Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services

Ella

/ #208 riding on a mobility bus

2015-02-06 03:00

My very sweet 25 year old daughter is also delayed (age 7ish) and uses our city's mobility system because she is not able to navigate, and has no fear of strangers..She would not be able to find her way to the bus stop (the police will go looking if she goes missing) although she walks ok.. but would not find her way to the bus stop to go to ARC industries (work program she attends 2 days /week to stuff newspapers into plastic bags) and to have social time with her friends (others in similar circumstances developmentally)  ..... I too pay for a monthly bus pass. the (mobility bus) forms had to be filled out by her physician and she had to qualify ..
So by taking away their human rights as individuals and allowing them some freedom to travel on their own,  it will punish the parents caring for their children at home and cause frustration for both parents and children including adult children, and cause burnout..
and I don’t want to hear people complain they don’t want their tax $$ spent on my child..
when she was a newborn in a neonatal ICU having seizures they could not control after weeks and we knew there was brain damage and she was intubated,
mechanically ventilated and while in a phenobarb coma... I did ask to have the life support removed and let God decide if she lives or not... (I know some will judge me.. I say cast the first stone after you've walked in my shoes and know the rest of the story...)
I was told 25 years ago by that Neo-natal Dr they would get a court order and I would not get custody of my newborn daughter.. I was still pumping milk and she was almost 5 weeks old.. (just because we can save them.. doesn’t mean it’s always a good thing).. How long do we use Extra ordinary measures or how long do we prolong painful tests or surgeries, Is it right to stop any life support or heroic measures?
after my marriage of 15 yrs buckled under the strain of 4 children (3 healthy) I think she is ENTITTLED to some of your tax dollars ....
Anyways getting back to Mobility for Autistic, developmentally delayed,
Down syndrome, or any other person who is not able to find their way on their own.. or is deemed by their physician to be “not able” to use the regular transit then I believe it is against their human rights to be denied.
... its very sad that our most vulnerable are so de-valued by society ......

" How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great "