U-46 bring our librarians back full time!

Quoted post

Ann Onymous

#70 An extra 50 minutes of library time is not the answer...

2011-02-02 04:14

I do miss having a librarian full time, however, we do not NEED them to help our children with their literacy goals. They are important, but certainly not crucial. If I had to choose between keeping classroom teachers hired and bringing back full time librarians, I would choose teachers.

My classroom library is not amazing, but it is sufficient. When I am lacking books on certain subjects or genres, I get a collection from Gail Borden or ask my school librarian to pull a collection for me. It takes a little more planning and effort on my part, but it is still doable. My part time librarian also allows my students to check out 3-4 books/checkout period which is truly enough for them when combined with my classroom books. We also need to encourage our families to become members of Gail Borden. There is NO cost involved (so long as they return their books on time) and there is a HUGE collection of literature in a variety of genres, reading levels, and content.

Obviously, if we were a debt free district then having full tine librarians and clerical aides would be great, but I am not in favor of rehiring the librarians at the expense of larger classroom numbers due to fewer classroom teachers.

Replies

#71 Re: An extra 50 minutes of library time is not the answer...

2011-02-02 07:55:12

#70: Ann Onymous - An extra 50 minutes of library time is not the answer... 

We are not choosing between teachers and librarians. Overcrowded schools are a different problem. Many children are not brought to the public libraries by their parents so the school libraries are all they have. Plus the librarians are very overwhelmed by the amount of books they have to re-shelve in addition to reading to the kids and guiding them on what book works best for them and any other duties they have when only working part-time. The district is pushing for literacy and sacrificing other things such as handwriting and spelling so it makes no sense that the library should be un-operative 1/2 the year. This petition will also be brought to the state reps and government officials in the hopes that the state can fund the district with the money they are owed.