WansteadPOPS

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition WansteadPOPS.

2016-08-09 11:45

Wanstead has always been a wonderful area to live and as parents we have felt our daughters were safe walking the high street but recent incidents are changing our feelings. A visible police presence will certainly help restore confidence. The wonderful village atmosphere needs to be maintained.

2016-08-09 12:04

Since our local police station closed I feel like the area receives very little support and protection. We seem to have been targeted as an easy area for crime and anti social behaviour yet little seems to be getting done about it. I am a mother of 3 and a dog owner so I am out and about at all times of day and I feel a lot more intimidated now than I was about 5 years ago.

2016-08-09 13:37

Wanstead is one of the few High Streets that has a community feel about it. Lots of older people live in Wanstead, both in retirement accommodation and their own homes. We need a very visible police presence both day and night. Please do not wait until something nasty happens.

2016-08-09 15:25

Because We need a police in Wanstead and Snaresbrook .

2016-08-09 15:36

The Cex or Coo of the hospital in Rodney road needs to control the patient day outs unsupervised and stop the drug buying in the street near nightingale primary school , which I have reported to the police. The authority needs to have more visible community safety officers especially during school exit times!

2016-08-09 16:47

My family lives there, I want my Mum to be safe. Wanstead is a beautiful area - let's keep it that way

2016-08-09 19:23

The begging on the high street is one thing but the abuse to random passers by, including children, is not acceptable.

2016-08-09 20:51

The begging issue particularly is a problem and I have been in contact with our local police and NHW colleagues as at least 4 of these regular local individuals, is linked to increasing drug use.
In addition, one of the two regular local lager drinkers was seem approaching an old lady for money in a side street.

2016-08-09 20:59

High st not safe

2016-08-09 21:49

Wanstead is a great place to live. It has always been a safe place, but I have noticed an increase in people begging. This along with the other incidents that have been reported and the now obvious lack of policing in the area is a something that needs to be addressed.
Theresa

#11 Re: Poverty and homelessness

2016-08-09 23:53

#10: -  

Yes, Wanstead is a lovely middle class area and let's face it if you were a beggar, because somehow, through some awful bad luck in life you (unlike "the others") ended up with absolutley nowhere to go, no family to turn to, no security or comfort - then maybe you too would choose to come to Wanstead because . . . well, why?
Maybe because in Wanstead many, many people have been kind to the "beggars". I have seen so many people offering comfort to those sitting crumpled on the dirty pavement. I have seen young guys buy a homeless chap a cup of coffee, I have seen elderly ladies take the time of day to sit and talk to the homeless people, I have seen the lady selling the Big Issue inundated by caring residents who bring her items of clothing for her family or give her a few pounds so that she can buy herself some lunch. I even saw one old chap buy a poem from one of the squatters which made me chuckle. I guess the thing is that of course we don't want to see scruffy beggars messing up the idyllic high street. We don't want kids being flashed at (obviously) or people having sex in phone boxes (although I don't think one has to be homeless to try this).

The thing is that we must address the causes of the problem: if the problem is impoverished, homeless addicts causing havoc on the high street then how can we actually help to improve their lives so that, rather than shift them on so that they continue to behave in such a self-destructive way elsewhere, we can actually support, educate, house and feed these young people so that perhaps they may aspire to live and work in a society which embraces them rather than create a barrier excluding them from everything we consider it our right to have.

I do not condone any of the anti-social behaviour I have read about. However, I would question the language used to report the events. "The black guy..." "A man with a limp..." descriptive or derogatory?

If there was a half way house for young people...

If there were places for these young people to fight their addictions....

If there was a homeless shelter in Wanstead... (Well, I know how many reacted when this was proposed on Cambridge Park a few years ago - many people protested . . . I was shocked at the bigotry!)

As a child I was abandoned. I spent some time in care. I was adopted by an amazing Catholic family. Every time I see a homeless person I shudder with the thought that I could be the one sitting there, having to swallow my pride enough to be able to ask others for a few pence.

How lovely that one restaurant in Wanstead offers free food to homeless people.

If we turn our backs on the desperately poor people who have suffered in life then who will they turn to?

If I had been left in that care home...if my parents had thrown me out...if my foster carer had not cared enough...if no one had given me a chance...if my father hadn't ... if my mother hadn't... if illness, sickness, mental health issues, depression...divorce...death...if...

I intend to open a dialogue with the 4-5 recently arrived homeless people and to offer them the chance to share their stories.

