Petition urging FISA to preserve lightweight rowing

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Petition urging FISA to preserve lightweight rowing.

2016-10-21 09:39

This step will greatly decrease participation in rowing and add to the demise of the sport .

2016-10-21 11:39

Because I'm a lightweight rower myself and I know the sacrifices we make for our sport. It's a shame not to be given at least the chance to compete in the Olympics in more than just one event.

2016-10-21 11:44

Rowing is a sport that should be accessible and competed in by all.

2016-10-21 11:44

Just reinforce the already presented reasons for the petition.

2016-10-21 13:20

FISA should work to have more lightweight competitions in the olympics, it's importar to give the same opportunity to them as the heavyweight have now.

2016-10-21 14:03

My son rows for Ireland as a lightweight rower and I would hate for his dream be shattered of one day representing his country at the olympics

2016-10-21 14:38

We need a midweight category as well! most people aren't under 160 or over 200 naturally, even after training. The weight categories were created back when average heighters were shorter. Any guy who is 6'-6'3 is excluded from the sport, or has to become a rake or compete against monsters.

Why do the heavyweights get to keep ALL their events? Do we really need to see every permutation of boat size/type? Why not throw tripples into the sculling mix, and quintuples, and make a 6-person sweep boat? We already have too many on the heavy side. Make a midweight pair/four god damn it!

2016-10-21 16:06

I am a past International Lightweight Competitor and very appreciative of the opportunity to compete at this level not to mention the many friendships created in other countries. Rowing needs to grow its foundation in order to improve the talent surfacing as you move up the levels. Eliminating opportunity at the top will have a catastrophic affect down the levels as it discourages the participation in the introductory levels.

2016-10-21 16:52

The issue with lightweight rowing at the Olympic level is that they have never had a sweep lightweight event for women. Had they been forward thinking enough in the past to have had a women's lightweight 4-, then there would be no issue today. Too many Olympic events? Then cut down on the huge number of swimming events.

2016-10-21 16:54

The Olympic spirit is about inclusion, not discrimination. If the IOC and FISA wants to save money then eliminate the corruption within the organization; not the arbitrary discrimination of a class of bona-fide athletes who struggle to perfect their craft in the"pain cave" often unnoticed. These individuals have contributed to the Olympic spirit and its tradition for decades without succumbing to the almighty dollar of professional sports. Stop putting money before the ethics of sportsmanship and true athletic endeavor and think about the message you're sending to the youth of the world. That message is one of the fundamental tenets of the Olympic movement, How hypocritical of the IOC to invest millions to include ParaOlympians and then exclude someone because they don't weigh enough. Flyweight boxers and 132lb wrestlers and weightlifters use the same facilities as their heavier counterparts. Lightweight rowers use the same facilities as the heavyweights and although there would be additional cost associated with the manpower necessary for officiating,security and housing: compared to the total Olympic budget this is fiscal absurdity. If you want to promote athletics as a peaceful resolution to how we can coexist on this planet then your money would be better spent expanding the opportunities to recognize more athletic endeavors and not looking for ways to trim the cost at the expense of a group of athletes who have faithfully supported the Olympic movement.

2016-10-21 16:58

Lightweight rowers are some of the most physically fit and technically advanced athletes in the world. Celebrate their athleticism rather than cut them out. I cannot believe that eliminating weight classes in rowing is even being considered. What utter nonsense!

Add a women's lightweight 4-. Voila, done. Should have been done years ago.

2016-10-21 17:39

Because only 5% of the World human being have the hight and size to win Olympic Medals!
To make universality Rowing need to keep lightweight in the Olympic Program.

2016-10-21 18:19

Lightweight rowing expresses the purity and competitiveness of the sport in unique format.

2016-10-21 18:26

Lighweight rowing has a tremendous impact in popularizing rowing. Striking it down would be a shame.

2016-10-21 18:46

I'm a lightweight rower!

2016-10-21 18:59

Because I want to support my partner achieve her dreams in any way possible.

2016-10-21 19:09

Lightweight rowing

2016-10-21 21:33

I am a "natural" light weight rower, and it will be heartbreaking to see this event removed.

2016-10-21 21:47

I rowed for the U.S. in lightweight for six years and these are great events that are being cut back.

2016-10-22 00:07

Cause I think there is a place for lightweights. It means they can race their equal weight which means racing is even. I enjoy recruiting people to our wonderful sport of rowing and I think lightweight category gives more people the opportunity to be involved in rowing.

2016-10-22 00:17

Lightweight rowing is an important Olympic sport. It needs to be preserved so that folks of all sizes can compete fairly. This is diversity at the highest level and what it actually means.

2016-10-22 00:23

To increase or maintain the number of men's lightweight rowing events at future Olympics.

2016-10-22 02:36

My son is a lightweight rower and a two time National Champion. Rowing is his greatest passion and he dedicates himself daily and tirelessly to this incredible sport. Lightweight rowers are unbelievably disciplined due to the need to maintain their strength and athleticism, while at the same time their weight! Maintaining lightweight rowing in the olympics is essential and only fair when considering all athletes in this sport. It would be devastating not to do so!

2016-10-22 05:39

I think it is important to have both categories and should not penalise people for being a lighter weight.

2016-10-22 08:34

Save Lightweight rowing