Суд над Бхагавад-гитой / Attempt to ban Bhagavad-gita

/ #6272

2011-12-21 18:30

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts. i

Preface by the Author
After reading through this chapter, I fear that some readers who may not personally know the principal actors in this drama may draw conclusions about their characters based simply on their words and actions during this particular scene, and conclude, not having read the entire play, that they were morally deficient or even sociopaths or criminals. Yet just as no person—to my knowledge—is 100 percent in the mode of goodness or 100 percent in the mode of passion or ignorance, similarly no person—to my knowledge—is completely good or completely evil. We all have various mixtures of these qualities within us. In this preface I would like to share my own memories of the persons who play prominent roles in the three parts of this narrative, in order to show another perhaps lesser-known side of their personality.
Yamuna devi dasi was a dedicated and loving mother; her children were always the primary concern in her life, as we observed in Part 1 of this series. She wanted them to be happy and grow up in a stable and protected environment, and did the needful—such as rejecting an abusive husband—when she had to. She was also a talented violinist and regularly performed with our New Vrindaban orchestra during morning services for years. She was always mild-mannered and quiet. I was grateful for her association and glad to have her in the orchestra. Yamuna and her husband (still married today after more than two decades—a testament to their compatibility) manage the New Vrindaban health food store. I always enjoy speaking with them when I visit.
Hayagriva dasa was greatly respected in the community for his service to Prabhupada in the early days of the movement (he was one of Swamiji’s very first disciples), and for his writing abilities, which he always used solely for the glorification of Krishna and His devotees. I always looked forward to his latest articles in the Brijabasi Spirit about the early days of New Vrindaban. He made those days come alive through his considerable gifts as a writer.
When I saw him he always appeared to be a jolly fellow; laughing or joking. His deep voice resounded. He seemed to really enjoy life. I always liked him. Acyutananda Swami told the story about visiting him at his home at New Vrindaban. When Acyutananda approached the house, he heard loud Mexican Mariachi music. He opened the door and entered the house, and there was Hayagriva, wearing an enormous cowboy hat on his head, dancing alone on top of a table and smiling, with his record player turned up full blast. Hayagriva sometimes used to play his trumpet to add a festive flavor for special occasions.
I spent a fair amount of time with Hayagriva during his last days when he was stricken with cancer. Even at the bitter end, he was still fond of making joking comments, seeing the irony of his situation, and he always reminded me of Prabhupada and Krishna.
Kuladri dasa was such a great manager; he used his considerable abilities to keep the community going. Prabhupada ordered him to serve Kirtanananda Swami, who— for the most part— provided spiritual guidance and inspiration, but Kuladri did most of the dirty work. People used to call him “Cruel-adri,” but I never knew why. He was never cruel to me.
Sometimes when I was back from the pick I would hang out in his office at Bahulaban and just watch him deal with the never-ending problems of the community. He was constantly on the phone. Despite great difficulties, I never saw him get discouraged or resentful. I really enjoyed his Krishna conscious association. In the recent past he returned to New Vrindaban to serve as General Manager for the community.
Dharmatma dasa was my sankirtan leader for five or six years. During this time I always saw him serving the devotees humbly, and catering to our needs. From my perspective he truly appreciated us and understood the great austerities we performed out on the road. He was dedicated to his service and we could count on him to answer the phone at all hours of the day or night in case one of our sankirtan buddies had been arrested and we needed to find him and bail him out. We could always count on Dharmatma. After serving time in prison he now lives near the Alachua Florida Krishna Community.
Tapahpunja dasa trained me up on book distribution in the parking lots of Northeastern Ohio in 1979. He was an excellent teacher, and was very patient with me. Once I was arrested in the parking lot of the Richfield Coliseum near Cleveland while distributing books before a rock concert. I actually was arrested because I spoke truthfully to the security guard. The guard stopped me for distributing Easy Journey to Other Planets and said I could not do that on private property. I apologized, and then he asked: “Are you going to the concert?” I said: “No, I’m just here to distribute books.”
He then took me into the office and called local police who booked me for trespassing. When Tapahpunja bailed me out, he admonished me: “You should have said that you were going to go to the concert. Then they would have let you go free, instead of arresting you.” When Tapahpunja saw the pained expression on my face—I felt I had let him down, I was such a useless devotee, a failure—he kindly reassured me: “But that’s okay. You are a brahmin. A brahmin is always truthful.”
On occasion I traveled with him on the pick, but he always hankered to return to New Vrindaban. Once in a while he would sneak back, but as soon as Kirtanananda saw him, he would get whacked by Maharaj’s cane and kicked back out. Tapahpunja used to talk about the forthcoming World War III which Prabhupada reportedly predicted. And wherever we would go on the pick, in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, wherever, Tapahpunja would always study the map and memorize our position in relation to the Ohio River. He said, “When this American society is completely destroyed by nuclear bombs, we will have to find our way back to New Vrindaban on foot. The best way is to follow the Ohio River upstream.”
After serving time in prison, Tapahpunja returned to New Vrindaban, and has worked diligently to create a successful organic garden.
Janmastami dasa had a gruff exterior, but his heart was full of love for his spiritual master. He was a tough no-nonsense fellow, but could also be kind. I first met him in 1979 when I briefly taught at the Nandagram gurukula. I remember he was hauling wood for the school’s furnace. Seeing me—and perhaps thinking I was a greenhorn unfamiliar with the intricacies of country living—he stopped his labor and gave me some helpful advice. He showed me some poison ivy growing near the building. “See that?” he said. “In the Spring, if you pick one of the young leaves and eat it, and continue to do so every day, your body will gradually build up a tolerance for the poison and you’ll be immune for the rest of the Summer.”
Years later, I once worked for him in Washington D.C. helping to sell flowers at sidewalk tables during a Mother’s Day marathon. His shop, in a poor and run-down neighborhood where carjackings and drive-by shootings where not unknown, catered not to physical comforts, but existed only to maximize service to guru and Krishna. He lived very simply. I don’t even think he and his wife had a bed. I remember seeing his kid in a playpen practically buried by enormous stacks of boxes and boxes of roses; it was so cramped and crowded and filthy. The place had no material amenities, but the rent was cheap, and he willingly performed those austerities to increase profits for New Vrindaban.
Tirtha dasa was dedicated to serving the New Vrindaban devotees. I remember when he was the community bus driver, driving back and forth all day between Bahulaban and the Palace. He would go out of his way to assist the mothers who might have had baskets of laundry and small children. I heard many stories about him protecting the devotees from drunken trigger-happy rednecks who frequented the tavern on McCreary’s Ridge Road between Bahulaban and Prabhupada’s Palace.
Once, after the tavern drunks had a wild weekend harassing the devotees, Tirtha walked into the bar and explained to the owner: “Some of your patrons are creating a rather dangerous atmosphere for the peaceful people living along the ridge. Maybe you could ask the fellows to please desist from shooting their guns into our homes. And while you’re at it,” Tirtha continued, “ask them to please not run anyone over with their trucks.”
