Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services.

2014-10-18 22:44

I really think more consideration needs to be made for your rules. Not everyone fits in the same box, make room for those less capable that they to are able to be independent as much as possible instead of restrictions that cause them to feel isolated and worse unwanted citizens. Let's get real.

2014-10-18 22:51

It is so sad to see a human being who is developmentally challenged struggle daily for the simple things in life,and so horrific to think that these decision makes create even more challenges for the already struggling human being….
angry in Wetaskiwin

#128 Developmentally Challenged Greater Sudbury

2014-10-18 22:51

As a proud N. Ont. girl I am absolutely stunned and disgusted by this latest decision of the "smart" politicians of Greater Sudbury.  I now live in Alberta, but have lived and/or worked, visited and shopped in the Sudbury area for 57 years and have many relatives and friends who still live there.  It is reprehensible that you are denying transportation services to any group of individuals, especially the developmentally challenged. Have you ever walked a mile in their shoes?  Do you ever take  time to think of the repercussions your assinine decisions affect anyone other than yourselves?  Obviously not,  because you don't even have an appeals process.  You should be ashamed and embarassed, as I am, for the further hardships you are forcing on these individuals and their parents, extended family and caregivers.  As politicians, even you have sunk to a new low.  SHAME ON YOU!!!!  

2014-10-19 01:06

This is truly a tragedy. I am truly disappointed with this city.

#130 no subject

2014-10-19 01:53

as if this is

More info please

2014-10-19 01:55

abcdef abcdef

Alright...so I'm not trying to start a fight here but I think we as the public need a little more information on this story.  Please read my entire post before you decide to bite my head off. This information we have been provided is coming from a third party source. She is a co-worker, not even the young man's parent or caregiver. I would be interested to hear what the young man's Mother has to say as well as the person who told her that her son was no longer allowed to utilize the Handi-Transit.

Firstly, I have to ask if this young man is accompanied by anyone? A caregiver or someone with training and knowledge about Autism. Someone who is familiar with the young man's routines/triggers/comforts.  If so, would that person not be able to accompany him on the city bus? I understand that a city bus might require a transfer. Hence, my question about being accompanied by a familiar person. If he is not accompanied I would tend to think that allowing someone with the capacity of a three year old should not be left alone on any bus. Maybe I’m wrong.

This leads me to my next question. What kind of training do the Handi-Transit drivers have? I work in the health care field and have had the chance to speak with a driver a few years ago and was told then that if anything should happen on the bus they are advised to pull over and call the police or a family member if they have that information. They are to ensure the safety of all the riders to the best of their ability. This could have changed over the years. That is why I ask.

I am just trying to open the dialogue for a conversation that is based on facts and of course opinions and not just 128 posts of 'that's terrible', 'what a disgrace' and 'disgusting'. I think that we have only heard a small portion of one side of the story. Has anyone attempted to contact the City or Handi-transit to verify or discuss any of this? I have not.

Regardless, this is certainly a touchy subject and really has no simple answer to what I'm sure has 100 plus questions. My personal opinion is that each case should be reviewed individually. Again, I am not looking to start a fight, just more informed dialogue.

#132 Re:

2014-10-19 03:17

#131: More info please -  

To start, handi transit is not responsible for these decisions. It is run by the city. This young man is not accompanied by anyone. Yes when assessed he functions between a 3-5 year level. The work he does at his day program is that what you would see children in kindergarten doing.  For him to ride handi transit  is no different than sending your 4yr old on a school bus to attend school. Would you put them on public transportion to get safely to school?  He is picked up at his driveway, he gets on the bus where he sits and wears a seatbelt.  When he arrives at his destination there is someone to meet him. Every rider on handi transit was sent for an assessment.  From this assessment letters were sent to the riders.  This young mans letter states...

"The Eligibilty Assessment Advisor has recommended that you have the physical ability to use conventional Greater Sudbury Transit for you transportation needs.  We therefore regret to inform you that you are ineligible for Handi-Transi service."

