Суд над Бхагавад-гитой / Attempt to ban Bhagavad-gita

/ #1246

2011-12-18 00:19

PART ONE (of four parts)

THE IMPERSONAL TENDENCY

As if his heart and soul were broken.

"Srila Svarupa Damodara Goswami wanted to impress upon Bhagavan Acharya that even though someone firmly fixed in devotion to Krsna's service might not be deviated by hearing the Mayavada bhasya, that bhasya is nevertheless full of impersonal words and ideas such as Brahman, which represent knowledge but which are impersonal... Upon hearing all these nonsensical ideas from the nondevotee, a devotee is greatly afflicted, as if his heart and soul were broken." (CC Antya-lila, 2.99)

Sometimes, but not very often, Srila Prabhupada speaks about "the transcendental plane," or he uses terminology like this. One has to look hard to find them. The Lord does have His impersonal feature and realization of "the higher plane" or "domain of knowledge" is the first attainment of God realization. We are meant to go far beyond that realization. Therefore, Srila Prabhupada always spoke in personal terms, such as, "the spiritual world," or "Krsna's abode," "The Supreme Personality of Godhead," "Krsna's friends," "Love of Krsna," "service to Krsna," "devotional service."

The exact opposite is the case with the preachings of Sridhar Maharaja. If you read the books his followers have compiled (we don't recommend that you do so), it is strikingly apparent that iiinpersonalistic terms predominate. This section will go into detail of this tendency but for now, quickly glance over what is but a sample segment of the impersonal way of speaking.

"A higher conception of the finer world is here.

"In this way, step by step, you will have to come to the Krsna conception of Godhead.

"When our egoistic attitude vanishes, we will find ourself in the midst of sweet waves all around. We should try to do away with whatever wrong we have done hitherto. We must do our duty and never expect any definite result, but cast it towards the infinite.

"And then one day will come when our egoistic feeling will dissolve and from within, our real seer, a member of the infinite world, will spring up and awaken, and we will find ourselves in the sweet waves of that environment.

"He comes to live in the plane of divinity.

"So we have to awaken our interest in that plane, and ignore the interest of this plane.

"We have to approach the domain of knowledge with self-surrender, honest inquiry, and a serving attitude. We will have to become objects to be handled by the superknowledge of that plane.

"We are trying to gain this knowledge, not so we can get the help of that plane, not so we can utilize that experience for living here: rather we must give our pledge to serve that knowledge. We shall serve that higher knowledge: we won't try to make it serve us. Otherwise, we won't be allowed to enter into that domain. Absolute knowledge won't come to serve this lower plane. We shall seek that plane of real knowledge...

"The intellect cannot approach the world of spirit...Only through faith, sincerity and dedication can we approach that higher realm, and become a member. We can enter that higher plane only if they grant us a visa and admit us. Then we can enter that land of divine living. So a candidate must have these three qualifications before he can approach the truth which is on the higher plane of absolute reality.

"With this ideal we shall be able to make progress. Our ideal, our highest model-that is our all-in-all in life. To be on the path of realization of that goal is the greatest wealth in ones life.

"He has given me the highest conception of the holy name of Krsna.

"Everyone should contribute to the center.

"You will have to dive deep...into the plane of the soul.

"We have to dive deep into that plane of reality.

"We should always be eager to devote ourselves exclusively to the highest duty.

"We will have to search for a person who is a bona fide agent of the higher world.

"We should have faith that if we do our duty towards the absolute...

"The heart is only full of Krsna, full of the Krsna conception.

"Divine love is the supreme most goal of every soul.

"They (gurus) will all help to carry me to the center.

"And there the Lord is engaged in his pastimes with His paraphernalia of equal quality. We are trying to understand what is what in the spiritual thought world.

"And all conception of mundane, whether physical, mental, or intellectual, should be eliminated in our journey if we want to go to the inner world of substance.

"Progress means elimination and acceptance.

"Anyone who has come in connection with the infinite cannot but say this: 'I am nothing.' "Mahaprabhu's vibration of Krsna's name was so fine and surcharged with force that the sound entered within the animals, and aroused in their hearts the innermost plane which was covered by the elephant's or tiger's body."

The fact that many persons, even Prabhupada's former-followers, are attracted to this terminology of Sridhar Maharaja, is not surprising. It only further proves what Srila Prabhupada said all along; that the West if full of impersonalists. Every day Prabhupada's disciples state this fact in prayer to Prabhupada. So we are naturally inclined to this type of terminology but we should not confuse that way of speaking with the pure devotional terminology that Srila Prabhupada used and think that they are equal. Sridhar Maharaja's books are chuck full of impersonalistic terminology. Sridhar Maharaja himself admits his real interest, "I am only concerned with my high thinking. That is my life. My spiritual thinking is my life." (DK, 80) The real life of the devotee is service.