Then Tirtha showed him a few pictures he’d brought along from his Viet Nam scrapbook. I can only imagine what the photos revealed, probably images of Tirtha standing among the wreckage of devastated Viet Cong villages and piles of dead bodies, showing in graphic and gory detail what Tirtha could do if he was so inspired. The proprietor just looked at the photos in silence. As they say, one picture is worth a thousand words. After that, I heard the drive-bys and most other violent incidents dropped off almost to nothing.
Tirtha was a tough guy, but he didn’t glorify in his toughness like a bully; he only used his fighting abilities to serve the devotees and his guru. He only used his skills as ksatriya to protect the saintly devotees and rid the community of undesirable influences.
After he was arrested and just prior to his murder trial, he became convinced that he was going to get the death penalty, so he accepted the order of sannyas from Umapati Swami, on behalf of Kirtanananda. Recently he has renounced the formal title of “swami” in deference to the many ISKCON devotees who do not believe he deserves the honor.
During the last few years, Tirtha has written five books for prisoners to help them practice Krishna Consciousness which were published by the New Vrindaban Office of the ISKCON Prison Ministry, under the direction of the late NVPM Director Muktakesh dasa. Tirtha also has his own website at http://tirthainprison.com.
Devamrita Swami, who appears in Part 4 of this series, was an intellectual fellow and liked to give heavy lectures. He was famous at NV for his “Forest of Secretions and Emotions” lecture warning of the pitfalls of household life. I saw him get a lot of sauce from Bhaktipada, but he was humble, never challenging. The word “grovel” comes to mind. He became temple president when Kuladri left the community. Devamrita faithfully defended Bhaktipada against ISKCON when Bhaktipada was excommunicated. He even compiled a list of Bhaktipada quotations—nuggets of nectar—and published them as a book: Bhaktipada Bullets.
He served as Bhaktipada’s editor after Hayagriva passed away and wrote an erudite 15-page preface for Bhaktipada’s 1992 book: How to Love God. Devamrita explained in the preface: “Swami Bhaktipada’s How to Love God ascends the heights of God consciousness in a way that modern spiritual seekers—whatever their particular calling—will relish and ponder. . . . Read and you will see that Swami Bhaktipada has indeed entered the rapturous garden of pure love. . . . Let us cast our lot with Swami Bhaktipada. The pure religion his book elucidates will create the greatest heroes. Only bold spiritual champions can actually effect lasting beneficial change and teach us How to Love God.”
Devamrita had a curious laugh which I will never forget: “Har, har, har.” The sankirtan devotees especially were inspired by him and called him “The General,” comparing him to a great military leader who strategically plans and heroically leads great campaigns of battle to rescue lakshmi from the conditioned souls, especially in the Far East, where many of the NV sankirtan pickers relocated after the FBI raid at New Vrindaban.
However, for some reason the householders were not so much enamored of him, and called him “The Great Manipulator.”
My brahmachari buddy Siksastaka faithfully recorded and transcribed Devamrita’s classes, and then another big sankirtan devotee, Compassionate Swami (formerly Rasayatra dasi), arranged to have them published as a book: Cutting the Knot of Material Existence, with a really cute photo of Maharaj on the cover (yes, even Devamrita could be cute at times), dressed in his Far East Buddhist monk’s robe. (See http://henrydoktorski.com/images/nv/cutting_the_knot.jpg)
In Cutting the Knot we can read Maharaj’s candid commentary revealing that ISKCON had lost its potency because they had fallen into impersonalism by minimizing the all-important spiritual master-disciple relationship: “The organization is subordinate to the presence of the great saintly persons, without which, organizations, institutions, mean nothing.” Yes, Devamrita was one of Bhaktipada’s greatest defenders.
He was always kind to me, and called me the “Prince of the Pick.” One time I traveled with him and Siksastaka to a sankirtan event in Cincinnati, and he introduced me to the music of Thelonius Monk and John Coltrane (maybe it was Charles Mingus, I don’t recall), by playing cassette tapes of these great jazz musicians. Later, during the Interfaith Era, he acquired a large collection of cassette tapes of music by Bach, Handel, Brahms, Beethoven, etc. and when he upgraded his music library with new state-of-the-art compact discs, he gave me a big box of his obsolete classical music cassettes, to which I enjoyed listening.
Devamrita was also greatly concerned for my spiritual welfare. After I had accepted an arranged marriage, I was reluctant to fulfill my duties as a householder for more than a year, and—I am embarrassed to admit—had once flirted inappropriately with one of Devamrita’s unmarried sankirtan maharanis, who dutifully reported the incident to him. (To tell the truth, at the time I sorely wished I could take a second wife, one more to my liking, but I knew that Bhaktipada would never allow it.)
Soon after, Devamrita called me into his office, chastised me severely, and warned me that if I didn’t start procreating with my lawful wedded wife, I would probably start molesting boys. Although I had no attraction for children in that way, he really scared me and put doubts about myself in my mind, and as a result of this direct instruction about nine months later a new new-born Brijabasi appeared in the holy dhama.
In 1995 Devamrita Swami returned to ISKCON and has served in some important positions, such as the 2005 GBC Chairman. I saw him I think in 2003 at New Vrindaban and during conversation I mentioned in passing that some devotees thought that he should apologize for supporting Kirtanananda for so many years. He replied something to the effect: “I’ve already apologized many times. I was here in New Vrindaban in 199- [He named a year, but I don’t remember the exact year—HD] and apologized to devotees then, and then I apologized again later to others. It seems that some people want my entire life to be an apology.”
Radhanath Swami, who appears in Parts 2, 3 and 4, has always been the darling of the Brijabasis. Everybody loves Radhanath. I first met him in 1978 when I moved up to the brahmachari ashram at Old Vrindaban. He was living there permanently, caring for the deities. Kirtanananda ordered him never to leave. He was humble, yet passionate about Krishna consciousness.
He never liked to draw attention to himself. He never liked to be the center of attention. He always tried to stay in the background, behind the scenes, unless he received direct orders to the contrary from his superiors. This was confirmed by one Brijabasi who described in his personal diary how Radhanath was forced by Kirtanananda to participate in a play on Lord Nrsimhadeva’s Appearance Day:
Tuesday, May 23, 1978:
This morning we nailed Radhanath. Everyone wants him to play Prahlada [in the play] on Sunday, but in his usual way, he stubbornly refused to even hear about it. He was giving Bhagavatam class this morning and was saying, “If Krishna wants, we will be rich and famous. If Krishna wants, we will be poor, etc.”
So after class I asked, “If Krishna wants you to be in the play, should you do it?”
“Yes, if Krishna wants.”
“And you know what Krishna wants by what the spiritual master says?”
“Yes.”
