Rocky Flats - Demand proper testing for Plutonium

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Rocky Flats - Demand proper testing for Plutonium.

2011-06-06 00:59

As a an engineer, retired Navy Civil Engineering Corps Captain with nuclear warfare defense experience, and as a former Colorado Highway Commissioner, it is essential that (1) no exposure to nuclear radiation, especially plutonium, occur as a result of disturbing contaminated soil, and (2) that the full public disclosure from the scientific analyses mandated by the National Environmental Protection Act be adhered to.

2011-06-06 01:02

As a an engineer, retired Navy Civil Engineering Corps Captain with nuclear warfare defense experience, and as a former Colorado Highway Commissioner, it is essential that (1) no exposure to nuclear radiation, especially plutonium, occur as a result of disturbing contaminated soil, and (2) that the full public disclosure from the scientific analyses mandated by the National Environmental Protection Act be adhered to.

2011-06-06 18:08

I hope Rocky Flats is now clean, and stays that way.
I was part of the group of 18,000 people who nearly encircled the plant in 1982 (i believe) We all walked, hitch-hiked and rode our bikes from 360 degrees around.

#4 Testing

2011-06-06 21:44

Please take a few minutes and search "Rocky Flats" on Google, YouTube, etc. There is a lot of information out there. More testing and appropriate testing should be done - that's seems reasonable. Many people believe past testing methods were inappropriate - maybe flat out wrong. Why risk public health?

2011-06-21 06:27

The construction of a highway across a portion of Rocky Flats will almost certainly create plutonium dust that will pose a significant risk of lung cancer in surrounding communities-it is clear to me that there is a legal requirement to perform adequate ESI before approval of this land sale to developers.
Chuck in Evergreen

#6 Toll-road site contaminated with plutonium...

2011-06-24 07:33

As a physicist/engineer who has reviewed the most recent contamination studies of the Rocky Flats exposure units within the proposed roadbed construction corridor, it is clear to me that roadbed construction will pose a serious public health risk due to surface soil plutonium contamination levels at 50 to 1,250 times "nominal background levels". But an even greater risk to public health may exist if, as suspected, it is confirmed that multiple Rocky Flats liquid plutonium waste spill sites have undergone contaminate migration eastward toward the roadbed construction site during the natural flow of subsurface groundwaters.

#7 Yes to testing, NO to inappropriate development.

2011-07-13 21:19

There needs to be testing for plutonium, americium, enriched and depleted uranium on these properties. There is also a need for an updated Aerial Gamma Survey with ranges extended past the endpoint of the readings. This is the recommendation of Environmental Information Network, the people that confronted Rocky Flats and all the agencies for their misdeeds and coordinated technical testimonies to the Ahearne Committee and DNFSB until they agreed to close Rocky Flats.

A small group of determined people can make a difference. When the people lead, the leaders will follow.

2011-07-18 20:55

Please see my email dated 7-18-11 to rfinfo@lm.doe.gov for my full comment
Env consultant

#9 Rocky Flats: A Nuclear Tomb

2011-07-30 07:57

If you read all the EPA reports you'll find out that there is significant residual nuclear contamination that won't go away for a 100,000 years.

http://www.epa.gov/region8/superfund/co/rkyflatsplant/

2012-01-19 04:34

This petition needs to be brought to the attention of more people.