Support the Tropical Wave and save Galion beach spirit

/ #56

2016-03-06 17:40

The people who take care of and run the tropical wave area do a great job. You see families with small children playing in the calm water.
The conservation dept wants to remove that, but will not do anything to the local people who dump their garbage all over the beach.

Also let the kite boarders have access to the souther half of the bay,  a sign can be placed 100 meters south of the wind surfing operation that states no kiteboarding anywhere north of this point in the whole bay to keep the kite boarders away from the public beach area and wind surfers.  If they go to close to the swimmers at the beach than you can ask them to leave. 

I am a Kiteboarder, La Galion is the best kiteboarding place on the island,  Orient Beach is too crowded to mix kite boarders and beach patrons.

I have  met many kiteboarding tourists who really enjoyed kiteboarding in La Galion only to be chased away by the park police, and probably won't come back to the island,  Cuba has fantastic kiteboarding area's that are becoming popular,

St Martin will be dismissed as a place to go by the kiteboarding community and the country will loose a lot of tourist revenue. kiteboarding is the fastest growing water sport now.

I personally have been coming to St Martin for over 20 years to kite, I spend around 3000.00 dollars for my two week visits sometimes twice a year,  if it does not change,  because of the restrictions at La Galion I will probably look at going kiteboarding in another country.

I find it quite ironic that when I was kiting a park police office told me I had to leave that kiteboarding was not allowed at La Galion,  when I asked him why he stated the it was a "nature preserve and that the kites bother the birds, "  I asked him how all the garbage that the locals dump on the beach benefit the wild life at the preserve, he agreed it is pathetic, last year there was actually a old refrigerator dumped at the beach!

I wonder what the real motivation is behind the attempt to restrict all acces to La Gallion,  maybe some people want to get rich by kicking everyone out and being (bought off) by a large resort chain.

Thanks.