Welsh medium primary schools. I am aware that it does also take a number of pupils from English medium schools BUT surely its main intake MUST come from its Welsh medium primary schools. Therefore by undermining and diluting this service what hope is there for our ONE and ONLY Welsh medium secondary school.
It is such a shame on our county's education service that other local councils such as Wrexham are expanding their Welsh medium provision with the talk of yet another school about to be built in the Gwersyllt area. How many such schools have been built in Wrexham since the last one was built in Flintshire?
From an earlier comment, it would appear that Ysgol Glanrafon is full and, possibly, has been full for many of the recent academic years. If so, what has the Education Department done to divert such parents and their children to other Welsh medium schools such as Ysgol Terrig? What, if anything, has been done to encourage parents and prospective parents to send their children to the Welsh medium schools?
Also, it appears that the idea that the numbersd at Ysgol Terrig have been dwindling BUT, in my opinion, this is a red herring as generally over the years they have been constant or increasing.
My final question is this - what is the AGENDA of Flintshire Education Authority and it's member in this scenario?