Off-leash dog parks SLC

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Off-leash dog parks SLC.

#26 Off-leash park areas

2015-02-04 15:59

You are showing a picture here of the pond at Big Cottonwood East of three dogs that here are supposed to be on-leash.    Frankly I don't have a problem with dogs being off-leash at this park, but a huge percentage of the folks walking their dogs there, and at Olympus Hills Park, and elsewhere simply already ignore the rules.   Follow the rules first and get others to follow to lend support to your cause.  

Further, at Big Cottonwood East, there already is  separately enclosed fence areas where dogs can run off-leash.     Dog walker education is needed just as much as petitions like this many of whom do ***not*** pick up after their dogs as it is. 

2015-02-04 17:49

Nearly half of households have a dog, most owners walk daily with their dog, just happens to be one of the best exercises for humans, but dogs need to run and play. Off leash exercise can and should be a key element, both in health and recreational terms for city/county recreation.

2015-02-04 18:40

An off leash dog park is needed so badly in our area.

2015-02-04 19:19

Our furry friends provide a great excuse to walk and enjoy the beauty Salt Lake has to offer in the great outdoors. Socialized dogs are better behaved .... providing enough space to toss a ball or frisbee just makes sense. Let's share the great outdoors with all who live in our beautiful city and encourage activities that benefit the entire family.
Frustrated

#30 Re: Off-leash park areas

2015-02-04 19:29

#26: - Off-leash park areas 

I can't argue that owners should obey the laws.  However, there are few places to go.  Dogs that are socialized are better companions .... Dogs give their owners a wonderful excuse to get outside and exercise let alone provide a social atmosphere for our furry friends and their owners.  

We live busy lives ... how far do you want people to drive to exercise with their animals on school or work nights? People go to these parks because they are close to their homes and time is limited.  Let's share the open space, provide more space for our furry friends. With enough dedicated or shared open space, those who break the law should be ticketed.  

I know that our dog inspired us to take hikes near our home keeping our family away from the t.v. and active.  To ensure more exercise for our furry friend, we'd toss the ball or a stick, an illegal activity.  Our alternative is to take the same amount of time and drive the entire family to Parley's Nature park buring fuel etc to accomplish the same thing.  We pick up or dog's messes ... we love the outdoors, we want us all to be healthy, something more difficult on a 6' leash.  

2015-02-04 20:10

Given the number of dog owners, and the amount of open space, there is more than enough to designate some as off leash. The Salt Lake City mayor is the primary reason this has not taken place more often already. One just needs to look at how disgracefully one sided he handled the Tanner/Parleys park plan to see how against dog owners he is.
Remember to vote in the next mayoral election!!

2015-02-04 23:52

Dogs should be permitted off leash on all public lands wherever their guardians trust that they have voice control over them. Don't punish all dogs because some don't properly train and control their pets...also I don't want my dog to have to be subjected to concentrated areas where he's forced to interact with misbehaving/aggressive dogs.

2015-02-05 00:53

Thanks to everyone who helped put this petition together and to all who signed it. Happy, healthy, exercised, and socialized dogs are good for everyone, everywhere.
Misleading

#34 Re: Off-leash park areas

2015-02-06 01:34

#26: - Off-leash park areas 

Referencing the "Big Cottonwood East" Park. The fenced area is PRIVATE PROPERTY!! Used under certain conditions agreed to by a few dog owners.
Toby Clouseau

2015-02-06 18:54

My two hounds need to run.  Being that B&LCC are closed to animals, Millcreek is the next canyon option to explore with a dog, and it gets overrun on some days.  Great for the soical lives of the dogs, not always so great for the humans and their impact on the canyon.  I can drive them to Tanner Park, Neff's Canyon, or Millcreek on odd days, but it would be much nicer if we can identify some places in SL Co where there is room enough for large dogs to run (3-6 acres) in a more natural setting than a grassy patch with a bark mulch play pit.  I would be happy to donate toward poop bags and water amenities, refuse collection, help with volunteer clean up, if we only had a place to use.  