How did they arrive at such a place? And I don't mean Wanstead!

When we sign this petition I know we are asking for police presence which I agree is great - we need that Bobby on the beat, we need our elderly and young people to feel safe, we don't want to see threatening behaviour or crude, offensive behaviour or hear that girls are harrassed or boys threatened. Of course not. But if we could also reflect on the fact that for the homeless young women "littering" our society such fear and abuse, such harrassment and intimidation is an ongoing part of their lives. For the young homeless men . . . I have seen them sob for their families at every homeless shelter I have ever worked in. As an expression of our empathy perhaps we could start a petition asking for empty properties in Wanstead and Redridge to be run as half way houses for vulnerable adults? Perhaps we could demand secure care homes to be provided for the hundreds of homeless people who are suffering from mental health issues.

Wanstead is a very wealthy place but of course we have many people who are suffering from poverty - yet many of us who complain about hard times have wonderful homes and families, a good education and a place in society. I would love it if in Wanstead we could help the people who have ended up on the streets - just like the person who kneels beside the beggar for a second to express concern, our community could offer support, compassion and education to the very people some of us currently fear.

2016-08-10 11:27

I do not wish my children to witness this type of behaviour . This is bringing problems into the area. George green needs protection also.
Richard O

#13 Re: Re: Poverty and homelessness

2016-08-10 18:44

#11: Theresa - Re: Poverty and homelessness 

I agree with Theresa that the answer is not merely to move them on. Whilst more Police may discourage inappropriate behaviour, they are hardly equipped to deal with the issues which brought people to this state.  Of course, many people, from all backgrounds, behave inappropriately when under the influence of drink or drugs so that is not confined to those in the High Steet or on Spratt Hall Green! 

RJ

#14 What's the point?

2016-08-10 21:56

Spratt Hall Green, need to find that. True the matter cant be just shifted on to another area but isnt this just asking to crack down on behaviour that none of us want our children or there grandparents to be subjected to or have I missed the point

#15 Re:

2016-08-10 22:31

#12: -  

Yes George Green needs to be included too!

2016-08-11 08:08

I live in Wanstead and care for my environment. I want to live in a safe area and am becoming concerned with the lack of measures put in place by the local authorities inc police. I have lived in Wanstead most of my life, when I walk along the high street now I feel threatened, There are people having sex on the Green outside our home, copulating in the phone box on the high street, aggressive beggars along the high street who I give a wide berth. It does appear that a serious incident will have to happen before anything is done. Christine Thompson

2016-08-11 16:42

My daughter and her friend were verbally abused and recently chased across the busy road and right into, and then cornered in, the Co-op after an apparently drunk/high man attempted to take their bags while they were sitting in the park after school.
haleh

2016-08-13 16:22

Sorry but not very comfortable with this "not on my doorstep" mentality.

Wanstead resident

2016-08-14 07:12

The recent beggars on the High St are not homeless, the man who harasses women outside Tesco and the lady who targets the elderly to loan £20.

There is a homeless man who has been here for a couple of years and has never asked for money or made people scared to to walk down the High St. 

My point just because someone is begging for money does not mean they are homeless. 

2016-08-14 10:30

Because i have lived in Wanstead for 40 years and have seen a serious decline in general ...begging on high street, antisocial behaviour on high street and in the park, road rage, horrendous litter on the green and unkept premises.
H

2016-08-14 14:29

This is a totally unnecessary over reaction. I have lived here for 33 years and it hasn't changed much over that time. If someone is breaking the law then they should be arrested. Bringing in a new and pointless PSPO is over the top.

#22 Re:

2016-08-14 18:04

An over reaction? Have you even read the previous posts?? Perhaps we should wait until one of our daughters is knocked down in the High Street fleeing from abusers? i support this as something needs to be done.

2016-08-14 18:10

As far as I can see we've been abandoned by the police since the dreadful closure of Wanstead Police station under the equally dreadful Boris Johnson. Anything that brings Police patrols back into the area is a good thing.

#24 Re:

2016-08-14 18:14

#21: H -  

perhaps you should have opened your eyes during your 33 years! Police station gone, children fleeing from strangers up, flashers having a great time having been shifted from George Lane and Leytonstone by their PSPOs... yes dear, nothing has changed!!!

2016-08-14 20:39

Moving to Wanstead and although I have never seen such horrific behaviour in Wanstead, if it is happening then I want it stopped.