OLIVIA RD IMPACT ASSESSMENT

/ #11

2016-04-07 14:15

Before the new development took place, I contacted the developers of the then proposed complex, and they assured me at the time, that the building would NOT exceed 2 floors. I further contacted someone at the Ekurhuleni Municipality at the time (2010) when residents of Eveliegh Glades and surrounding residents, started expressing concern of the overuse of Olivia Road. It was then already a problem to access Rondebult Road from Olivia Road. When I raised my concerns with the Ekurhuleni Municipalty at that time, I was then told by Ekurhuleni Municipality that Olivia Road was more than able to carry more traffic, and that the new complex would not be a problem. (Obviously they said this as it would mean more money in their pockets from the rates people would have to pay!!) At that time we assumed that the developers were sticking to a two story complex. This has subsequently changed, much to the annoyance of the already irrate residents.

As you may know, the complex has several floors, and I am very surprised that the Town Planner approved the plans for this development, even though it would impact our lifestyle (privacy of residents) at Eveleigh Glades - which is right next door to the development. Furthermore, ACSA (Airports Company South Africa) of whom I contacted in 2007, when I was considering buying property in Eveleigh,.told me of the already existing height restrictions which were then in place, as ACSA had plans to upgrade the Oliver Tambo International, which covers the Eveleigh and Beyers Park areas.

For one, I would like to know, why the Town Planner for Boksburg, does not seem to know about this.

There is NO WAY that Olivia Road will cope with the HUGE volumes of traffic when the new complex is filled with tenants.

This matter requires urgent and immediate action from the relevant parties, which include Ekurhuleni Municipality, the Developers of the said complex, as well as the traffic department.

It would be interesting to see what the relevant parties will do to address the problems we now face.