Off-leash dog parks SLC

Toby Clouseau

/ #35

2015-02-06 18:54

My two hounds need to run.  Being that B&LCC are closed to animals, Millcreek is the next canyon option to explore with a dog, and it gets overrun on some days.  Great for the soical lives of the dogs, not always so great for the humans and their impact on the canyon.  I can drive them to Tanner Park, Neff's Canyon, or Millcreek on odd days, but it would be much nicer if we can identify some places in SL Co where there is room enough for large dogs to run (3-6 acres) in a more natural setting than a grassy patch with a bark mulch play pit.  I would be happy to donate toward poop bags and water amenities, refuse collection, help with volunteer clean up, if we only had a place to use.  

The property across Banbury Drive from Bywater Park would be ideal if the property owner and CH City/SL County can get an agreement in place to proceed.  It's large enough for big dogs to run, there is a variety of terrain, water, and two or three entrances from public streets.  Before it was completely closed to the public, several trash cans and a few poop bag dispensers were installed and partially funded by the users.  It was informally used by nearby on and off-leash dog owners, as well as sledders, bicyclists, walkers, joggers, and an obstacle course had been set up for a group event back in 2012 using the trails that exist on the property.  A lack of self-discipline by an extreme minority of users to pick up their dog's feces and control an aggressive animal forced the property owner to close it to everyone to stop interference with patrons' privacy and repsect for the nature of the business (a cemetery and mortuary).  I have been told that the city of CH has been considering working with the owner to put a park in place either though buying or leasing the land.  I would be in full support of this idea.