So at breakfast we were talking to Maharaj about it when Radhanath walked in.
“Ah, Prahlada!” Maharaj said.
Radhanath meekly smiled and said, “You want me to do that?”
“Yes.”
So it’s settled.
For a long time Radhanath’s health was very poor. We thought he was slowly dying. If I remember correctly, he even went to the world-famous Mayo Clinic for a week-long battery of tests. The doctors and PhDs couldn’t find what was wrong with him. He returned to New Vrindaban as sick as ever. Finally Bhaktipada said, “You should fast from cooked foods. You should eat only raw fruits, salads and vegetables.” Within six months after adopting this diet, Radhanath was back on his feet and healthy again.
I remember when Kirtanananda ordered him to take sannyas. Radhanath was beside himself. I remember the expression on his face; such suffering, such pain. He did not want to accept sannyas, he did not think himself worthy, and did everything in his power to get out of it, but finally he accepted his fate. There is no doubt in my mind, that of all the dozens and dozens of devotees Bhaktipada awarded with sannyasa, Radhanath turned out to be the best of them all.
Radhanath was always gentle and mild, and averse to violence. One year there was a big infestation of gluttonous groundhogs who were devouring everything in the garden. Kirtanananda couldn’t spare a “useful” devotee to do groundhog guard duty, so he ordered Radhanath—Bhaktipada sometimes called him “useless”—to take a shotgun and sit in the garden, and if he saw a groundhog, to kill it. I heard that Radhanath sat in the garden all day like a scarecrow and saw many groundhogs, but he did not want to hurt them, so he fired the gun over their heads to scare them.
Although Radhanath may have been kind to animals, was not a pacifist. He clearly understood that anger could be used in Krishna’s service. Few people know this other side of Radhanath; his rarely-exhibited ferocity. Although he wouldn’t hurt even an ant, on occasion—if he heard blasphemy of another devotee—he could become angry as fire and fierce as Lord Nrsimhadeva. Prabhupada explained that a Vaishnava should become “as angry as fire” when one’s guru or another devotee is blasphemed: “One should be very meek and humble in his personal transactions, and if insulted a Vaishnava should be tolerant and not angry. But if there is blasphemy against one’s guru or another Vaishnava, one should be as angry as fire.” (Caitanya Charitamrita, Adi 7.50, purport)
Let me tell a story to illustrate one occasion when Radhanath exhibited this particular quality of anger. My godbrother Devavarsha dasa and I traveled with Bhaktipada to India for the 1982 Mayapur festival. Dharmatma was also there with some sankirtan mothers. We enjoyed hanging around Bhaktipada in his room in Mayapur, massaging his feet, serving him, running errands, etc. We thought this was the perfection of our lives.
During this trip Devavarsha was sitting alone once with Bhaktipada in his suite in the Guest Lodge. Bhaktipada was reading a Back to Godhead magazine. After a while Bhaktipada got tired of reading, and then suddenly and unexpectedly became playful. He rolled the BTG into a tube and thrust it under his dhoti by his crotch, making it look like he had a huge erection. Bhaktipada smiled and waited to see Devavarsha’s response. ii
This flirting conduct, although perhaps tolerable for a fringe devotee (one who does not follow the four regulative principles), was completely unexpected and intolerable from a sannyasi, one who has given up all sex activities, and especially Prabhupada first sannyasi who was one of the original eleven ISKCON gurus. Many, if not most, ISKCON devotees considered Kirtanananda to be a pure devotee. Prabhupada even once said Kirtanananda was a pure devotee. iii Pure devotee means one who is free from all material desires. It was inconceivable that Kirtanananda had fallen to mundane sexual life. A pure devotee was supposed to spit at the thought of sex, not delight in it.
Poor Devavarsha was completely bewildered, totally shocked and confused. He had no idea how to react. It was so unexpected. What was going on? Why was Bhaktipada acting that way? Was he dreaming? Devavarsha was such a mental guy anyway. So he just sat there dumfounded for a minute, and then silently left the room.
If Devavarsha had been homosexual and looking for some action, he might have opened his eyes wide and replied: “Oh master, what a large lingam you have!” to which Bhaktipada might have replied, “The better for you to worship, my dear.”
But Devavarsha was not gay and he was trying his utmost to strictly follow the four regulative principles, and he was neither a worldly man nor familiar with the pickup lines gay men use to sound-out prospective partners, so he decided he should consult with a senior Vaishnava, to help make sense of all of this strangeness. So he went to Radhanath to reveal his mind in confidence and ask him what was going on.
He told his story, and the poor fellow was again shocked and bewildered (twice in one day) this time by Radhanath’s reaction: Radhanath became terribly angry, like Nrisimhadev, and roared at him fiercely: “How can you say such blasphemy! You are completely mental and insane! You don’t deserve to be in this holy place. I cannot stand to look at you! You are so fallen and base! Don’t you ever speak like that again or I’ll have you thrown out on the street with the beggars and urchins!” iv
From this example, we can see that even a normally-humble devotee can become angry when he hears blasphemy of other devotees, especially pure saintly self-realized devotees like Bhaktipada. Who could possibly give credence to such an outlandish tale about a great spiritual master spoken by an unsteady disciple constantly on the mental platform?
Although Devavarsha could have spoken about this to others, he was rendered harmless by Radhanath’s severe scolding. He never spoke to anyone about this for twenty-five years. But, it would be seen, a few years after this incident, another devotee also began spouting nonsense about Srila Bhaktipada, and this devotee was convinced that Bhaktipada was a pretender and tried to prove it to others. New Vrindaban residents considered him an envious demon. Without any fault he was biting and creating havoc. He was a snake-like person; opposing ISKCON and New Vrindaban. His nature was demonic. He, like Devavarsha, would also have to be “rendered harmless,” but this madman was not so easily dissuaded by verbal chastisement alone. Stronger methods would have to be used.
Vaishnava scriptures sometimes refer to such envious persons who blaspheme the pure devotees of the Lord as snakes, scorpions or demons, and explain how a saintly person should regard them. For instance, a sadhu—although loath to harm even an ant—is happy when a snake or scorpion or envious demon is killed. “So everyone is happy when a snake or scorpion is killed because they are very, very dangerous. Without any fault they bite and create havoc. So there are these snake-like persons. They are envious about our movement, and they are opposing. That is the nature.” (Srila Prabhupada, Srimad-bhagavatam lecture, Mayapur, 2.28.77.)
According to some, Radhanath exhibited all the qualities of a true sadhu, not simply the qualities of meekness and gentleness, but also the qualities of anger when a fellow devotee was blasphemed, and pleasure when an envious demon who opposed the movement was killed. As we shall read in the following two chapters, it appeared that Radhanath, in his characteristic humble fashion, always tried to stay in the background, behind the scenes. He didn’t want to draw attention to himself, but he exerted his considerable spiritual influence none-the-less.
