Improved Program Structure / GMBA-EN-BL2015-S2

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Improved Program Structure / GMBA-EN-BL2015-S2.

2016-01-08 09:55

Fully agree on no 3 and 4. For no 1 and 2, I think can be loosen a bit. For example, if no 1 (5 line rule) is strictly enforced, perhaps we can still go with 5 post rule.
Alain

#2 Re:

2016-01-08 14:07

#1: -  

I believe that the main issue with the post length is that if there is no public warning or mention of a post being too long, progressively people will continue to increase little by little the length, and then the five line rule becomes irrelevant. This is a particular problem when professors praise the content of long posts. In short, it sends the idea that length equals higher probability of distinction. By strict enforcement we mean that the professor must add in their reply a warning because of the length if it’s reasonable 6 to 8 lines, but, if the post is 8+ lines then a definite dismissal. Sometimes a post that adds a line more of good content is very welcome, however, when all continuously go beyond the limit it becomes a content coverage competition. To limit this effect, we believe that it’s the professor’s responsibility to openly warn and tag posts, and in extreme cases dismiss them from counting towards participation. With regards to the five post reduction, this is not because of post length; the main reason is to decrease the time sensitive nature of the forum and focus on quality over quantity, consequently, increasing the learning rate of us all. See below:

5 posts per class, per session, equals 10 posts over a 96hour period. ( 9.6 hours/post) With 310 posts to read of 5 lines=1550 lines over a 96 hours period. (16.15 lines/hour)

Vs.

4 posts per class, per session, equals 8 posts over a 96hour period. ( 12hours/post) With 248 posts to read of 5 lines=1240 lines over a 96 hours period. (12.9 lines/hour)

Warm regards,

Alain

Tarek

2016-01-08 19:30

I Guess Alain all of the professor mentioned that 3-5 posts are good, it doesnt have to be 5 and it doesnt have to be 3.

it is flexible for everyone, but for the rest I agree with you

Alain

#4 Re:

2016-01-08 19:37

#3: Tarek -  

Yes Tarek, thanks for mentioning the range. basically the proposed limit means 3 to 4 so this would affect the upper limit of the range only. Flexibility remains.

Wenbin

#5 Suggestion of Word Count Limit instead of 5 Line Rule

2016-01-11 13:56

Hello,

I would like to suggest an improvement for the existing 5 line rule. I have 2 monitors at home. When I view a post on my larger monitor, a forum post could appear as 4 lines, but when I view the same post on the smaller monitor, it can appear as 6 lines.

To remove ambiguity, I would like to suggest using a word count limit instead. Word count provides a clear limit for the length of a post. In addition, we can all see our word count when we are drafting the post on the forum, making it easy to observe and follow.