Save RHS

L.B.

/ #22

2014-08-20 00:36

I simply don't understand.  

Out of all the teachers at Renaissance, they decide to get rid of one of the best? We already lost Small last year, isn't that enough? Who's next? Johnson? Tolliver? Not to mention all of the other teachers that will lose their jobs with the disbandment of the fine arts department. Gooch, Wang, DeBose, Evans; all great teachers who are great at what they do and who are loved by the students they teach and mentor. How is this at all fair to them? Renaissance and DPS are getting rid of some really good teachers that students are upset to see leave. You want to lay someone off? Us students could give you a few referrals. 

Secondly, how can people have such a lack of appreciation for the arts? Every time you turn on your television you watch art in some form, whether it be acting, costume or set design, or written scenes. Every time you turn on your radio you hear art. You live inside the manifestation of someone's artistic vision. You wear art on your body. They say that life imitates art and vice versa, but actually, life IS art. To take away art is to take away the joy and beauty of living. If Renaissance goes through with this, then I don't see myself staying there.