Justice 4 Deafblind Guidedog Owner Molly Watt - age 17

/ #203 Re: Last word as we're getting nowhere :-(

2011-12-15 01:06

#197: Disgusted - and an ex pupil too! - Last word as we're getting nowhere :-( 

That isn't true. He didn't go on school trips to places like Marwell zoo because of it. Sometimes people walk their dogs at lunchtime like Molly does and keep them in cars but not in school. One day  some teachers brought dogs into school cos it snowed and they had to all walk in to keep school open. He suffered an attack and no dogs have been allowed in since. He has an epipen and other things. No one has the right to say he is less needy than Molly at this time. He has a serious medical condition that the school is forced to take notice of. Some people have the same reaction to nuts and nuts are banned in a school because of it. He is a boarder so the school is his home, Molly is not. I've heard that some schools only allow sighted guides, but instead MH has tried to accomodate the dog in the best way it can. No one is saying things are easy for Molly - they're not but her mum chose to make this into a big issue. Molly is at a school that cares for her and surrounded by people that care for her but now her mum is making it hard for her to come back. The side dining room is not a place where pupils are normally allowed to eat and it is nice to eat in there with whoever you want to - I'd love to!  The dog would be comfortable in there for 20 minutes as well while Molly sat at a table and ate in the dining room if that is what she wants to do. The dog has not been banned from school. Molly has not been isolated. If she does come back I know she will be treated well by everyone but I don't think any of this discussion has helped her in anyway. I think people should just stop making comments and stop signing petitions and let her get back to a life at a school where she was probably allowed to feel more 'normal' and less disabled than she would ever have been anywhere else. She has also been able to believe that she can achieve a lot more than maybe she would have felt anywhere else and that's because of the way the school helps us.