Protect the Elham Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Protect the Elham Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

2015-05-03 06:38

because a campsite at such a critical part of the valley will effectively desecrate the entire area. there are currently wheels in motion to put the power lines under ground in that section, which seems a futile thing to do if you allow this camp site to proceed.

2015-05-03 10:21

similar problem in stelling minnis

2015-05-03 18:41

I really believed that an AONB was untouchable! Was I wrong?
Water 14

#129 Re:

2015-05-03 18:48

2015-05-03 20:20

The Elham valley is close to my heart as I come from neighbouring village Barham. It is a unique and beautiful valley. It cannot and must not be destroyed. Kent already has enough industry to spoil it. There will be few areas left to conserve. A campsite of all things to ruin such a precious part of England. Shame on the Shepway council.

2015-05-03 20:43

Permisssion was denied for an internal road and hard surfacing in 2010 as "it would be an excessively visually obtrusive and permanent change to the character and appearance of this site within the Kent Downs AONB and North Downs SLA, which would be harmful to the predominantly undeveloped rural character, contrary to the long-term management objectives" 

I can't see how this standpoint would have changed

Surely this means that there is no permission for the current work being undertaken at the site. Therefore wouldn't it be a good idea for anyone in the area who can photograph and document all works at the site, as it is undoubtedly infringing planning legislation.

2015-05-03 22:38

I regularly visit this area and after passing through last week am disgusted at the state of the so called campsite - it's a vile blot on the valley

2015-05-04 06:30

Look more closely at the person/s behind this development

#134 Re:

2015-05-04 09:35

#131: -  

Unfortunately whilst permission was recommended to be denied, the applicant withdrew the planning application before it was actually denied. Shepway then failed to enforce the removal of the road. Now it has been there for more than 4 years it may not be able to be removed through enforcement. The current owner has a LDC and Site Licence and is able to do most of the works on site without further planning permission.

#135 Re:

2015-05-04 16:39

#133: -  

I have looked at this "comment 133" and it appears most worrying..... Is it really going to be a caravan park or?? Living in Barham this makes me very concerned

2015-05-05 08:38

I am concerned that a number of important factors have not been adequately addressed regarding the suitability of this site for such a large scale and prominent development. These include the flooding of the site and implications for exacerbating flooding in farms and villages further down the valley as a result of works being carried out; the vehicle access to the site along the narrow and well used road; the appearance and visibility of the site in a particularly beautiful, protected area (AONB); the density and length of occupation of the site that may encourage use other than for tourism. Of particular concern is the apparent lack of consideration of the significant and potentially damaging change in scale of use and character of the site which is contrary to the Kent Downs AONB Management Plan 2014 - 2019 sections 3.6 Sustainable Development Policies and section 11 Sustainable Rural Leisure and Tourism and contrary to the guidance given in the Kent Downs AONB Landscape Design Handbook 2005 sections 2.2 Commercial developments, section 2.6 Caravan Parks, section 3 Landscape design character East Kent Downs p54.

2015-05-05 09:44

This site for is on a very narrow winding part of the Elham Valley. Cars need to stop in places to allow a bus or a truck to pass. An increase in slow-moving caravans would just exacerbate the problem. It gets flooded after heavy rain so would not be suitable for either camping or permanent caravans. There are no local shops or facilities and walking on the road is not desirable as there are no pavements. Work at this site needs to be stopped immediately and any permission for development in its present form should be rescinded.

2015-05-05 10:54

I am a resident of the Elham Valley and wish to retain its character. The site as described is totally inappropriate for the setting.

2015-05-05 11:31

Because we must treasure such areas of natural beauty and scientific interest.

Why not use Brownfield sites instead of agricultural land

2015-05-05 13:35

The Elham Valley is a very special AONB and was protected years ago by deregistering the road - it is unsuitable for extra traffic.
Being a flood plain it is only suitable for agriculture. How Shepway can believe that it can be used for long-term 'camping' is totally unbelievable and misguided.

#141 Re:

2015-05-05 15:56

2015-05-05 19:06

This is an AONB and should be kept as such, this proposal will put unnecessary strain on all resources. This is the thin end of the wedge, where next? It must be stopped.

2015-05-05 20:45

I lived near here for nearly 20 years, my parents lived near here for over 40 years, and my sister and her family still live near here. Why would you make an eyesore in a area of natural beauty and charm?

2015-05-05 22:14

It was never an unused grassed campsite - it had on e old rotting caravan that I assumed belonged top the pub. 45 caravans will be a blot on the landscape in an area of outstanding natural beauty! There is NO, I repeat, NO mains drainage in the area where will all the effluence go? I've heard it will b e discharged into the river which appears periodically. Canterbury Council refused to let me put ONE caravan on the farm opposite which had 300 acres.!

2015-05-06 12:41

I was bought up in the Elham Valley and it has been part of my life for the last 59 years! My mother lives in it and I am down nearly every other weekend. This is going to be chaotic on the roads and also dangerous - It also has other issues concerning people who might settle there on a more permanent basis and create health and rubbish issues - I don't think anyone has thought about how it will affect the countryside. this is a busy tourist area and already has numerous people enjoying cycle rides in this area any more traffic will be difficult for local traffic and also coming out of this area will be dangerous for all parties concerned.

2015-05-06 14:38

It's against planning regulations and is on a flood plain

2015-05-06 14:42

The site is in an AONB. Such a site would be totally out of keeping with such usage and appearance. How can this be allowed in an AONB when virtually all other development would not be. Such a decision makes a complete mockery of planning control and brings the whole system into disrepute and is, by implication, therefore not fit for purpose. This site must not be allowed to continue.

2015-05-06 20:50

So very many reasons why this is utterly unacceptable. AONB, regular flood area, lack of consultation, zero resources, unsafe road, I could go on and on. This would be a total blight on this truly stunning valley

2015-05-06 22:36

Its not finished yet but it's already ugly, noisy by day and flooding at one end after heavy rainfall!

How can Shepway Council ever of let this happen?  

Its quite obvious that these people have no regard for the environment, the countryside or the local people!

Shepway are more to blame than the land owner as the licence should never have been issued in the first place!

The owners who last ran the Palm Tree as a public house should be held accountable for supplying unlawful information to obtain an LDC, and also for the re-routing of the River Nailbourne!

SHAME ON YOU ALL!!!

2015-05-07 07:56

The park is on the absolute border of Shepway district and should require agreement from the Canterbury City Council and district residents before being authorised! This is the first I have heard of a long stay caravan park despite living only 2 miles from the site in the nearest village which is in the Canterbury district!