CBS Railway Bed

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition CBS Railway Bed.

2014-05-11 22:59

Free the track

2014-05-11 23:52

Keep it open not a hard decision at all.

2014-05-13 15:50

Very disappointed in the mayor/councillor's for not solving this to satisfy both groups walkers/ATV riders, THIS IS WHAT MAKES CBS UNIQUE a trail to ride your ATV on just outside your door
Dog walker

2014-05-13 15:51

I walk my dog on the trail several times a week and never have had a problem with atvs or dirt bikes passing me at high speed, even kids slow down to pass. When I look out the window the number of walkers and riders on that trail each day is usually pretty close on equal. It's a great way to get kids involved in the outdoors and shouldn't be taken away until the other trail is ready.

2014-05-13 22:35

People can walk on side roads,bikes can't our only way out is the track a lot of bike owners don't have trucks to haul the bikes outside of town to use them

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2014-05-20 23:14

#82 CBS Council Disregards Tract Findings

2014-05-20 23:21

CBS are going backwards.....I guess the 17,000 km Trans Canada Trail stops/starts at Indian Pond for ATV Users. Why pay for an Expert study when non subject matter elected officials just do what they please anyhow....the Conception Bay South T-Railway Development Plan by Tract Consulting Inc (that we paid for) clearly and without dispute states that the ATV ByPass should be completed first before implementing an ATV ban on the existing Railbed and development of the Trailway can begin. Our town needs to know what was done here by the CBS Council, 1) goes against common decency, and 2) our tax dollars has paid for an Expert Study and their final findings were disregarded by elected officials. I ask the ATV Rail Riders Association (http://totallyoutdoorsnl.com/group/atvrailridersassociation) to champion our cause...we need our displeasure/concern voiced to CBS and the Newfoundland TrailWay Council (http://www.trailway.ca/). I am up for a protest an an ATV Ride to a Council Meeting.

2014-05-24 13:00

Totally agree to have the decision to close the railbed from Foxtrap to Holyrood reversed. Spent many enjoyable rides on this trail. So disappointed it it closed. I have sent a letter to the Town of CBS but no response. Can't see how this is being upheld as there are so many upset ATV riders. Unbelieveable! Town Council sure is taking the heart out of their community!

2014-05-25 22:50

This is unfair. Help us keep our railway bed. No need to exclude us from using a public trail that can be shared. Hey. How about the town police having to do some work policing the trail to weed out the offenders.
ATVRob

#85 Enforcement

2014-06-03 12:48

Nothing wrong with ATV's. its the ones that fly flat out that made it bad for everyone. Enforcement for reckless drivers should be enforced instead of kicking atv'ers off the trail.
Chris

#86 Keep the Trail Open.....

2014-06-16 23:02

I am originally from Grand Bank, NL and have been living in Ontario since 1987. In 2010 I brought 3 of my mainlander friends to NL. We rode our quads from Port aux Basques to Paradise. My friends still talk about the trip being the best thing they have ever done and want to come back in 2015. They praise the hospitality of the NL people all the time. My relatives in GB still use the trail every summer. Why would we close anything that gives us the opportunity to promote our Province and all Newfoundlanders! We are recognized all over the world as "easy-going" people. I am sure there is a way to work out this issue without closure.

2014-07-14 18:35

I heard when the trail way is done for ATV'S people are allowed to be on it. If that's the case we should be able to go on the railway bed. .... I walked the track before I had a UTV not a ATV & a lot of ATV users slowed down or even stopped til I walked pass them . The dirt bikes was a problem but then again not all. So I say why band us all from the trail bed. Let us all use the trail bed, I would even pay a yearly rate to use the track. Just like I do in Marys town.
BM

2014-08-08 22:00

I haven't used the rail bed, but it should not have been closed! I live on the south side of the CBS highway, and I can't even go in the road to get to the woods! You know the town of CBS has NO official policy I can find to allow ATVs OR ban them. I've looked and can't find anything written down. I've written to the town and they point me to this act: http://www.assembly.nl.ca/Legislation/sr/Regulations/rc961163.htm , which I believe bans ATVs on provincial roads, but this act: http://www.assembly.nl.ca/legislation/sr/statutes/m20.htm , gives council the authority to allow it. ATV's can drive on the town roads of Garnish and you can drive on the side of the road in Gander to access thier trails. I've been in contact with both municipalites to confirm this. There's no reason why we couldn't have a 'premit' system in place in CBS. I'm certain there would be a great number of ATV owners who would sign up. The problem with most government members is the 'old school' mentality. What some people don't realize is the machines we have today are a far cry from the old 3 wheelers of yesterday! Some are even more expensive than some new cars! It's unfortunate when an operator is severely injured or killed, but it happens to motorists everyday, yet the news is not all over those stories! I say the government should step in and either let us use them or ban them in the province all together; but we have to br reimbursed for the full value of the machine, regardless of condition! I read a 2005 article from CBC which stated at the time there were 40000 registered ATVs in the province. That adds up to a fine chunk of change!

2014-08-12 23:43

The closure of the railway bed to recreational vehicles is a tragedy. I moved to CBS because of the beautiful scenery and the chance to be outdoors with my family. Our leisure time, we were always out for a ride, respectfully and legally. Too bad, I will support anyway possible to keep the trail way open, but it doesn't look to promising. Have to buy a trailer now, instead of leaving my garage. Sin, it was too easy I guess.

2014-09-20 15:49

Leaving our home in Long Pond and heading to the cabin on our bike was always a pleasure... now.. we have to load up the bike and drive to the cabin!! Un fair!!

2014-10-28 21:36

it sucks we can not use railway it was only reason I bought a house in cbs
John

#92 Re:

2015-06-11 23:11

#1: -  

put sidewalks on main road through ALL of CBS so wlakers can walk there.  I have seen wheelchairs try to four wheel over sides of main road with no sidewalks! Leave trailway for use for all!!

Trail Ridder

#93 Re:

2015-06-12 11:05

I have ridden the trailway in other parts of the province and Canada the communities have embraced the activity and in doing so has attracted tourists.  The town of CBS is missing out on a great opportunity by chastising their citizens.

2015-06-12 13:30

Instead of the city teaching respect and honor for the community, they seem to be more caught up wasting resources with barricades and enforcing poor by-laws. With the use of fair and strict usage laws and regulations to keep riders and walkers safe and respected is a fair answer. And is a proven method all across Canada (http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/pdfs/smart-ride-safe-ride-ATV.pdf). It will get the problematic riders educated and informed, and teach our kids to be respectful and remove hate against groups in society. It may be an overwhelming amount of work now because I hear and read more non motorized users of the trail that feel entitled, and the motorized users are left in the dark with no one listening. This is a trailway that connects so many other paths and walking trails and its a highway to our culture. Bring back our tracks.

2015-06-12 13:31

To keep these types of a tv off the main roads. They need a safe place for travelling.

2015-06-12 15:25

Keep the track open keep the youth from turning to drugs for recreational fun… id even pay a small fee for a trail pass

2015-06-12 16:06

The counsel went back on their word for the people who use the trail responsibly

2015-06-12 17:29

No comment

2015-06-12 18:19

There's more ATV use than pedestrian use the community should of had it's trail finished before they turned over the railbed

2015-06-12 18:22

I think it's rediculas that the rail bed was made for pedestrians only. Why does CBS install sidewalks ? I do agree that there needs to be rules in place. But to cut off the track in Holyrood is like stopping a Newfoundland tradition. Newfoundland is known for it's out door recreation, unfortunately only from Holyrood West.