The property across Banbury Drive from Bywater Park would be ideal if the property owner and CH City/SL County can get an agreement in place to proceed.  It's large enough for big dogs to run, there is a variety of terrain, water, and two or three entrances from public streets.  Before it was completely closed to the public, several trash cans and a few poop bag dispensers were installed and partially funded by the users.  It was informally used by nearby on and off-leash dog owners, as well as sledders, bicyclists, walkers, joggers, and an obstacle course had been set up for a group event back in 2012 using the trails that exist on the property.  A lack of self-discipline by an extreme minority of users to pick up their dog's feces and control an aggressive animal forced the property owner to close it to everyone to stop interference with patrons' privacy and repsect for the nature of the business (a cemetery and mortuary).  I have been told that the city of CH has been considering working with the owner to put a park in place either though buying or leasing the land.  I would be in full support of this idea.

2015-02-07 07:06

Speaking of Tanner Park, I wrote to Mayor Becker and others about the lousy entrance points to the water we have now. One has boulders to climb over and break our legs and our dog's legs to get to the water, and the other has those mesh things to help curb erosion of the soil I'm assuming, but they're always muddy and slippery.

2015-02-07 23:21

I support more off leash dog areas. Referencing the comment about the Big Cottonwood East Park comment the fenced area is PRIVATE PROPERTY.

#38 Re:

2015-02-09 00:58

#17: -  

Helicopter servailence?! That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard. I promis you Animal Control doesn't have the resources, let alone cares enough to have "helicopter servailence" to bust people with off-leash dogs at the park. The police department doesn't even have eyes in the skies! Hilarious. 

2015-02-09 04:58

I think pet owners need to be responsible for their pets. I think that pet and pet owners in that responsible act should have the freedom to have a leash-less walk if they keep that mutual respect for their environment and the environment isn't so strict and in trusting .

2015-02-11 03:04

Lets make Dimple dal park ever other day dog day lets do even days there. How about it? Thr dog park in sandy is too small. We new lots more room to hike together without the leash.

2015-02-12 05:06

Dog owners vote, pay taxes and we deserve to be heard. It is about time the government we elected respond to our needs as you have taken away all of the areas we were previously able to walk and play with our pets.

More people own dogs than ride bikes, play golf, ride horses or ride skateboards or play soccer. How many of the above are ticketed for their activities. Who do you represent?

2015-02-12 05:16

Dimple Dell Park would be the obvious choice for a dog park.  It could be odd and even days for horses and dogs.  Why do the horse owners have this entire area to themselves when dog owners have nothing.  I walk this area often and seldom see a single horse, the only time it is remotely busy is on weekends, then there may be a total of 20 horses!  The Draper area also has a large equestrian area which is seldom used by the lucky few who can afford to buy horse property and a county offical.  During the winter the areas are almost never used.  It would be fantasic to be able to cross country ski with our dogs.

It makes me wonder what kind of money is donated by horse owners to our elected officals?

2015-02-13 16:42

It's about time we all took on this issue. I feel like a criminal every time my dog is off leash especially in Cottonwood Heights. Where I was told it is technically illegal to PLAY FETCH.

2015-02-14 00:43

Dogs need fun too! We need more off leash dog parks. The more convenient it is to get to one, the more willing people will be to go. Dogs need exercise every single day. We need this!

2015-02-17 23:23

Good judgement of the dog owner is key here. A well behaved and trained (controlled) dog should be able to chase a ball or walk along side the owner. Bad dogs on leash if the owner knows it's behavior is questionable. In the winter when the parks are empty of kids, great time. Sunday with families everywhere maybe a leash is good. Red butte area is ideal all the time. Crack down on owners who don't pick up after their dogs!

2015-02-19 01:08

Leave flyers everywhere!!!

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2015-02-22 01:27

2015-02-22 16:48

With two large breed dogs, to help them be healthy and happy and be good dogs in our community having a safe running area is vital. Our furry friends are good for our health and we need to take care of them. For many of us, this is our family, and not being able to provide them what they need. As tax paying citizens without children this is where I would like to see some of my tax money go.

2015-02-22 17:32

This would be such an amazing thing for the community!!

2015-02-22 19:21

This would be so great!!!