Today Radhanath is an incredibly successful preacher; and has become the darling of ISKCON. Thousands of devotees are inspired by his classes and association. I am also inspired by hearing and reading his classes. I think very highly of him. Whatever mistakes of judgment he might have made in the past under the influence of fanaticism are now forgotten by almost everyone.
I have heard that Radhanath, more than all the other ISKCON gurus, has attempted to teach his disciples how to love each other. Some have told me his disciples are very loving and very sweet, like their guru—even perhaps to others who might not reciprocate their affection. This is very different from the preaching I heard during my early days at New Vrindaban, and I heartily approve of this new development in ISKCON. I think perhaps some of us older devotees might have learned an important lesson from our mistakes made during our younger, more immature days.
In conclusion: Everyone, and I mean everyone, is made up of combinations of good and bad qualities. One shouldn’t draw hasty conclusions about a person after hearing only one side of a story. In Peter Brook’s memorable nine-hour play—The Mahabharata—Krishna speaks the following words to the Pandava brothers after the death of Duryodhana: “No good man is entirely good; no bad man is entirely bad.” I think these are words of wisdom, and I hope readers will consider that when reading the following account.

Hrishikesh dasa (Henry Doktorski)
October, 2008

Author’s Disclaimer
Although I have obviously attempted to uncover the actual series of events of this narrative, I make absolutely no guarantee regarding the truthfulness and accuracy of the following account. Obviously there is much conflicting testimony in the record, and I have tried to avoid a biased presentation by allowing equal opportunity for opposing viewpoints.—HD

To read the previous installment of this four-part narrative, go to: http://henrydoktorski.com/nv/Saga_of_Sulochan_1.doc and http://henrydoktorski.com/nv/Saga_of_Sulochan_2.doc.

The Saga of Sulochan, Part 3
By Hrishikesh dasa (Henry Doktorski)
One chapter from my forthcoming book—Gold, Guns and God:
A History of the Hare Krishnas in West Virginia

Tapahpunja Swami takes initiative to protect Bhaktipada
Tapahpunja Swami, the former New Vrindaban men’s sankirtan leader and president of the Cleveland ISKCON temple, was beside himself, and severely chastised Kuladri for allowing this to happen, for not protecting Bhaktipada from Triyogi’s attack, for not having an organized security program in place to protect their spiritual master. Kuladri explained: “Tapahpunja had expressed his concern that I was the president and the board were not doing what we should or could to see that Bhaktipada was protected, and that he offered, if any opportunity arose, that he would like to come down [from Cleveland], and help assist or take some project that would help insure the safety of Bhaktipada. He indicated that I had not done enough to protect Bhaktipada from getting hit on the head.” v
Tapahpunja came to New Vrindaban and discussed the formation of a security team with New Vrindaban management. They decided that Sulochan posed a clear danger to Bhaktipada. None thought that the community could continue without Bhaktipada’s leadership; they believed their lives depended on him. The top men concluded that, if push came down to shove, it would be better for Sulochan to leave his body rather than Bhaktipada.
Kuladri, however, claimed that he tried to calm everyone and work with local law enforcement. He didn’t want to incite distraught devotees to take the law into their own hands: “I know Tapahpunja, along with other swamis, vi were saying that the community had to do whatever is necessary to protect Bhaktipada. I felt that the type of preaching that should be done in the community was one to calm people, not incite people. And I think the language of doing whatever is necessary to protect the Swami would incite people to . . . go to extremes.” vii
Other sources claimed that Kuladri was indeed an instigator in the murder plot early on; at least until he realized the seriousness of the consequences which would ultimately descend upon the conspirators and the community. viii
Tirtha recruited as hit man
Hayagriva, among all the New Vrindaban elders, seemed to be especially outspoken about Bhaktipada’s well being. A crazy man attempted to kill his dear friend and Sulochan was suspect. How would they stop him from coming out to the community and attempting to assassinate Bhaktipada? One friend of the community, Russell C. (Randolph) Gorby (1923-1990), a 62-year-old retired steel worker who lived in St. Clairsville, Ohio, suggested to Hayagriva that Tirtha should eliminate Sulochan. Gorby insisted: “Let Tirtha take care of him. Tirtha’s the best man for the job.”
Hayagriva spoke to Kuladri and, on Gorby’s instigation, recommended that Tirtha should “deal with Sulochan.” Kuladri remembered: “This was outside the temple area in a parking lot. Hayagriva drove up in a pickup truck with Gorby. . . . He was very concerned . . . very concerned about the safety of Bhaktipada, and therefore said that we had to do whatever was necessary to protect Bhaktipada. And he said that he had spoken with Randall Gorby, and Gorby had suggested to him, and he agreed, that Tirtha should be asked to deal with Sulochan. And that for eight or ten thousand dollars he could be hired to deal with Sulochan.” ix
One member of the surveillance team remarked: “Gorby was more ‘fired up’ to destroy Sulochan than any of the devotees.” x
Tirtha explained: xi
One of the main figures involved in promoting the idea for a need to kill Sulochan was Randall Gorby. He was local figure who befriended Kirtanananda and the devotees in 1973 when New Vrindaban was attacked by thugs from a biker gang. Later Kirtanananda used him as a straw man to purchase properties for the community. He was also a friend of Hayagriva and myself. . . .
Gorby actively recruited me in the beginning, saying that the New Vrindaban devotees were sitting on their hands while Kirtanananda was in grave danger. He seemed to have a direct line to the police, which I found to be odd. Later I would learn he was a police informant for many years. He made some convincing arguments, which at the time seemed plausible, though we didn’t need a lot of convincing. . . .
An assessment was made for the worst case scenario. Which was worse, losing Kirtanananda, having him murdered by a lunatic fringie, or the fallout from having Sulochan killed? That’s why the decision was made to kill Sulochan somewhere away from New Vrindaban. It seemed to be an either/or situation. Gorby certainly fed into the situation, helped plan things, etc. He provided some technical advice, things of that sort.
Gorby: government informant
It is entirely plausible that Randall Gorby, even at this early date, was working in cooperation with the United States government. He kept in close contact with law enforcement authorities and his phone conversations were recorded by the State Police. It is not unreasonable to suspect that Gorby intentionally helped incite the murder of Sulochan so that the government would have a good reason to come down hard on Bhaktipada and the New Vrindaban Community.
