Save Newmarket Stables, Durban

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Newmarket Stables, Durban.

2015-07-27 17:54

Everywhere you go in durban has a risk factor due to a lot of circumstances beyond the control of the municipality , armed robbery and pickpockets and bag snatching etc , yet the council decide to close the only place which has a safe family environment and free entrance to whosoever to allow for a soccer academy when there is place right next to the moses mabida stadium ,open ground which they can use . it is a disgusting decision and a very selfish one because there is a law regarding the destruction of heritage sites but of course  , who can stop us , we have the power to do what we feel like ,no consideration whatsoever for the communites that frequent there. but to God be the glory because whatever the logic to close the stables , know that He is still on the throne

2015-07-27 19:37

What a shame to deprive up and coming riders from using such a wonderful facility as Newmarket Stables. Surely you could find a more suitable site without forsaking this wonderful place.

2015-07-28 03:55

The stables flee market is a time out for the families after a busy week or day. There's entertainment, shopping and peace if mind that the kids are in a safe environment.

2015-07-28 05:12

As Newmarket stables are important.

2015-07-28 05:23

I use to live in Durban,and when I was just a little girl my. Father use to take use to newmarket stables to see the horses as we'll as walk around at the flea market.The goverment likes destroying things that is such a good memory for all of us,but yet again,they might take it and never use. The land what a waist and what about the horses that are to old to be homed????NO!!!! I say NO to what is happening!

2015-07-28 05:39

Because I care for my city, the horses and the people who faithfully have worked there and still work there....... Leave it as it is for goodness sake!!!!

2015-07-28 05:40

Newmarket Stables was such a huge part of my daughters life as she was growing up and she has only wonderful memories of times she spent there riding her precious "Camelot"

2015-07-28 05:50

We cannot lose this accessible venue, so much joy is brought to so many children and adult by having horses to interact with. Please save these stables, for their history and our future.

2015-07-28 06:08

Because I think that Durban needs to hold onto this historic aspect, one of many that make up Durbans character. Besides that, it employs people in a sustainable way. We don't need another soccer center.

2015-07-28 06:33

Newmarket stables does a very good job ,it employs staff who need the job and have been there for years . If ethekweni wants a football academy they must use the soccer stadium

2015-07-28 06:35

Newmarket Stables is Durban! WWithout the stables, so many children and adults, black, white, Indian etc will lose the chance to be outside on horseback and experience the wonder of horse and human combined.

2015-07-28 06:45

This is part of the heritage of Durban and still serves the community

2015-07-28 06:59

It would be a great pity for the stables to be demolished just for a soccer academy, soccer is an excellent sport, but so,is horse riding, where so many young people can enjoy a sport that is designed for boys and girls. I know Newmarket well, it's such an opportunity for the youngsters of all races, boys and girls to have the possibility of learning to ride and competing internationally as well! The area should be used just for soccer it would be a great mistake. So,I'm am pleading with you to please reconsider thank you in advance
 It's also an excellent pass time for disable children to give them some pleasure in their restricted lives,  it's done in the UK where children who are disadvantaged can ride in an enclosed area undered supervision,  the children love it and we have found it is very beneficial for the ,  the .durban authorities could very well be into a winner with this area. I'm sure neigh room could be found to accommodate the stables to the benefit of able and disable children....a winner all round.   .soccer is a great game but very limited to adult men inky....thank you once again

2015-07-28 07:30

It is the right thing to do for the city. We need the green area, we need the jobs sustained from the Stables and the Market, and we certainly need this only place for horses, private and police ones. We do NOT need a soccer academy there.

2015-07-28 07:34

Absolutely! The Stables is a heritage site for many people in and around Durban. It is one of the last places like it, we should fight to preserve all our sporting variations

2015-07-28 08:05

A place with such a beautiful history should not be torn down and no animal, particularly horses, should ever be without a home

2015-07-28 08:34

Love this place and support the work that is being done

2015-07-28 08:46

How can you expect stables to vocate. This is literally a landmark. Goodness me!!!!!!! This must not happen. Soccer can happen somewhere else. Enough money in soccer to carry premises!!!!!

2015-07-28 09:21

Because history, culture, sport, recreation should be supported not destroyed

2015-07-28 09:47

I believe that the stables should be retained for the community they serve. If for legitimate reasons they need to be moved then this must be done in an open and transparent way with all the affected parties to arrive at a mutually agreeable solution. High handed one sided decisions by councils and officials are wrong and have no place in our democratic society.

2015-07-28 10:01

Im behind your cause all the way!

Khulisa Friesian Stud
Cape Town

2015-07-28 11:18

To save the stables, horses and livelihood of staff/vendors who are affected.

2015-07-28 11:48

Newmarket Stables is not only home to the most amazing ponies & horses, but is the very last outpost in Durban for kids to learn about horses and how to ride. This activity, in a world where kids are pulling more & more towards technology & are fast & furiously losing a grin on a natural outdoor healthy lifestyle, plays a huge roll in a balanced society of the future. Newmarket Stables has become an important part of KZN Region of Pony Club SA's education program, who make this otherwise elite sport accessible to those less fortunate. Equine therapy has a vital role to play for kids with down syndrome, autism etc and the closing down of Newmarket Stables would leave a HUGE void in this sport for kids less fortunate. I really pray that eThekwini Municipality takes the time to fully asses the impact that their decision would have on the community!

2015-07-28 13:07

Newmarket stables is invaluable to the Durban City. The soccer academy can be easily accommodated at the multi-million rand facility next door (Moses Mabida Soccer Stadium) purpose-built for the 2010 World Cup. Leave Newmarket alone!

2015-07-28 14:24

To put down so many horses and put so many people out of a job just for a soccer academy is ridiculous! I mean, really, its just so wrong!