National 4/5 Practical Woodworking

Quoted post

2016-02-05 16:06

The current PW course is not fit for purpose. The SQA have taken an excellent course, being Intermediate 2, and from that created an awful one. There are mistakes throughout the coursework drawings, the pupils are utterly disinterested in the coursework models, the waste involved in all the models is terrible and expensive and to top it all off, the course assessment drawings are riddled with mistakes in both jointing methods and practical application of the models working. This means pupils are being awarded a national qualification based upon work that is incorrect. This is clearly unacceptable for our pupils, teachers' professional pride and the future of the subject. At a time where developing our young workforce is so important we should be promoting this subject's standing, not having to fight the SQA for quality work which is available in abundance across the country in schools.

Replies

#5 Re:

2016-02-05 19:36:41

#3: -  

As a teacher of 30 years experience I can see the skills diminishing by the hour.  When i were a lad, i went to Reid Kerr college (Paisley FE ) for practical skills as part of my engineering degree.  Above the door to all the craft workshops stood a sign " let no man enter here who would deny craftsmanship" that stuck with me.  I absolutly did my best and put my best into every single project so I could show it off with pride" i made this" .  The bureaucracy has killed off pride and replaced it with "evidence".We are craftsmen not policemen.  TAKE A PRIDE IN YOUR WORK. let the pupils have a pride in their work ,do not hide it in cupboards.