Let's Turn Over a New Planning Leaf

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Let's Turn Over a New Planning Leaf.

#1 Troy Planning Commission

2011-12-31 07:27

Yes! Let us please get back to the planning commission. Most of the brains and talent that  was on the commission is still here in Troy. Let's get'em back to work.

Doug Lolik

#2 Re: Troy Planning Commission

2011-12-31 15:21

#1: - Troy Planning Commission One only has to look at the number of historic buildings that were lost in the last 8 years in order to build big box commercial businesses and we have more than enough reason to redo the planning board.  We need indiviuals with appropriate credentials and talent to keep the unique beauty of Troy from being squaundered in the name of economic development which does not add to our tax base.  Please Lou, consider this petition's request and help save our wonderful city from the blight of irresponsible and selfish development.

barry

#3 how is a planning commission different than a planning board?

2011-12-31 17:35

I would like to know how a planning commission is different than a planning board? Is there a difference in the way the members are appointed? is one paid positions and the other not, or full time vs part time? does one have different powers than the other?

Also, I recall hints that Rosamilia is interested in better integrating planning, zoning and code inforcement. This seems to me an important issue as my limited experience with the actions of these groups has seemed very tangled and ambiguous. How would this possible integration fit in with this desire for a planning commission?
A Miller

#4 Planning Director

2011-12-31 18:04

Let's start a petition to call on the Mayor to appoint someone with experience in planning to head the department instead of a termed out political crony. Lou's nominee has no experience. Planning boards and commissions only approve or disapprove what is sent to them from the Planning Department. We should march on city hall and stop this. Join me at the first council meeting

2011-12-31 23:00

My husband works in troy and we both dine and attend cultural events there. The corner in question is just fine the way it is. We don't need another McDonald's!
Jeff English

2012-01-01 19:42

It would seem that now is also the time to have some qualification requirements written into the city charter, as well as some definition of the structure and process. The worst failing is that the Hoosick St plan that was reached through much participatory process was completely ignored by the recent city administration. There's some reasonable expectation that the new administration will be an improvement even under the existing rules, but you can't count on administrations of the future to always respect the will of the people.

2012-01-01 19:44

It's about time!!

2012-01-03 05:46

I am all for a new, efficient, planning board. Out with the old ineffective board and in with the new!
Wishing Troy a successful 2012!!
Dianne Trinkala
Bcon80

#9 Christie St. Planner

2012-01-03 14:21

I would hope everyone would carefully read the pulse of the people in today's Troy Record. It is very well written and raises valid questions about the nominee for the position of Planning Commissioner. I would hope that those who have signed this petiion would give serious thought to the person who will run the department. Not all change is good. This appointment will send the wrong message and send our city in the wrong direction. We deserve a public confirmation process where we can ask questions about qualifications, education, and vision.
Russell Ziemba

#10 Form a new Troy Planning Commission

2012-01-05 05:01

I have been to nearly every meeting of the Troy Planning Commission/Board from 1999 until the present. I support having a new Planning Commission composed of 9 members, with 5 members being: an architect, an archeologist, a urban planner, a structural engineer, and a local historian. There should also be a preservationist, a citizen activist, a realtor, and a lawyer. There are many people who also have valuable recommendations, so please consult the Troy Preservation Committee headed by Don Rittner, and former Planning Commissioner Barbara Nelson.