Support Filipino Sign Language Act of 2012 - House Bill 6079

Quoted post

#119 Re: Re:

2012-11-05 15:39

#117: Giselle - Re:

Hi miss Giselle: I just want to ask... How do you teach the English Subject- particularly communicating with appropriate grammar ? Do you use FSL? Thanks

Replies

giselle

#120 Re: Re: Re:

2012-11-06 00:52:52

#119: - Re: Re:

I taught Business Com (and motly multimedia thesis subjects). To level off,   I had to first discuss how Communication may differ with different kinds of people SL - Oral, Oral-Oral, SL-SL, different regional dialects (Oral and SL).  This (hopefully) gave my students an idea  about the differences in   structure  of languages vis-a-vis rules in communicating. I am also not very good in FSL. But in class my students tell me if there is a sentence that I signed and they did not understand.   So we help each other.

Of course I had to go back to basic English grammar. When I explain simple  syntax (S-V, S-V-O), I use  FSL.  I write down the sentences on the board so they see it and I write it in English.  When I explain rules I use FSl, when I interact with students in an activity, I use FSl. I do not check the English grammar when they do reporting in FSL; I do check it when they have something written on thier visual aids. Each week they were required to write letters.  I painstakingly edit them and they re-write it based on my comments.

Looking back, I would want to also see how effective my teaching was.  But I certaintly saw growth in  diligence, the love for reading and sensitivity to the written word among my students.

One of the rules is that when they do a presentation (specially) for Multimedia class, they have to make sure of the correct spelling and follow the rules of the written language.

Currently, I do more admin work (job placements, partnership building). But I still get  a lot of interaction with students (specially graduating ones). Checking on their resumes, job application form is one way I help teach English. In interview seminars, mock interviews we use FSL. But in answering forms,  they have to go back to the rules of the written word.

I hope this helped.

Here is my email: giselle.montero@benilde.edu.ph