Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services

More info please

/ #131

2014-10-19 01:55

abcdef abcdef

Alright...so I'm not trying to start a fight here but I think we as the public need a little more information on this story.  Please read my entire post before you decide to bite my head off. This information we have been provided is coming from a third party source. She is a co-worker, not even the young man's parent or caregiver. I would be interested to hear what the young man's Mother has to say as well as the person who told her that her son was no longer allowed to utilize the Handi-Transit.

Firstly, I have to ask if this young man is accompanied by anyone? A caregiver or someone with training and knowledge about Autism. Someone who is familiar with the young man's routines/triggers/comforts.  If so, would that person not be able to accompany him on the city bus? I understand that a city bus might require a transfer. Hence, my question about being accompanied by a familiar person. If he is not accompanied I would tend to think that allowing someone with the capacity of a three year old should not be left alone on any bus. Maybe I’m wrong.

This leads me to my next question. What kind of training do the Handi-Transit drivers have? I work in the health care field and have had the chance to speak with a driver a few years ago and was told then that if anything should happen on the bus they are advised to pull over and call the police or a family member if they have that information. They are to ensure the safety of all the riders to the best of their ability. This could have changed over the years. That is why I ask.

I am just trying to open the dialogue for a conversation that is based on facts and of course opinions and not just 128 posts of 'that's terrible', 'what a disgrace' and 'disgusting'. I think that we have only heard a small portion of one side of the story. Has anyone attempted to contact the City or Handi-transit to verify or discuss any of this? I have not.

Regardless, this is certainly a touchy subject and really has no simple answer to what I'm sure has 100 plus questions. My personal opinion is that each case should be reviewed individually. Again, I am not looking to start a fight, just more informed dialogue.