Never once have I claimed my son has a physical disability. He walks fine, dresses himself, can even tie his own shoes. What the Advisor did not recognize is the fact my son could not answer a simple question..such as how often do you ride the bus, how long have you rode the bus...he could not follow simple instructions such as, lift your left leg, stand on one foot etc... 

What it comes down to is... The city is only allowing people with physical disabilities to access this service. We are fighting for them to recognize there is a vast amount of different disabilities out there.  Please do not choose to only acknowledge physical as your only form of ridership. 

I hope this helps answer some of your concerns, if you would like to know more, please ask away.

i do agree with your final thought that each case should be reviewed individually. As long as it is not just based on a physical standpoint. 

Sincerely, the mother of the young man in question 

2014-10-19 05:15

Absolutely horrible.

2014-10-19 08:34

I am a support worker for these individuals and this is really terrible not sure what we are going to do ?????

2014-10-19 08:38

We have a child with special needs, and being in grade 4, this is the first year a bus was available to him. This has given life to our family, greatly, in terms of building a better life foe him, economically . We are able to work and better provide.
More info please

#136 Re: Re: #132

2014-10-19 10:28

#132: - Re:  

Thank you for the additional information. It helps to give insight into this situation and allows people to make more informed decisions, conversations and responses rather than ones based on an emotional reaction. Best of luck to you and your family and all others who may encounter similar situations. I will now gladly sign your petition. 

2014-10-19 11:52

This is ubsurd they dont have a right to discriminate this is the most disgusting thing i have ever heard of she is working to support her child and this is pathetic she is only making sure her son is safe and they do not have the right to do that i think he has every right to ride the bus its not like the money is coming out of their pocket this is so sad wish you luck

2014-10-19 12:35

This situation is just wring on so many levels.

2014-10-19 12:44

Doesn't surprise me...autistic people get the shaft by the provincial and federal government and have been for a long time...so this disgusts me but doesn't surprise me at the municipal level.

2014-10-19 13:00

unbelievable shame on you Sudbury

2014-10-19 13:39

With the municipal elections coming up, my vote will go to the one who will put a stop to this nonsense.  

It doesn't matter

#142 Re:

2014-10-19 13:46

#2: -  

Totally agreed.  Last time I check these are all listed in the DSM 5, which is, for lack of a better term "the bible" when dealing with illness'.  Whether they are mental or physical, to discriminate against such a major part of this community is a crying shame.  But hey, lets keep trying things to slow down traffic in the southend, or lets keep wasting money on all kinds of research as to which is the best way to spend important needed money, in the most ridiculous way.  If you ask me, with elections around the corner, I vote no confidence in any of our councillors, as well as mayoral candidates.  But thats just my opinion.

Signed,

one p-o'd and disappointed sudburian

2014-10-19 14:32

This is awful that the city would have no heart.I wish you NEVER have to go through this in your life.

2014-10-19 14:55

I am from Sudbury originally and have a special needs child this is wrong

2014-10-19 17:11

This is very wrong. You don't qualify for disability unless you are disabled. There are many with mental disabilities and that is that is the purpose of a Handicap bus!

#146 Sigh

2014-10-19 17:42

From the city's point of view, if they can walk, they can get on public transit, but that doesnt negate the fact that these people need this service.  As a tax paying Sudburian, Id rather my taxes go towards helping those in need, rather than paying for people who take advantage of Sudbury Housing (I know of people who are known ABUSERS, and the city does nothing due to human rights [I use this example whereas many more come to mind]) Where are these morals when dealing with human rights of the disabled?  Obviously not with our elected officials, thats for certain.  In the next election, vote for me, I'll be the person out on the street, trying to keep warm in a cardboard box if things keep going this way in the city's infrastructure.