During the 1960s and early 1970s the United States government sometimes sent FBI informants to observe close hand the activities of cults and new religious movements, but in most cases, did not interfere with their activities. However, after the November 1978 murder of California Congressman Leo Ryan and the cyanide poisoning deaths of 909 members of the Peoples Temple—a cult from California founded by Reverend Jim Jones—at the “Jonestown” farm in northwestern Guyana, the federal government became greatly concerned about the cult phenomenon and began aggressively investigating the largest cults. xii
Joint House-Senate hearings on “The Cult Phenomenon in the United States” were conducted during February 1979 at the Russell Senate Office Building in Washington D.C. and chaired by Senator Bob Dole from Kansas. One speaker suggested that ISKCON was high on the government’s cult list. Jim Siegelman, a recipient of the Leo J. Ryan Award and a Fiske Fellowship at Trinity College, Cambridge, and author of the anti-cult books Snapping, Holy Terror, and Dark Hero of the Information Age, testified: “We focused our investigations on the five largest cults: the Hare Krishna, Scientology, Divine Light Mission, Unification Church, the Way International and to smaller groups.” xiii
Another speaker, the attorney for the late Congressman Leo Ryan, specifically mentioned the New Vrindaban Community and petitioned Congress to “exercise leadership in the manner of cults and mind control.” xiv
Some religious cults with federal tax-exempt status as religious organizations are apparently stockpiling weapons according to reports in the Washington Post and other newspapers. One such report stated the West Virginia headquarters of the Hare Krishna organization has a vast arsenal of weaponry stockpiled. . . . Such hoarding of weapons must be questioned when it appears such collection goes beyond the scope of an individual’s Constitutional right to self-defense. . . . The Congress has a responsibility to the American people . . . . Equally, the Congress must exercise leadership in the manner of cults and mind control.
Janmastami, a Viet Nam war veteran and a Bhaktipada disciple initiated in August 1978, claimed that government agents had conducted surreptitious surveillance on ISKCON and New Vrindaban, and even covertly assisted in the murder of Sulochan: xv
First, the FBI had a list of “subversive organizations” that they were after. ISKCON New Vrindaban was number four on this list, after Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, Lyndon LaRouche, and Reverend Sun Myung Moon. xvi
I know these things because a fellow who regularly visited the Philadelphia temple, a person who came to work for me for the entire time I was in Philly, came to me from the Sunday feast . . . and after working for me for some time eventually told me he was an operative for the government. He was a “snitch”—a paid informant—and nothing more, and they couldn’t care less if he was killed or not. The informants name was Joshua Kunkle, a low-life street urchin from Philly who used to sell drugs to then-up-to seven members of the devotee community in the Philly area.
In fact, this is where the plan to infiltrate “moved to the next level,” that is to say, this is a second point (Randall being one of the others that we know of) where the FBI started to try to steer the direction of the actions that New Vrindaban “was capable of” into the point where it was actions that New Vrindaban had perpetrated and was therefore responsible for.
Kunkle testified against us—the New Vrindaban Community and I—in the data collection for the trial, but his testimony (and my involvement in these events) was never entered into the court record because it took the blame away from K Swa, where they wanted it placed, and put it at the feet of his subordinates who actually did the planning of events that occurred. xvii
Tirtha begins searching for Sulochan
Tirtha became involved in surveillance sometime in October, probably only a few days after Triyogi’s attack, while Bhaktipada was still in a coma in the hospital. This was confirmed by Daruka dasa (Tirtha’s friend who had instigated and assisted in Chakradhari’s murder two years earlier) in Los Angeles, who remembered: “During October 1985, Tirtha called me and told me about Triyogi’s attack and said that he suspected that Sulochan was involved with that somehow. And he wanted to know whether if I had seen Sulochan anywhere around Los Angeles or anything. I said I had seen him around, yes. He wanted to know where he might be. And he also said, if he was involved, we should get him. My interpretation was he wanted to kill him if he was involved in the beating of Swami. I asked another friend if he had seen Sulochan, and he told me he moved up to the Visalia, which is another farm outside of Los Angeles that belongs to the Krishna organization. I relayed this information to Tirtha by telephone.” xviii
Tirtha recalled:
A key point was when Kirtanananda was attacked by Triyogi. That changed everything. It was no longer a war of words; it injected an element of violence. Naturally, as a good disciple, I couldn’t sit by idly and wait for the job to be finished. . . . xix
At several high-level management meetings, I was invited to attend. It was jointly agreed that Sulochan posed a clear and present danger to Kirtanananda (others also). The top men concluded that it was preferable to deal with the fallout of Sulochan’s death than Kirtanananda’s. No one thought they could continue on without Kirtanananda. He was that important to them. It was as if their lives depended on him. To a man they agreed they couldn’t imagine going on—as a community or as devotees—if Kirtanananda was killed. The only solution presented was that Sulochan be eliminated. And if somehow he slipped through [and killed Kirtanananda] because no one had the cajones [balls] or faith in Krishna to do the needful—well you’ll have to live with being a coward for the rest of your life. xx
Bhaktipada indicated he had been asked about surveillance, but he dismissed the idea: “During these months [when I returned from the hospital], I played no part in the management of anything. I do recall that the question of surveillance came up and I laughed at it. I said, ‘Why do you want to do that?’” xxi
Janmastami recruited
Janmastami explained how he was recruited to assist in the elimination of Sulochan: xxii
In January of 1986, on my return to New Vrindaban [after the Christmas marathon], I was ordered by Radhanath . . . not by Kirtanananda Swami, to terminate Sulochan. This happened with Tapahpunja Swami and Tirtha in November and December of 1985. I was on traveling sankirtan until Christmas and didn’t get back to the farm until New Years. Immediately on our arrival at New Vrindaban, Radhanath sought me out and made arrangements for us to meet in his van, where he went through a prepared speech that he had delivered to Tirtha, Tapahpunja Swami and Kuladri many times before. Later talks with Tirtha confirmed this.
Bhaktipada’s chauffeur confirmed: “I was privy to much behind-the-scenes action, and I there when Radhanath told Janmastami to ‘destroy the demon.’” xxiii
A teenage gurukula boy also claimed he overheard Radhanath order Janmastami to “destroy the demon.” xxiv
Kuladri indirectly implicated Radhanath when he said: “I know Tapahpunja, along with other swamis, were saying that the community had to do whatever is necessary to protect the Swami.” xxv At this time there were only three swamis at New Vrindaban: Kirtanananda, Tapahpunja and Radhanath.
