Off-leash dog parks SLC

Quoted post

#26 Off-leash park areas

2015-02-04 15:59

You are showing a picture here of the pond at Big Cottonwood East of three dogs that here are supposed to be on-leash.    Frankly I don't have a problem with dogs being off-leash at this park, but a huge percentage of the folks walking their dogs there, and at Olympus Hills Park, and elsewhere simply already ignore the rules.   Follow the rules first and get others to follow to lend support to your cause.  

Further, at Big Cottonwood East, there already is  separately enclosed fence areas where dogs can run off-leash.     Dog walker education is needed just as much as petitions like this many of whom do ***not*** pick up after their dogs as it is. 

Replies

Frustrated

#30 Re: Off-leash park areas

2015-02-04 19:29:18

#26: - Off-leash park areas 

I can't argue that owners should obey the laws.  However, there are few places to go.  Dogs that are socialized are better companions .... Dogs give their owners a wonderful excuse to get outside and exercise let alone provide a social atmosphere for our furry friends and their owners.  

We live busy lives ... how far do you want people to drive to exercise with their animals on school or work nights? People go to these parks because they are close to their homes and time is limited.  Let's share the open space, provide more space for our furry friends. With enough dedicated or shared open space, those who break the law should be ticketed.  

I know that our dog inspired us to take hikes near our home keeping our family away from the t.v. and active.  To ensure more exercise for our furry friend, we'd toss the ball or a stick, an illegal activity.  Our alternative is to take the same amount of time and drive the entire family to Parley's Nature park buring fuel etc to accomplish the same thing.  We pick up or dog's messes ... we love the outdoors, we want us all to be healthy, something more difficult on a 6' leash.  

Misleading

#34 Re: Off-leash park areas

2015-02-06 01:34:56

#26: - Off-leash park areas 

Referencing the "Big Cottonwood East" Park. The fenced area is PRIVATE PROPERTY!! Used under certain conditions agreed to by a few dog owners.