Developmentally Challenged have been denied access to services

Quoted post

#132 Re:

2014-10-19 03:17

#131: More info please -  

To start, handi transit is not responsible for these decisions. It is run by the city. This young man is not accompanied by anyone. Yes when assessed he functions between a 3-5 year level. The work he does at his day program is that what you would see children in kindergarten doing.  For him to ride handi transit  is no different than sending your 4yr old on a school bus to attend school. Would you put them on public transportion to get safely to school?  He is picked up at his driveway, he gets on the bus where he sits and wears a seatbelt.  When he arrives at his destination there is someone to meet him. Every rider on handi transit was sent for an assessment.  From this assessment letters were sent to the riders.  This young mans letter states...

"The Eligibilty Assessment Advisor has recommended that you have the physical ability to use conventional Greater Sudbury Transit for you transportation needs.  We therefore regret to inform you that you are ineligible for Handi-Transi service."

Never once have I claimed my son has a physical disability. He walks fine, dresses himself, can even tie his own shoes. What the Advisor did not recognize is the fact my son could not answer a simple question..such as how often do you ride the bus, how long have you rode the bus...he could not follow simple instructions such as, lift your left leg, stand on one foot etc... 

What it comes down to is... The city is only allowing people with physical disabilities to access this service. We are fighting for them to recognize there is a vast amount of different disabilities out there.  Please do not choose to only acknowledge physical as your only form of ridership. 

I hope this helps answer some of your concerns, if you would like to know more, please ask away.

i do agree with your final thought that each case should be reviewed individually. As long as it is not just based on a physical standpoint. 

Sincerely, the mother of the young man in question 

Replies

More info please

#136 Re: Re: #132

2014-10-19 10:28:08

#132: - Re:  

Thank you for the additional information. It helps to give insight into this situation and allows people to make more informed decisions, conversations and responses rather than ones based on an emotional reaction. Best of luck to you and your family and all others who may encounter similar situations. I will now gladly sign your petition.