Dharmatma claimed that Kuladri told him: “Radhanath, Hayagriva and Tapahpunja were pushing like crazy for this to happen.” xxvi
Dharmatma wrote years later: “With all due respect, as I do like him [Radhanath] as a person, and he is a sweet devotee, but still he was involved to some degree or had knowledge of Sulochan’s murder. I know this for a fact.” xxvii
However, Tirtha denied that Radhanath played any part in the murder: “Radhanath Swami never played any role in any criminal activity. No murder, theft, arson, etc. Kuladri I have shielded as far as possible, even after he betrayed me and reneged on his promise to take care of my family in case things went badly. . . . The government wasn’t interested in him anyway. They wanted Kirtanananda. . . . They really only wanted Kirtanananda. . . . Dozens of devotees previously approached me to please get rid of Sulochan, to prevent him from returning and killing Kirtanananda. Not one devotee ever said ‘Stop. Think it over.’ All urged me to do the needful.” xxviii
Tirtha explained in more detail why Radhanath Swami could not have recruited Janmastami: “Why would such an esteemed Vaishnava casually ask the New Vrindaban plumber’s helper to assassinate someone? To what end would that have benefited Radhanath Swami? Even on its face it takes an incredible leap to fathom why he or anyone would ask someone of Janmastami’s caliber to do this. More likely, ‘Here, go plunge out a stopped-up toilet, or go to Pittsburgh and sell scarves, or maybe flowers.’ That is reasonable for the plumber’s helper. xxix Everyone knows who Radhanath Swami is. Thousands of devotees can vouch for his character. The same can be said of Umapati xxx . . . and Kuladri. These devotees know only their service to Srila Prabhupada.” xxxi
Radhanath himself stated: “Every single allegation against me is totally false. I was not involved in any criminal activity.” xxxii
Qualifications of the three hit men
It is not difficult to imagine why these three particular men were recognized as the best candidates for the job: two had military training and combat experience in Viet Nam, and one had been a radical political activist in Berkeley, California.
Janmastami had served in Viet Nam, in the Army’s 11B20 Combat Infantry. He claimed he had fought in dozens of missions, received commendations and awards, including the Medal of Valor and several Air Medals, and was ultimately wounded in action. To this day he still has shrapnel in his body.
Tirtha had been a mean fighter since his early teenage years. xxxiii He later served in the United States Army in the 101st Airborne Division as a combat soldier in Viet Nam, and claimed to have received numerous decorations and awards for valor, including the Bronze Star, Combat Infantryman’s Badge, Air Medal, Vietnamese Gallantry Cross with Bronze Star, two Purple Heart Medals, and numerous division and brigade military campaign awards. xxxiv
Tirtha was New Vrindaban’s most trusted and experienced “enforcer.” During his devotional career he killed—with the assistance of Daruka—at least one devotee at New Vrindaban: Chakradhari, in 1983. He had also been requested by Bhaktipada to formulate a kidnapping/murder plot to get rid of Richard Rose (the owner of the original parcel of land leased to Hayagriva in 1968 which had become the Old Vrindaban Farm) after Rose attempted to void the 99-year lease through the Marshall County court system. Bhaktipada insisted that the murder be made to look like an accident. Later, the plot was called off when the courts sided in New Vrindaban’s favor. xxxv
Tapahpunja, although perhaps not an experienced killer, was the son of labor-union organizers, and had a fighting spirit. He had been a anti-Viet Nam war activist before coming to New Vrindaban, and had been incarcerated in jail a number of times. He wrote: “Berkeley was then in a constant state of warfare. Rallies, riots and rent strikes were common events. . . . Bucking the establishment began to grind on like a great battle of attrition.” xxxvi
After coming to the community he had become an expert sankirtan picker and leader, renowned for his ability to avoid detection by the police. Some affectionately called him “Mr. Scam-kirtan.” Tapahpunja would make the necessary arrangements, and Tirtha and Janmastami would do the dirty work. Others who sometimes assisted during the surveillance missions were Randall Gorby, Gaurashakti and Sthayibhava. xxxvii
Sulochan claims his life in danger
In a December 6, 1985 letter to United Press International, Sulochan wrote: “These . . . gurus are ruthless men and would not hesitate to kill anyone who threatens them. . . . There is nothing wrong with the religion, only leaders who have become absolutely corrupt.” In an interview with UPI in February 1986, Sulochan said: “They are constantly watching me. I know some morning I will go to sleep and not wake up.” xxxviii
One anonymous former resident of New Vrindaban formed a “Committee to Clear the Name of Steven Bryant.” She said: “Steve was trying to uncover a lot of stuff. I don’t feel safe myself. Every time a car pulls up, I shake. I’ve talked to the FBI. The situation is pretty much out of hand.” xxxix
Hit men in California
Tapahpunja and Tirtha traveled to California during January where they contacted a San Diego devotee known as a thug—Yudhisthira dasa—and attempted to hire him to kill Sulochan. “Tapahpunja Swami, Mr. Scam, as he was called on the sankirtan circuit, had tried to sub-contract out ‘his service’ and he contacted Yudhisthir (Jeff Cornia), a known gangster from the San Diego temple.” xl
Unsuccessful in their attempt, Tapahpunja and Tirtha followed Sulochan around for a few weeks but lost contact with him during mid-January of 1986, when Sulochan left Los Angeles and traveled to Royal Oak, Michigan, where he continued working on his book at his parents’ home.
Tapahpunja and Tirtha returned to New Vrindaban where Tapahpunja received the first of three payments for their expenses. The first installment was supposed to be $2,000, but Tirtha only received $1,700 in an envelope handed to him by Tapahpunja. Tirtha confided in his friend Randall Gorby: “Hey, they are jerking me around on what I was supposed to get for what I did in January. . . . Seventeen hundred? Why I was supposed to get two thousand!” xli
A few days later, Janmastami was dispatched to California, where Sulochan was still believed to be living, to keep an eye on him. On February 4th, Janmastami rented a 1977 Ford Granada from the Ugly Duckling Rent-A-Car agency at the Los Angeles Airport branch, and provided a cash deposit. xlii He also checked into the Trade Winds Motel. xliii
Janmastami explained: “Kuladri had called temple presidents on the left coast to boast that ‘I have hit men in California already!’” xliv
Sulochan threatens to destroy Kirtanananda and New Vrindaban
Sulochan sharpened his marksmanship skill on a target range by shooting a pistol at a picture of his arch nemesis. Puskar explained: xlv
When I returned to Los Angeles in October of 1984, Sulochan happened to be the first devotee I met. It seemed as if he wanted someone to hang out with him. I don’t think many devotees were friendly to him due to his criticisms of Rameshvara Maharaj. I had once heard that a pile of human stool was discovered on Rameshvara’s vyasasana, and Sulochan was the primary suspect.
I spent the day with Sulochan and we traveled to the Three Rivers Community near Sequoia National Park. One of the sights he showed me was his target practice range. He had a pistol and sharpened his skills by practicing with a target. He said: “Take a look at this!” The target was a picture of Kirtanananda Swami.
Sulochan spoke to me at length about his problems with his wife and children, and I suggested that I should call New Vrindaban. I got on the phone and spoke to Kuladri and Sudhanu and attempted to warn them that this fellow means business, perhaps they should consider his demands to get back his wife and children. Sulochan was sitting right there in the room listening to my end of the conversation. Kuladri and Sudhanu seemed concerned, but when they finally put Kirtanananda on the phone, he basically dismissed Sulochan and said: “Krishna will protect me.”
