Save Creative Writing in TAFE

Quoted post

Elise Hurst

#52 Course cost

2010-11-26 02:03

I would like this petition to spark a new look at what it takes to be a writer, potential income after study and most importantly a rethink on the cost of the courses for those who already have a higher degree. I think that the most undervalued aspect of the course is the range of students and what they bring to workshopping - most particularly anyone who has been in an aspect of the industry for a while and who has already done some study.

It is not just about hours and electives, it is about keeping the quality of students who flow through the course and allowing them to proceed at their own pace.

I did the course over five years, part time, and cannot imagine getting the same lasting benefit from it in a single year, or even two. And I am not alone. Many students are full-time workers trying to make the shift into a new career.

I would also like some recognition of the fact that building a creative career post-study is frequently a long and impoverishing experience. I'd like to see a new writer paying back the full fees from their future income. It's not like moving into plumbing or building where there are established rates and unions to help enforce them. We risk excluding too many people who don't have a high enough income to support the writing habit. Let's at least allow people to get the skills they need in the time it takes to learn them - and in a manner that will not bankrupt them.

Replies

Eva

#87 Re: Course cost

2010-12-01 00:43:07

#52: Elise Hurst - Course cost 

Sensibly and integrally said.