2014-10-19 19:06

This is ridiculous! I am so tired of hearing that decisions are being made without a thought process! We pay taxes. We are Canadian! We have every right to sit where we pay to sit, where we choose to stand, and say what we need to say so we can be heard.. Our sermon at church was very interesting, today. It was about politics, a subject I did not necessarily think was to be discussed in the house of our Lord. But it seems, I was wrong and it could not have come at a better time. The priest indicated that not to vote because you think 2 of the 3 parties are not that which you want to be represented by. And the 3rd party has no chance, is no reason not to vote. Sometimes a non popular vote is the strongest one of all. He also noted throughout history, one vote made all the difference , in many cases.. Do not consider your vote wasted when you make a controversial one- consider it one that will be heard loud and clear.... Make certain your party represents you- and if the two major parties think one will get in regardless of their stand- show them you have a stand of your very own.. IT IS CALLED FOR " IN THE INTEREST OF ALL CANADIAN PEOPLE" ...NOT JUST THE ELITE- WHO DO NOT NEED HELP ! IT IS FOR THE MAJORITY - THOSE WHO ARE PAYING FOR EVERYTHING!
IT IS NOT JUST FOR THE EDUCATED- THOSE WHO CAN AFFORD THE BEST! IT IS FOR THOSE WHO STRUGGLE WITH JOBS, FAMILIES AND STUDIES SIMULTANEOUSLY! IT IS NOT JUST FOR THOSE WHO KNOW THE SYSTEM- IT IS FOR THOSE WHO NEED THE SYSTEM; BUT THE SYSTEM IS TO FULL OF THE DEAD WOOD, DEAD BEATS TO ACCOMMODATE THOSE IN NEED. OUR GOVERNMENT IS NOT INTERESTED IN BETTERING CANADA FOR CANADIANS IN NEED! OUR GOVERNMENT IS MORE INTERESTED IN BEAUTIFYING CANADA FOR THEIR OWN GREED... WE HAVE A PROBLEM... A REAL PROBLEM... IT IS NOT ONLY A LABEL- THE PEOPLE HAVE NAMES, ( THEY BELONG TO A FAMILY THAT PAYS YOUR SALARY) THEY HAVE HEARTS- BIGGER THAN YOU CAN EVER IMAGINE ! THEY HAVE BRAINS- SOME MORE THAN YOU CAN EVER HOPE TO HAVE! THEY KNOW MORE THAN YOU GIVE THEM CREDIT FOR- I AM AWED BY SOME OF OUR INTELLECTUALLY , EMOTIONALLY, AND PSYCHOLOGICALLY
CHALLENGED . BE IT AUTISM, CEREBRAL PALSY OR ABI OR ANY OTHER DISABILITY FOR THAT MATTER... I HATE TO SHOCK YOU INTO REALITY;HOWEVER, THESE ARE OUR PEOPLE.. OUR RESPONSIBILITY.. AND IF YOU CANNOT HELP, SHOW COMPASSION, GIVE FUNDS , HELP WHERE IT IS NEEDED- RIGHT HERE- IN THIS "GREAT" LAND OF OURS... THEN FOLKS VOTE THE DEAD BEATS OUT...SPEAK OUT FOR YOUR LOVED ONES.. THE GOVERNMENT HAS OBVIOUSLY FORGOTTEN WHO THEY ARE REPRESENTING! LET'S SHOW THEM THE LOVE AND LET US HELP THEM GET BACK WHAT THEY HAVE OBVIOUSLY LOST! OUR SUPPORT!
NOT JUST THE EDUCATED- WHO CAN AFFORD EDU

2014-10-19 19:07

The person who person(s) who came up with this policy should be ashamed of themselves. Riders with mental issues who need guidance in their day to day activities are the people most in need of this service. I wonder at what age these people would allow their own children to leave the house to take the bus. I bet it is a lot older than the mental level of a lot of the people they have said are no longer eligible to take handitransit. I think it is one of the most shameful policies the city has imposed.

#149 Re: Re: Re: #132

2014-10-19 21:17

2014-10-20 00:28

All I have to say is the City has a fight on it's hands. They are in direct violation of Ontarians with a disability act and it is also a Human Rights Violation. What a slap in the face to the developmental movement. Shame on our City! They are taking away people's independence and freedom. Some may even lose the jobs they have. I am so angry with our city. Guess it was wise for the Mayor not to run again!! She won't have to deal with the shit storm when it hits.