Save Strathcona Golf Course

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save Strathcona Golf Course.

2016-03-05 20:54

It is one of the few city facilities that I use

2016-03-06 16:46

I grew up on strathcona ave....the golf course was a big part of our community....if you keep taking away places for people to keep active....your promoting crime and unhealthy living to gain more ground.

2016-03-07 00:54

because Strathcona is a historic part of Thunder Bay sports history. Also selling another city golf course in the span of a few years is not right

2016-03-07 02:17

Save the course.

2016-03-07 02:26

Because I golf there alot

2016-03-07 04:01

To save the beauty

2016-03-07 14:50

Strathcona is one of our cities best places to golf and there is no need to build more houses in a town with next to no economic stimuli. Totally sick of shady deals the city is making for "housing developments".

2016-03-07 17:17

cuz city admin is stupid
Jp

#9 Supply and demand

2016-03-07 17:58

Is it too much to ask for a course to be profitable? No doubt the city courses are grossly mismanaged by charging ultra high green fees that force golfers to play elsewhere. But if they aren't going to develop a plan to profit from it then may as well sell. Maybe this will cause a shortage of tee times in the city in the short term, but it's clear what is happening now is not working. 

Love golf, but the prices being charged at these city courses is nothing to love. Sell. 

2016-03-07 18:14

As many do not know, both Chapples and Strathcona was donated to the city for the purpose of community recreation.  As stated by golfingnews.ca--

"[Strathcona] The golf course was founded in 1925 with the property being donated by Lord Strathcona and the Strathcona family," "This land used to be a tree farm and then they cut nine holes into it. A few years later the other nine were constructed."

"Chapples was opened in 1949 and named after Clem Chapples, who was instrumental in its formation through the donation of land."

This was a donation by families of Thunder Bay's past to benefit the recreational use and community involvement.  Not everything should be based on substantial profit.  As a community we must also be committed to active and social clubs, bringing in healthy life style and building communal relationships.  

I do not believe the families of Lord Strathcona and Clem Chapples desired their land to be sold to multi-million dollar corporations to sub-divide lots and establish a "housing development".  I am no property lawyer--but maybe there are some covenants in place restricting the use of land for such desire.  

JT' "( long John )"

2016-03-07 22:29

I love that public course. I have been golfing there since 1988' besides it being a very challenging course to play on. I love being a club member for 23' years because of the many men club tournaments and the comradery with the guys is always a blast. The "(Men & Ladies clubs)" are great and very friendly..!!

2016-03-08 00:39

Strath is my fav golf course in thunder bay..yes even more than fort william and white water..
My husband and I will be angry if this is allowed to be sold.
There really aren't any real reasons to sell this course.
I can think of 20 other way the city can make way more money that selling this course...If you do sell it it should be on the grounds that another group will keep it as a golf course...otherwise please don't make this mistake...yet again.

2016-03-08 14:39

I played there a lot when I lived in Thunder Bay. It is a beautiful course and the city would be foolish to get rid of it. It is a draw for tourists and a true asset to the city.

2016-03-08 15:00

My grandmother golfed this course yearly, into her early 80's... and this is where she and my dad taught my sister and I how to golf. So many memories.... and really the only course in the north end of the city...

#15 Re:

2016-03-08 15:01

#10: Member -  

amen!

2016-03-08 15:16

I grew up playing at this course. As did my uncles and many others. A lot of history at this golf course and it would be a shame to see it close and be demolished. If they want to sell it they should sell it to someone who will put some money into it and turn it into a thriving place for golfers again. Don't just ruin it.

2016-03-08 15:32

I live on Strathcona and it is a beautiful area. The facility is used by MANY people! SAVE STRATH!

2016-03-08 20:05

One of my all time favourite courses, I played there for approximately 20 years

2016-03-08 21:39

Golf is as much a city business as the Victoriaville Mall, Can. Games Complex, Conservatory or any number of other entities that compete with private interests. But Hobbs can't golf so.......

#20 Re: Supply and demand

2016-03-08 23:10

#9: Jp - Supply and demand 

Perhaps instead of blindly selling an asset - an asset that was profitable for City coffers for many years - perhaps a hard look at management structures and practices needs to be done. There have been no changes to the practices in many years, I would suggest trying to find alternative ways to make this business model profitable or at very least break-even. This is not an impossibility, and losing an asset like this without even attempting to fix it would be an absolutely travesty. 

2016-03-09 12:24

Not all things should be for profit. To save an institution that has served so many people for so long, and continues to do so, should be high on everyone's list.

#22 Re:

2016-03-09 14:27

#21: -  

We have many facilities that are subsidized by the city ie the complex, the community auditorium,parks etc.  As a community, we as residents need places to enjoy for ourselves and our children.  If we decide to close every facility that's not profitable this would be a sad place to live.

#23 Re:

2016-03-09 14:30

#19: -  

2016-03-09 14:52

Golf is everything to me. I built in Current River because of Strathcona and would be devastated to loose it. The city needs to keep it`s recreation areas including these 2 beautiful 18 hole golf courses. We are lucky to have them. Golf is not meant to be played on 9 holes.

2016-03-09 14:54

I'm not a city resident Mr Hobbs. I live on the Ft Wm Fst Nat reserve and have been golfing at the three city courses for over 45 years and it would be a shame for the city counsel to get rid of another golf course. The people that make these decisions don't even golf,ie: RJ as one. Things for the city counsel to priorize is the health and wellbeing of the residence through provided social and physical activities obtained through the sport of golf. It's not all about money.