Sometime during January, Sulochan telephoned Kuladri and said he was coming to Moundsville to destroy Kirtanananda and the New Vrindaban Community “to finish the job” that Triyogi had started. Kuladri said: “During January I received a telephone call from Sulochan and he told me that he was coming to Moundsville to destroy Kirtanananda and the New Vrindaban Community.” xlvi
Tirtha explained: “Sulochan began telephoning New Vrindaban, threatening to kill Kuladri and his children from a sniper’s position in the woods. He threatened to kill his ex-wife Yamuna and her new husband. He declared war on New Vrindaban. His threats were taken very seriously.” xlvii
Years later, when Kuladri was asked, “Did Steven Bryant ever personally threaten you or your family?” Kuladri replied under oath: “I took his threats on the community as possible threats to my family, but his threats were only in connection to my support of Kirtanananda. He expressed to me that he had nothing against me or my family, but as a manager under Kirtanananda, he had disagreements with me.” xlviii
Sulochan’s mother denied that her son threatened to “kill everybody like some wild man.” “He was preparing an exposé stating all the things that he had uncovered. . . . And he was going to publish that . . . his mission was to destroy the community with his exposé. And he said he didn’t want to go and kill everybody like some wild man, but he wanted to destroy it by publishing all of these bad things he found out. And his thinking was that by doing this he would arouse everybody to leave the community or do something.” xlix
It appears, from the testimony of Kuladri and Mrs. Bryant, that Sulochan’s alleged threats to do bodily harm to members of New Vrindaban may have been greatly exaggerated. Years later, even Tirtha admitted: “The entire community was duped into thinking that Sulochan was a huge threat to the community. Bhaktipada could have defused everything at one point, but instead he chose to let it escalate, perhaps thinking it was a rallying point or the catalyst for something greater.” l
Sulochan returns to West Virginia
However, now that Sulochan was returning to West Virginia to continue his campaign, Kuladri appeared to have had second thoughts about the murder plot; perhaps they were getting in way over their heads. If Sulochan was murdered 2,400 miles away in California, law enforcement agents might place the blame on Rameshvar and the Los Angeles devotees, but if he was assassinated in their own back yard in Marshall County, authorities would certain suspect that New Vrindaban had a hand in the murder and begin a thorough investigation. Kuladri tried to diffuse the situation by inviting law enforcement authorities to become involved. Perhaps if the New Vrindaban “surveillance” team worked in tandem with the local police, they would be less likely to murder Sulochan outright near home.
Kuladri telephoned Sheriff Bordenkircher who agreed to help protect Bhaktipada and the community: “I felt that talking to the sheriff and speaking with the FBI was the proper way to defuse the situation, rather than trying to incite people to extremes. . . . I called the local sheriff, Sheriff Bordenkircher, and told him what Sulochan had told me on the phone, that he was coming to Moundsville to destroy Kirtanananda and the New Vrindaban Community. The sheriff at that time said that if he is coming into this area, can your people find him and let me know when he comes into the community so we can put him, if he is threatening you people, we can put him in jail. So then I contacted Tapahpunja.” li
On January 30th Sulochan left his parents’ home in Michigan and headed once again for Marshall County, West Virginia, this time with a gun, which he told friends he carried “for his own protection.” Attorney David Gold said: “Sulochan was very paranoid about his safety. He was jumping from place to place. Whenever he would go to a hotel, somebody would call and ask if he was registered, or if somebody who looked like him was there. He carried a fake mustache, a fake beard.” lii
Puskar confirmed: “When I saw Sulochan at the 1985 Los Angeles ratha-yatra festival at Venice Beach, he was wearing a fake beard and funny looking eye-glasses with fake plastic nose; the kind you purchase at a dime store.” liii
Tapahpunja—with characteristic expertise—called up Sulochan’s mother on the phone, pretended to be Sulochan’s buddy Puranjana, and tricked her into revealing her son’s location. Helga Bryant related: liv
My son left here on January 30th and went to West Virginia. He called me when he arrived and told me where he was and his phone number. He was at a motel in St. Clairsville, Ohio. He told me he registered under the name of Tim Lee. Tim Lee was a good friend of my son’s, and his Krishna name was Puranjana. Not long after, I received a phone call from a caller who identified himself as Puranjana. I had met Puranjana about three years before and I didn’t remember what the voice sounded like. It was only a brief meeting that we had.
The caller wanted to know where Steven was. He heard he had gone east and I guess he wanted to get in contact with him. And so he basically asked whether he had driven the van. I said, “No. He flew from California.” And then I guess I told him maybe that he picked up a used car that he drove down. My son’s van was in California.
I gave the caller some information. I told him the telephone number [of the motel], and I also told him that Steven—well, this was a fellow dissident, I might add—so I figured he would be interested in the fact that Steven had told me that he was going to the FBI on Monday with all of his evidence. I also told the caller the name Steven was registered under: Tim Lee—Puranjana’s Christian name. I thought at the time he would get a kick out of that, that he was using his name, but nothing was said and I got kind of suspicious.
After I hung up, I tried to contact Puranjana, but I couldn’t get hold of him right away. The next day Puranjana called us and said, “I never called you.” And this was very upsetting to me, because I knew they are pursuing Steven. So you better warn him that they have found out about him and warn him.
We knew Steven was going to be at the FBI that day, so we called the FBI in Wheeling, so we were able to tell him. He knew he was going to move. That was the point, he knew when they found him he better get out of there.
Randall Gorby, who lived in St. Clairsville, Ohio, explained how—with his assistance—the surveillance team found Sulochan at the Scott Motel and followed him to the FBI office at the Wheeling Federal Building: lv
I received a call from Tirtha. He said, “Randall, I have a telephone number in your area that I would like for you to check out for me and see what it is or where it is,” and I told him I could do that. So, I checked and discovered that the telephone number was of a motel across the river a short way from my home in St. Clairsville, the Scott Motel. I went there myself. Tirtha asked me to check the name of Tim Lee and I checked and there was a Tim Lee registered there. . . . I told him that I had checked the motel and that Tim Lee was registered there and that there was a car in the parking area from Michigan.
Tirtha called and said that he and Tapahpunja were either in East Liverpool or Steubenville, Ohio, and would I mind meeting them outside the motel and show them where it was located. They explained to me that they thought it was Sulochan that they were following, and they had been trailing him. He explained he had been following this individual that was in the motel room and that they were apprehensive that he was going to harm the Swami at the temple. That they were keeping him under surveillance at that time. We remained outside the motel up until probably 10:30 in the morning. At that time the individual who was in the motel came out and Tapahpunja had his binoculars. We were across the street. They identified him as Sulochan rather than Tim Lee.
Sulochan loaded some equipment into the car that was sitting out on the parking area and got into the car and started driving out of the motel complex. From there Tirtha asked me to follow him because he thought that he might be recognized; Sulochan would probably recognize Tirtha or Tapahpunja. So I followed him into the city of Wheeling, West Virginia. I stayed in contact with the car and followed him right up to where he parked outside of the Federal Court Building in Wheeling.
