National 4/5 Practical Woodworking

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition National 4/5 Practical Woodworking.

2016-03-02 08:57

Please let common sense prevail, bankrupting departments and demoralising the pupils should not be built into the course.

2016-03-02 09:52

The emphasis on finish is OTT. No dents in wood? They are having a giraffe! And still no Higher course. The SQA are a waste of time and money.

2016-03-02 12:17

I have had experience of the amount of wasted models due to the lack of interest in them and this is made worse with the increasing cost of materials and reductions in department budgets.

2016-03-03 08:35

I am in full support what is being said and i agree hardheartedly about this on going problem. We have major problems with storage and by the time pupils can take their project home they have either left school or have no interest in taking them home because they are no longer in our department. We have now loads of projects sitting in a cupboard which have to be skipped!!!! Very wasteful.
Tommytank

2016-03-04 20:01

Been in the job 15 years now. Things are going downhill fast in Technical. I have lost all faith in the SQA. Pupils are now voting with their feet and the uptake for Graph Com much less. Currently trying to become a Train Driver. I am out.

High time SQA got back on track.

2016-03-07 13:53

The problems with the course are well known, the intransigent attitude from SQA beggars belief. Just admit to the errors and fix them...

2016-03-08 08:42

These are problems I have faced as a technical teacher
Geordie fae Techy

2016-03-11 11:09

Hi to all

I was a SQA verifier for the new course in Practical Subjects but sadly no longer, due to my opinion and disagrement of the policies and bully tactics.  I totally agree with what you are all saying about this course it is demeaning our subjects and pupils are starting to go away from the departments. I have contacted my senior staff, parent council and even the HMI but no one wants  to 'take the matter on'.

Hopefully if we all agree something can be done. 

2016-03-16 10:41

I felt very strongly about the issue.

2016-05-26 18:40

Agree that the amount of wood used is becoming a major cost issue. Students need more personalisation and ownership of their work, not being able to take their work home when finished and assessed is demotivating and affects commitment to improving their quality of work.