NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition NMMU PETITION: Unlawful Protests violating our Right to Education.

2016-09-28 19:12

Daar is kinders wat graag wil leer en hulle studiegeld betaal al gaan dit moeilik en al kry hulle nie beurse en lenings nie. Tyd en geld word gemors met die stakings
wat nou plaasvind.

2016-09-28 19:21

If they want respect they must earn it. If they want us to take them serious they must act apart and not like barbarians. They are suppose to be educated people, let you wonder? One thing they should learn from a young age is that the world don't owe you anything, you have to work hard and earn your place in life! SAficans think they must get everything for free. Can somebody explain to them how the economy works!!!!
Bienksie

#503 Re:

2016-09-28 19:28

2016-09-28 19:41

I believe the government should step in and prevent protestors from intimidating other students as well as destroying property. Peaceful protesting is acceptable. Violence and destroying propertyjust shows void of human intellect.

2016-09-28 19:45

I want my son and other students to be able to complete their studies/exams this year.

#506 Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Safety of Staff & Students

2016-09-28 19:53

#482: - Re: Re: Re: Re: Safety of Staff & Students 

You state you are part of the majority? Have you checked your figures? Looking at the Metro population figures this petition now equates to 0.35%, just saying...

2016-09-28 20:17

Although the students will be seen as only resorting to violence, it should be noted that if government officials were not as arrogant as they are, this matter could be resolved amicably around the table. Students are also urged not to destroy learning institutions.

2016-09-28 21:03

Because I pay for my own education ! Nothing is for free . By having things for free money is taken from others . Why must people suffer when they do pay their fees and don't protest . Why must we pay for no education now . Being pushed away from test .exams and classes . The protesters should be illuminated and taken legal action of their consequences . They should find a way like all of us do to pay their fees and not always expect everything for free !!

2016-09-28 21:24

Academic activities must resume.

2016-09-28 21:25

Why did you sign this petition? Actions are appoling, students can raise their voice in a different manner.

2016-09-28 21:58

I want to finish my degree. I have a right to the education I've paid for.

2016-09-28 23:01

The right to an education is fundamental to the future of every child and young adult. This is the foundation on which they will build the rest of their lives and on which our country depends.
No one has the right to prevent anyone from learning or from attending any institution into which they are enrolled or employed.
These "protests" have nothing to do with education. They are the attempt of a minority group to create political instability for their own means. There is absolutely no excuse for the criminal destruction of buildings, books and premises. These are riots not protests.
Our government owe it to our youth and to our country as a whole to stamp down on these dissidents and restore order in our universities.

2016-09-29 01:04

I want classes to resume.

2016-09-29 01:20

My daughter is a student and the protests effects her studies and obviously the whole household. She has very good grades till now and work hard for her education.

2016-09-29 01:55

My son is a student at NMMU, and it is costs a lot of money to keep him sitting there for nothing.

2016-09-29 03:55

My nephew is in 1st year at NMMU and extremely worried about how his learning has been interrupted. I also believe that any one group's rights should not in any way diminish the rights of others. There is the right to protest and there is also the right not to protest. Those who choose not to protest should not have their constitutional rights diminished in any way. Finally NMMU has an electronic learning platform called Incoko which they could easily be using right now to engage the students who wish to continue with their studies, why are you not exploring this option Acting Vice-chancellor?

2016-09-29 04:13

This is the second year protest action is intetfering with my son's education. Last year he managed to graduate but had to reregister for a subject to obtain, the prerequisite 60% to do masters. As a result his father threatened to take away his maintenance but after a fight he aggreed to pay the maintenance but with no adjustment. That has a significant impact on his ability to produce quality work since he has to buy materials for models and do copious amounts of printing of panels for presentatoon panels. He doesn't qualify for any aid schemes. His father earns too much. I cannot help due to being underpaid and we are struggling financially since his father lives in Dubai and doesn't really care about what happens to his kids... We litetally cannot afford another year like this. It is demoralising. It is damaging the credibility of our whole education system and the employability of our children. We all had to pay for our education. Sometimes at great cost to our families. I had to pay off loans to two institutions and I lived through it. The so - called white priviledged was not that priviledged.

2016-09-29 04:51

I see this partition as relevant to all universities. I have children at another university and am deeply concerned for their well being and future as well as the future of higher education in this country.  Paying of unversity fees puts huge strain on people, but it is a gift to our children which we do with pleasure for we are investing in the future of our children and of the country.  As much as we agree that fees are far to high we can not support the idiotic behaviour of the rioters.

2016-09-29 05:00

Our country's future depends on young educated people.

2016-09-29 05:07

I believe all people have a right to study.

2016-09-29 05:40

I'm a 3rd year student and I'm in my final year of studies . I can't afford to redo a whole year and I'm in deserate need of finishing my degree and moving into the real world to start my career .

2016-09-29 05:43

All serious students attending varsities throughout South Africa are having their right to education totally impinged by the lawless element who are causing havoc and the wholesale destruction of property. With rights comes responsibility. Without responsibility, the rights of these criminals to further education must be withdrawn.

2016-09-29 05:50

My son is a student. We pay full fees. He worked really hard to get university entrance. He has done so well at University and he would like to continue his studies. Why are the paying students penalised?

2016-09-29 05:51

My daughter is in her final year of teaching(foundation phase).
It is very unfare especially towards the final year students because they have paid the fees as dictated by the University for the last 4 years without moaning and now stand the chance of not getting their degree -and she has to go out there and start to work to pay back a bursary and study loan!There is a good chance of getting a post but a bigger chance of loosing it because she won't get her degree despite working very hard for it the last 4 years and never participating in student protests!

2016-09-29 06:00

Can't afford my son doing his first year over again! One year wasted! Also struggling to pay univ. fees but because white and have a job, not being seen as poor.