Tirtha and Tapahpunja were following behind me in their vehicles, and Sulochan did get out of his vehicle and taking some papers and went inside the Federal Building. Tirtha pulled up, parked behind me and got out of his car and walked up to me. Tirtha said, “That son of a bitch is going to the police and he is going to have to be killed, and I am the one that is going to do it.”
Sulochan arrested in West Virginia
After Sulochan left the Federal Building, Gorby claimed that he followed him to a rented house in the Washington Lands section of Moundsville, whereupon he telephoned Kuladri. On the other hand, Janmastami claimed that the surveillance team lost track of Sulochan after he left the FBI office, and then Gorby went to a phone booth, made a call, and came back with precise information revealing Sulochan exact whereabouts.
Janmastami said: “I didn’t trust Randall Gorby right from the start and Tirtha’s claims of his ‘impeccable credentials’ did not hold water with me. Plus, if Randall wanted it done as badly as he kept telling everyone (he was more ‘fired up’ than any of the devotees and that alone made me suspicious), he would have gone and done it. You should have seen this ‘surveillance’ operation. Hare Krishna’s do their Keystone Cops routine. Funny stuff. And then Randall runs off to a phone booth and comes back with information, VERY, VERY specific information that ‘a couple of friends of his’ gave him on Sulochan’s whereabouts.” lvi
Gorby continued: “He [Sulochan] went into a weekly rental facility and parked his car out front, picked up his bags, took them in and I knew that he was going to be there. I made a telephone call to the temple to Kuladri, and I told him where Sulochan was located and I would suggest they swear out a warrant they had talked about previously and get Sulochan arrested. He had made threats in the area so they swore out a warrant for having him for having made threats against members of the community.” lvii
Sulochan was arrested at a house he was renting on February 5, 1986 on charges of assault and carrying a deadly weapon in connection with threats made against members of the New Vrindaban Community. He was carrying a loaded automatic pistol when he was arrested. It was reported that Kuladri had met with Sulochan earlier during the week concerning a threatening letter Sulochan had mailed to him.
In the warrant, Kuladri stated: “Mr. Bryant has repeatedly threatened my life as well as the lives of members of New Vrindaban Community over the phone, in person, and through the mail. Mr. Bryant openly admits that we should be killed. Bryant publishes D.A.S. (Devotee Access Service) and takes full credit for the mailing of such literature (told me personally) in which he encourages the readers to kill the leaders of New Vrindaban and ISKCON. He also states he is taking the law in his own hands and carries a weapon.”
New Vrindaban legal counsel Tulsi dasa said: “The arrest of Steven Bryant is indicative of what we have been saying all along concerning the state of mind he has been in recently.” lviii
“Demon discredited”
New Vrindaban News featured an article titled “Demon Discredited: The Inside Story by Kuladri dasa”—an interview with Kuladri by the editor of the paper, Gargarsi—in which Kuladri was compared to J. Edgar Hoover, the first Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, who built the FBI into a large and efficient crime-fighting agency. lix
All glories to Lord Ramachandra’s victory of the demons. When Steve Bryant, formerly Sulochan, called me, my stomach immediately knotted and I felt repulsed by the creature on the other end of the phone. He asked for my offer, thinking that we would buy him off from his previous threats to destroy the community and its individuals.
I quickly responded, “I just want to tell you that you cannot step foot on New Vrindaban property.”
“Oh, yeah, well, your whole community will be destroyed within two weeks,” he said. . . .
Srila Bhaktipada returns from India, and Bryant shows up in the area. This is no coincidence; our anxiety over Srila Bhaktipada swells.
Due to the danger of the immediate situation, one of New Vrindaban’s more exalted Vaishnavas—who is certainly a liberated soul and beyond any varnashram distinction—plays the part of a ksatriya, with some behind the scenes work [Tapahpunja Swami]. Soon, he turns us on to a hot lead: Bryant is in a motel near the mall.
During the next four days we keep a 24-hour watch on the demon. We sit quietly as he spends five hours with FBI agents in Wheeling. He leaves and then returns—another two hours. We can only imagine what trash he’s presenting to the Feds.
We alert the Sheriff’s department that Bryant is in town. They request us to notify them as soon as we spot him. We keep his location under our sikas for now. [Kuladri decided not to inform the Sheriff of Sulochan’s location until later.] Four devotees and a good friend [Gorby] work around the clock to keep track of his nefarious movements. . . .
Tuesday, Feb. 4: Bryant gives our men a temporary slip. That night we take some extra precautions on the farm, especially for Srila Bhaktipada. We wonder if Bryant suspects our stake-out. Maybe he’s headed back to the West Coast. [This was when Janmastami was sent to California.] . . .
Wednesday, Feb. 5: As the morning program finishes, I get a phone call in my room. Bryant is back! We begin the stake out. Later that day two Federal agents pick him up. Little do they know that they’re protecting the criminal. . . .
I finally finish up the complaint with the help of Magistrate Buzzard, who says he’ll send the warrant to the Sheriff as soon as he records it. “Thanks, Hare Krishna,” I say, and head back to the farm. . . . A few more calls from the stake-out. Bryant seems to have settled in for the night.
We’ve been up for five nights in a row, on and off the property, talking in phone booths, driving over the highways, keeping our eyes on this demon. Who knows what this night will bring.
At 9 p.m., just as I’m ready to lie down for the evening, I think, “Let me turn him in now, so he can sit in jail overnight.” I call the Sheriff and tell him I know where Bryant is, to go pick him up. The deputy says they’ll go down to get him as soon as they find the warrant. . . .
At 12:35 a.m., the Chief Deputy of the Sheriff’s Department sends down two of their crack detectives. They pull up to the steps of the boarding house and find Bryant descending the stairs. He has a fully-loaded .45 automatic strapped on his belt, and he’s intoxicated on a third of a bottle of Vodka.
The detectives grab him and take him to jail. The detectives obtain a search warrant, and after a quick search of his room, find a hash pipe and other assorted drugs. Bryant is charged with possession of a deadly weapon; assault, with drug charges to follow.
In one fell swoop, Krishna has discredited this man’s character and sent him to jail. All of our accusations are proven and his credibility destroyed. Who can understand the plan of the Lord? . . .
Wednesday morning, 8 a.m.: The Sheriff calls me bright and early and gives me the news. I’m jumping for joy on the phone, and the Sheriff sounds almost as excited as I am. I reflect what a difference it is working with the local Sheriff’s Department. . . . I offer my respects and thanks to the vigilant Vaishnavas who gave up their sleep and safety to help protect the devotees.
VICTORY TO RAMA!
P.S.—We’re still keeping a close eye on the demon. We don’t know if or when he’ll get out.
* New Vrindaban’s version of J. Edgar Hoover, Kuladri dasa, your servant.
Sulochan’s lawyer, David Gold, saw another perspective: lx
One key miscalculation was that Bryant thought the Sheriff was