WHEN GENOCIDE BECAME "FAMINE" : IRELAND, 1845 - 1850

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition WHEN GENOCIDE BECAME "FAMINE" : IRELAND, 1845 - 1850.

The Canadian-American

2014-06-16 22:42

Can't you people put things behind you? Yes it may have been terrible what the British did, but how is complaining about something that happened over one hundred and fifty years ago going to help the people that are gone. There is no such thing as an "Irish race" to #25. What do you want the Brits to do anyway, pay you all money? They didn't do anything, their ancestors did. Nobody is responsible for the sins of their fathers, and trying to brew up more conflict in a world where there already is so much is idiotic.

2014-06-18 10:45

Beidh an fhírinne i réim !

#403 Re:

2014-06-18 10:52

#401: The Canadian-American -

Its about rewriting the history books, To honour those that were forgoten in history. If it was your ancestors, im sure you would feel just as patriotic.

Joe C

#404 Re reply to Canadian American

2014-06-18 12:29

Thank you for your comment. No one is trying to whip up conflict. The British Deny fault for this. That is what is repugnant. They are afraid to look bad in the eyes of the world. The admins on this site hold no hostility to the British people. They are just as ignorant of the crime as those now being educated. I would wager you were taught absolutely nothing about the tragedy. I suspect from your name..Canadian American that you think the Red Indians and Mohican tribes were savages that had to be disposed of and Didn't The BritishGovernment..not the ordinary person do a great murderous job.Carried out starvation policie,displacement of millions to their own selfish ends. The American indian just as the Australian Aboriginals and the 2,000,000 + Bengalis that were murdered by Winston Churchill's starvation policies as well have suffered at the hands of British Imperialism. We make no apology for seeking justice for our forebears. No..we do not want money..we want the Truth and a better curriculum to teach the 'hidden truth' that is being deliberately withheld The British prime minister came to Derry and apologised for the Murder of all those Innocent people in Derry on Bloody Sunday. I suppose you thought that should be covered up as well as it was in the past. I can assure you Canadian/American that Britain will someday tell the world of their atrocious actions in my country. Unless we know our past we cannot create our future. Money? no . What good is money? Money is exactly what caysed the cause of million of our people to die on the roadsides and in coffin ships and in slavery and The government of Britain was responsible. Present and past governments are unwilling to admit that they were the root cause of the evil act. We may or may not succeed in our quest for the correct description of the murder of our people. That is what sticks in the craw of decent people worldwide when the so called rulers of Britain today call it Great Britain. It is and still is carrying out atrocities worldwide. We. wish you well Canadian/American and God bless those that your ancestors butchered as well. Teach your childre well.     Joe

2014-06-23 16:56

Please sign this

2014-06-28 20:19

its only right that people should be taught the true flow of evens, with an overwhelming amount of facts to support this, schools should be taught hard facts not fairy tales

2014-06-28 20:38

why hide the facts

2014-06-30 23:12

Men,woman and children,whose bodies were found had green around their mouths,from eating dock leaves in attempt to survive.the potato blight was not the reason for the great hunger as people have been led to believe..crops were plentiful as was seafood,poultry,and meat..what was not taken,was destroyed, R.I.P the souls who suffered.

2014-07-09 17:11

It's time the truth be told.

2014-07-12 15:17

Sharon mc crea

2014-07-19 09:30

Its something I believe in

2014-07-19 18:08

Liars go nowhere

2014-07-21 11:50

The final conquest of Ireland. No way Jose !!!!!!

2014-07-21 23:38

My maiden name is spelled Reaid. My grandfather said our family came from Ireland. I have been unable to find out if this was a correct spelling or was it miss spelled.
Joe C.

#415 Re: The surname Reaid

2014-07-30 20:31

#414: -

Hi there,

I cannot ever recall coming across the name Reaid. I would suggest it was probably Reid, or Reade. Perhaps your grandfather changed it for personal reasons. I would suggest you try to find the ships passenger lists if you know where he sailed from (or your great grandfather for that matter. It might point you in the right direction. Good luck and thanks for your support.  Joe C.   Admin.

2014-08-02 10:31

About time

2014-08-02 11:43

I believe its very important all Irish people sign this petition why because over I.5 million Irish people were deliberately murdered by starvation as result of a most foul plan created by our British neighbors that also forced nearly 2 million Irish people to leave their homeland Ireland to be replaced by British planters & land grabbers clearly (GENOCIDE)

2014-08-02 12:32

You can't change history but you can acknowledge the wrong you've done

2014-08-02 19:55

Enough is enough

2014-08-02 22:53

Many of my family suffered through the Holocaust emigration death starvation it just gets written off

2014-08-03 06:12

Great idea to uncover the facts about what really happened

2014-08-07 02:01

My Father tried to find information on which regiments were involved in the murder of Irish people during the starvation he could trace  ships laden with crops and wildstock which were forcibly removed from Ireland to their landing at Liverpool and Bristol to feed the English hungry.He was told that no records covering this period were available for public inspection,Why?It's not about compensation retribution or punishment it's about understanding where you came from and how your ancestor's were treated.Many of the hereditary illnesses Irish people suffer from now were formed by their treatment in that time.If the perpetrators as a Nation don't understand, face upto or remember their part in History what is to stop them repeating their actions?

Joe Canning..Admin.

#423 Re: Guest 422 comment.

2014-08-07 08:08

#422: Guest -  

Hi there, thank you. You are correct in what you say. People have carried the hereditary effects and Irish people are constantly being asked why they have a grudge or harbour feelings against the British government because of this. If the truth of their actions were exposed to the world fewer questions would be asked of us. 

Chris Burke

2014-08-11 18:28

Ireland needs to be more concerned about it's own country. There's talk of genocides in other countries. Let's start with getting our own admitted to and put in the history books. It was NO Famine!

Chris Burke

#425 Re:

2014-08-11 18:31

If you read the petition you'd know what we want and it's closure. There was a genocide committed by the English on the Irish people, up to and including slavery. An apology would be nice however, we want the history books changed. Millions of people did not die because of a potato blight, they died because the English took the rest of the food out of the country by armed guard! Get off this site you eejit, not a clue what you're on about! Hide behind your Canadian American name! Show your face and use your real name! Coward!