Save Ewell Playing Fields

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Ewell Playing Fields.

2014-04-28 20:34

As someone involved in school and community sport the threat to any playing field is hugely concerning.It would appear somewhat contradictory of councils and government to on one hand enthuse about the positive impact of sport on both children's and adults' health whilst potentially allowing the removal of the very areas where this might take place.Granted ,this green space is not being lost completely but the knock on effect of reducing the number of pitches would restrict access to community users and end the historical club connection of Old Salesians FC which over the years has given otherwise unavailable opportunity to young men from Battersea.
General Secretary of the Putney (and Roehampton) Primary School Sports Association. PPSSA.

2014-04-28 21:43

I lived locally and have used these playing fields. This is so similar to the time when councils thought they too many school places. They sold off schools and land and now do not sufficient school places. So short sighted, again.

2014-04-29 08:35

just leave are playing/sports fields alone

#179 Re:

2014-04-29 08:37

#2: -

I agree, but you know what, with the vast immigration population coming into this country, and when we become a good economic country again, the polish will flood this country as they did in the mid 90's. It will never end, it will be meet and demand, all the pubs that close donw are now builded on for flats. We need to make a stand, otherwise we will become like delhi of india and believe me you dont want to live there with a mass population. UKIP have a point. We can all see it, in epsom spot the person talking the english language. In sainsburys kiln lane, the only people who use english are the staff and a few customers. This country is becoming a non identified country, especially with so many EU poverty countrys immigrants coming into this country.

2014-04-29 09:07

Youth need playfields for sport

2014-04-29 09:30

used to play on these fields when I was a kid in school (salesian Collage)

2014-04-29 09:48

Shame what's happening to Grassroots sports! Some Olympic Legacy! Participation getting worse because lack of funding yet more overpriced flats are bring built

2014-04-29 10:07

I first come to Silesian football club when I was 18 years old 10 years on and they are still going strong good people good club

2014-04-29 10:58

I am supporting this petition because of the tremendous work done to the community by Salesian FC.

2014-04-29 15:56

Having played football at Ewell as a teenager I would be very sad to see it developed. We need more sports facilities not less.

2014-04-29 16:29

We don't need more homes for the elderly in ewell

2014-04-29 17:02

We need these playing fields to encourage the youngsters, there are already too many schools without a proper playing field for sport. It will be a great shame to take this away from the community & I believe a huge mistake.

2014-04-29 17:42

this proposal goes against the desire to maintain playing fields and is likely to affect adversely the wellbeing of the local community.

2014-04-29 21:06

With the nations's health in decline it is imperative playing fields are kept open, kids need to have space to play!

2014-04-29 21:35

How can this field be built on ? The road to it is tiny ! The congestion going through Ewell is already diabolical ! I live near Ewell Castle school and some days I can smell the pollution when I open my front door ! The village cannot take any more cars going through it or around it, the Ewell bypass is solid with traffic in rush hour. It's just crazy to keep concreting over any green around here.
The infrastructure can't cope... It's impossible to get a doctors appointment, they are so booked up, for days in advance.
The schools are full around here, I know 2 families from ewell who have to get in their cars and drive their primary school children to Nork as the local schools are full ! And the government say there are too many cars on the road .... Sometimes we have no choice !
Two schools use that field for sports, let them keep it for sports. Let the wildlife still have it too !
rod

#191 My planning objection

2014-04-29 22:01

This was my first planning objection at the age of 33. There were many more points such as the cricket usage in summer that would be lost and the local schools who use this on a regular basis but I ran out of characters. I really hope the council sees how important this site is and makes the right decision.

Dear Epsom & Ewell,

I have been using these playing fields since the age of 12 and attended Salesian College Battersea. I as are many people from the local community and across london are extremely concerned with what has been happening over the sale and planning on this cherished site.

I will try and outline my key concerns:

A) I fully support the care of the elderly but why would we destroy such a wonderful ancient open green space to build a carehome. There must be alternatives available such as brownfield sites where construction could take place that would
regenerate rather than degrade.

B) According to the telegraph 1 school playing field is sold off every 3 weeks under the current government. In my opinion this is extremely short sighted and is a terrible long term strategy. If this continues there will be no green spaces for future generations. The plans submitted reduce the playing fields considerably, build on the best football pitch which is of near premier league level and evict the rightful custodians of the club Old Salesian FC who are Ewell through and through.

C) Now on to my third point. Old Salesians FC. I have had the privilege to coach a youth side this year the 6th team and witness the remarkable work of Old Salesians FC. The club has 7 teams including a VETS team. There are even fathers and sons still playing at the club and the players are of all ages, backgrounds. It is an amazing site to see the clubhouse with people young and old side by side where in our modern society it is quite hard to reach young people, we have a vehicle to engage them, teach them discipline, sportmanship and respect.

Any planning should secure the future of OSFC for another 80 years. I believe we are to be evicted at the end of the season.

Yours faithfully,
jef

#192 Re:

2014-04-29 22:06

#176: -

Such a valid point. The government bang on about sport but at the same time have a policy that seems to encourage the sales of playing facilities.

2014-04-29 22:23

All of the site is required for extensive daily School and Local Community sports usage.

#194 Re:

2014-04-29 23:41

#24: -

Having spent the time reading the full application ,  I totally agree with this comment.    The new ( improved) facilities will offer more facilities for more sports than the  current site offers , in conjunction with an After Care facility.     Cricket, hockey, football, mini-soccer/junior football, are all planned with an All Weather Pitch (AWP) and a natural turf pitch for football, rugby and lacrosse.    The development of the site offers a huge opportunity to expand sports within the borough, with the minimum of impact on the neighbouring residents.

Just as  in business it seems to be a natural response to fight against change, whatever it is.   If the development goes ahead (which I sincerely hope it does) I would bet that two years after completion everyone now against it would change their minds !

2014-04-30 08:51

Save the fields

2014-04-30 10:09

A healthy mind in a healthy body"
was my old School's motto. E&E Councillors should take due note.

2014-04-30 13:04

As usual green belt spaces are any easy option to sell off. Derelict and uninhabited buildings should be a priority to upgrade and or replace not our green belt areas. The government are encouraging more sports involvement.

2014-04-30 13:07

It is an absolute disgrace that any planning of any kind is to take place on this field! It doesnt take an einstein unless the developer is totally naive and only thinking of their pockets!, this will take away many activities that these fields are used for!..especially to my children who use this field with their school especially for sports day as their school is far to small for such a great event to take place. Congestion in traffic will be a nightmare in old schools lane and an accident waiting to happen!..
ted

#199 Re: Re: #194

2014-04-30 14:18

#194: - Re:

In response to the sports legacy. This deal has nothing to do with the provision of sport but everything to do with the money that will be made.

If they did they would be eviciting one of the oldest amateaur football clubs in London that serves hundres of players from across london and does such great work in the community.

Nor would they reduce the size and quality of the playingfields and exclude cricket from any future plans.

The local schools that use these facilities week in week out also don't see the benefits of destroying this beautful land with a 3 story carehome.

But money makes the world go round. Let's just build on all our remaining green space. Crazy!

EVRA

#200 Re: Re: Re: Old Salesians FC & Ewell Playing Fields

2014-04-30 14:37

#156: Another concerned resident! - Re: Re: Old Salesians FC & Ewell Playing Fields

re: ARE EVRA OR THE COUNCILLORS LOOKING AT THIS

I can confirm EVRA has looked at this and has submitted a letter outlining our objections to this plan based on planning, transport and local amenity policies.